Forums

Topic: The TV Show Thread

Posts 1,041 to 1,060 of 4,400

WanderingBullet

Tom Welling returns as Clark Kent in Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover.

I read that Brandon Routh is playing Kingdom Come's version of Superman too.

Don't think the other guy in the clip is big or buff enough to play Superman, though.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet
TH is a better Supes than I thought he would be, I must say. He's appropriate for the show he's in if you know what I mean.

Also, could be a bit spoilery, but there is a fantastic clip of Routh KC Supes and TH CW Supes out today. I fanboyed out a bit at work... No one here cares!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

WanderingBullet

@KALofKRYPTON No, I don't know what you mean. I don't follow Supergirl. Watched a few Season 1 episodes and thought they weren't very good.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet
Say if he was Routh's size as he is in as the Kingdom Come Superman, he'd just look a bit too big in comparison with everyone else. It's a scale thing. If you've ever watched Lois & Clark, imagine if Dean Cain was 5 inches taller and the size of Henry Cavill.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

WanderingBullet

@KALofKRYPTON Cavill's huge and would make the other characters look skinny in comparison.lol Routh is fine. Even Tom Welling's size during his Smallville days would still be okay.

Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet
If you aren't fussed about the spoilers, have a look for the clip with Routh and Hoechlin - the still doesn't do them justice

WanderingBullet

@KALofKRYPTON Thanks but I probably try to watch the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover episodes if possible. If I can't then I'll search for the clip you're talking about.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet The clip is from the 2nd Crisis episode I think.

I'm largely leaving them alone until the first three are done. Then I'll grab them and wait until next year for the final 2.

RR529

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina season 1 (Netflix) - A far darker & more dramatic take on Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, that goes all in on the more Satanic mythologies of witchcraft (I'll admit I was a bit nervous checking it out at first as I generally heavily dislike such theming, however I decided it's ultimately not that different than things like the Exorcist or the Omen which I can stomach, so I decided to try it out).

It was pretty decent, not bad, but not great either. I think it has the same showrunners as the CW Arrowverse shows, and I can definitely feel that same vibe from it, though a bit more higher quality production all around (like Supergirl & I assume Batwoman, it definitely has very strong modern feminist leanings, though it's not as amateur in terms of how it's implemented).

I started watching it for Halloween (just shows how long it takes me to work through a show, lol), and I liked it enough that I'll probably look into the next season once the holiday rolls around again.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

KALofKRYPTON

@RR529 Sabrina is pretty good. There's the odd eye-rolling 'right-on' moment (ans the big, very much not feminist one that's signposted from the start), but it is well put together.

Unfortunately unlike the rest of the Arrowverse shows, there really isn't anything positive to say about Batwoman. Top to bottom, production value, scripting, direction, editing, continuity, story, acting and casting are all markedly worse than the poorest episodes of the the other shows.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

Black_Swordsman

Any Twin Peaks-esque games out there besides Deadly Premonition? I heard that was similar to the show but didn't get very far with it, just got bored and sold it. Planning to get another copy one day though.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

RogerRoger

@Draco_V_Ecliptic It's a short and highly-stylised walking simulator, but I recommend Virginia (which was likewise recommended to me by a fellow PushSquarian a while back, when I said that I enjoyed Twin Peaks).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

Been watching The Witcher and I'm currently on episode 6. Never played the games before but I like Cavill as Geralt as well some of the fight scenes especially the one in episode 1. I do find some parts to be a bit boring though and the way the series is structured can be quite confusing at times.

Th3solution

Finally getting a little time to invest in The Mandalorian and my feelings are hopeful after the first couple episodes.

I won’t go into detail, but there was such a positive vibe that I was probably expecting too much, so for those who haven’t seen it yet and are highly anticipating it, hold your expectations in check. It’s better than it deserves to be, but after two episodes I feel like it’s a mixed bag. Some special effects are great, some are off-putting. Some of the acting is good, and some has the Star Wars campiness with a hint of cringe. The character development could use a little fine tuning, but overall I’m warming up to the characters. For a post-Disney Star Wars adventure, I think it’s quite good. Yet, when viewed strictly as a TV show, it’s not as compelling as some of the best things out there. Now this is only early impressions after two episodes, mind.

But can I say, the art direction and costume design are fantastic. I absolutely love the protagonist’s costuming. I’m amazed also that he is able to carry a show by mainly acting through bodily gestures since you can’t see any facial features. When your main character can’t convey emotion with a furrowing of the brow, a wink, a pursed lip, or a crinkle of the nose because he wears a helmet, ...well you’re already at a disadvantage. Yet we’re able to see confusion, frustration, curiosity, remorse, and concern — all through the way Pedro Pascal tilts his head or holds his arms. He’s definitely an understated and stoic character anyways, but I’m becoming accustomed to the way you’re supposed to connect to him. But yeah, that suit, armor, cape, ... the color structure of the outfit, the sheen of the helmet ... Ah, man it’s gloriously crafted and so, so cool. His rifle is positively awesome. I think its design rivals any weapon in recent memory. I want one. Maybe more than a lightsaber.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

Just finished watching The Witcher. For me, the timeline was really confusing and they didn't do a good job of explaining it. It doesn't help that the series likes to cut back and forth between the past and the present. The pacing was quite poor as well with a lot of expositions thrown into it that didn't explain much. Production values was good but not great, the lighting, sets and etc feels off at times, like the world doesn't feel believable enough. Speaking of lighting, I don't think they ever explained where those weird light sources in the Brokilon Forest were coming from either.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Thanks for posting your impressions! Can you do Arnold Schwarzenegger next? I try to avoid any reviews or anything like that when I know I'm not gonna watch something after everyone else, just to keep my expectations and hype levels in check. So many games and films/tv shows have not met my expectation level that I got in my head. Flip that on its head and some of the more enjoyable experiences have been when my expectations have been quite low and I've actually really enjoyed the game or film/tv show.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Lol, I don’t do a very good Schwarzenegger but I do a pretty spot on Jeff Goldblum. 😂

But yes, I did realize that the majority of users here are not going to have access to the show for another few months, so I avoided anything specific. Here in the States there is a lot of buzz about The Mandalorian, and so I had a huge hype building up. That’s why I say, don’t get caught up in the furor surrounding it and you’ll enjoy it more. I also don’t watch much TV and usually watch more movies in my free time (if I’m not gaming), so I am just used to the high production value of movies as opposed to TV, so that also has affected my thoughts on this or any TV show. When I eventually watch The Witcher, I’m sure I’ll likewise need to keep expectations in check.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

Well having caught up on TV stuff I thought I'd drop in with some minimal thoughts.

Titans finished OK. It remains to seem a little at war with itself but also remains very much in its lane.

The Witcher was fun to watch. Nice pace and timeline set up, and while I'm only aware of the books and games in passing, it feels very good. They don't waste any time bogging down the viewer but lay out a good yarn. Cavill seems in his element and the production, while small - is very nicely put together. The fight choreography is superb too, it puts GoT and new Star Wars to shame. Everyone looks like they're actually in a fight!

I'm up to date on The Mandalorian too. I'm tempted to say that it's perfect. Perfect expanded universe Star Wars. It looks fantastic, sounds fantastic (seriously, the score is mesmerising. Stallone Judge Dredd via Ennio Morricone) and is put together with such an obsessive care that you really have to go looking for anything that a Star Wars fan could call an 'error'.
It has the joy and reverence of execution of the animated Star Wars shows.

There's enough familiarity and 'fan service' without feeling forced while telling a convincingly Star Wars story that could've come from the expanded universe heyday.

It's minimalist without being sparse. Considered and tight without feeling like a production by committee.

Honestly. If the sequel films had been handled with such care and in the hands of people who love Star Wars as much as Favreau and Filoni obviously do... Well, my mind reels at the possibilities.

Anyway, if you are able to watch The Mandalorian - do. It is absolutely worth the hype.

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Well, there’s the counterpoint you my “keep your expectations in check” for The Mandalorian. 😂
It must really hit the high water mark in the latter episodes. Although I agree with a lot of your assessment, the descriptor “perfect” hadn’t quite crossed my mind as of yet. You must like spaghetti westerns.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic