Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 4,463

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I'd rather they went with Guy and Hal for a meeting Sinestro story, but I expect it'll be Hal and John.

There's every chance they could eschew both and go with Simon Baz and Jess Cruz. Easier 'modern' material to adapt and they could always show a 'current' already yellow Sinestro and show Hal etc. in flashbacks šŸ¤”

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON this is true

i'm just happy Green Lantern is coming back in some way, especially after that movie

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo See, I don't really get people's beef with the movie. I mean OK, the cg suit wasn't a total success, but the direction, performances and even the script are fine.
It certainly has a villain problem, but Mark Strong's Sinestro was primed to solve that for the sequel.

In fact, there's a lot more I like about it than I don't.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON oh don't get me wrong, i enjoyed it BUT it did pretty much fail for DC and we haven't seen anything of the character in live action since bar that little bit in Justice League

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

Disney+ is Ā£5.99 a month or Ā£59.99 a year. Which is really good for service offering UHD content. It's also arriving a week early for UK viewers. You'll now be able to start watching as of 24 March 2020, a full seven days before the previous 31 March launch-date.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/disney-plus-uk-price/

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Iā€™ve actually been really impressed with Disney+. For the price, it has a boatload of content ā€” from classic full length animated movies, to MCU (minus Spider-Manā€™s films), to all kinds of Star Wars content great and small, to every random Disney channel show where the likes of Zac Effron and Selena Gomez got their start as kids, to loads of nature documentaries, to surprise inclusions like Flubber and Secretariat and The Simpsons...
Nevertheless, after watching The Mandalorian , the Star Wars prequels, and a few of the animated Star Wars shorts, I havenā€™t turned it back on in a few weeks now.

To be fair, thatā€™s how I treat Netflix as well. I just make nice, long watch lists of all the series that look interesting and then I never watch them. Some people collect baseball cards, some collect rare coins... I collect lists of shows I want to watch.

Itā€™s ok. People say itā€™s a waste of my money, but I consider my Netflix subscription is like paying my tax in order to live in the 21st Century.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

nessisonett

@Th3solution Have they sorted the aspect ratio of Simpsonā€™s yet? Last I heard all the old episodes were stretched and it cut off part of the picture.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Even if you only watch the star wars films, a years sub will most likely be cheaper then getting the box set that is being released at around the same time. I have Netflix permanently, only because my mum has a profile on my account. But I always have at least two shows to watch from the big N, and then rotate another service. At the moment that is Amazon Prime, so that will probably be rotated out for Disney+. I'm in no rush however, and if I'm in the middle of a series I'm enjoying, I'm not gonna suddenly ditch one service just because something new and shiny has come along.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@nessisonett I just checked, and it does look like the episodes for season 1 are probably partially zoomed in and the top and bottom trimmed a bit to make the aspect ratio work and fill the screen on my phone. It looks fine though and I canā€™t say it looks stretched or weird. If you hadnā€™t said something Iā€™m not sure I would have noticed. The early seasons look a little dated at best anyways.
I donā€™t see any settings or options to change the aspect ratio either. I guess it would have been nice to have the option to change it to the original picture for those who want the classic experience. Again, this is on my phone, so I donā€™t know how it might work on the TV app, Roku, etc or on a desktop computer; Iā€™ve only used the service on my phone so far and it functions really seamlessly and looks great. They do have a section entitled ā€œUHD and HDRā€ where I guess all the content that is compatible with the highest visual fidelity is. So if you are going to be watching the new High School Musical: The Series on your 77 inch OLED 4K TV then it should look good and take advantage of available technology.
The app also has both streaming and download options, btw. It works just like Netflix. It actually is organized a little better than Netflix, the menu and interface are a little cleaner and more appealing, and they have content organized into some nice categories (like the aforementioned ā€œUHD and HDRā€ or ā€œFeel Good Sports Moviesā€ for example). There is also sub profiles, just like Netflix so you can create your own watchlist separate from your family memberā€™s. I think it works like Netflix in that you are allowed to stream on two devices at a time, or maybe three, I forget. I think itā€™s two.

Edited on by Th3solution

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Th3solution

@nessisonett
Edit: As a follow up... out of curiosity, I just checked several other old shows ā€” The first season of Hannah Montana, Boy Meets World, and some episodes from the Animated Spider-Man TV series from the 80ā€™s and the one from the 90ā€™s, and they all appear to have kept the content in the original 4:3 square aspect ratio. Iā€™m not sure why The Simpsonā€™s appears to be the only one that was changed.

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution From what I remember from an article about it, there's a significant amount of cropping that affects a couple of visual gags here and there. Also, I think Fox did it previously for a streaming release on Hulu or something and Disney are just using the same source.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Ah, I see. I guess that is a little annoying then if the cropping affects some of the meaning of a scene. Thatā€™s what happens when a show has 30 seasons though ā€” the content spans a whole technological generation. Actually a couple generations. šŸ˜„

RogerRoger

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in...

Along with the news that we're getting Disney+ a week early now, this has cheered me right up.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Watched about 10 minutes of Avenue 5. Not very good at all, despite a good cast and being written by Armando Iannucci. It made the fatal flaw of just not being funny. Ah well, I try so many shows that thereā€™s bound to be a few stinkers in there.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett You only watched 10 minutes? I usually give stuff at least a couple of episodes before ditching them.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Genuinely, it was that bad. Me and my mum just looked at each other during the first advert break and silently decided that the show was not for us.

KALofKRYPTON

@nessisonett Ouch.

I think the inability to satirise the current political landscape with any sort of effectiveness forced him in to another genre. I'll give it a go at some point.

KALofKRYPTON

Apparently the Obi Wan TV show is on hold because KK wasn't happy with the scripts. Not read any more about it apart from that, but... Could they just get someone else to check them over rather than going by Kennedy's judgment?

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Isn't all this stemming from a parody Twitter account which joked that Ewan McGregor had quit the show, citing creative differences? I thought everything had been debunked.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic