Forums

Topic: The Pushsquare Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 921 to 940 of 1,032

Kidfried

Anyone.... watching CL tonight?

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried You need BT Sport to watch it in the UK, which I don't have. If they had something like NOW TV I would happily purchase a day pass or something as it is Barca v Liverpool tonight.

I think Liverpool have a good chance, especially with the return leg at Anfield and we are unbeaten in four games at the Nou Camp.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

Tottenham played really badly last night, making Ajax look like World beaters. Trippier looked out of his depth, Alli is a shadow of the player he was a couple of years ago.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Thrillho

Trippier has been pretty poor since the World Cup really. Walker-Peters must be wondering what he has to do to get a game.

Son being back for the next game will be huge for Spurs.

The Liverpool game ought to be good fun but I still won’t see it as I also don’t have BT and I’m not one to go chasing streams etc.

Thrillho

BAMozzy

I don't think Tottenham have the Depth of squad. You also have to look at how far they have dropped in the last month or two. Son has basically helped keep them there or thereabouts since Kane has gone but the loss of those has had an impact. The lack of depth is hurting them physically and it didn't look like they were up to the pace and speed that Ajax hit them with at the start of the match. The injury to Vertonghen also looked to have an impact.

Poch is saying he got his tactics wrong and the only thing I think he got wrong was thinking that, being at Home, his team would have most of the possession and be more on the front foot, that Ajax may have set up to be a bit more defensively, that they may not come out of the blocks as fast as they did.

In defence of Alli, he wasn't helped with the players around him. Without the likes of Kane and Son for Alli to pick out and hit the spaces out wide, it nullified his game. The lack of width offered by forward players prevents Alli from driving into the box - firstly because Son/Kane aren't out wide to get crosses in as he gets into the box and secondly because Llorente was occupying the areas he would normally drive into. Without the players like Kane and Son, eyes were obviously on Alli to do everything but the quality around him wasn't there either - not in this game - that would enable him to play 'his' game.

You have to remember, Ajax have knocked out 'world beaters' - they knocked out the reigning Champions in the last round...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Kyroki

We were shocking last night. We lacked enthusiasm and creativity — in the first half, at least. Sissoko coming on was our game changer, although we couldn't - and didn't - make anything count going forward.

From a Spurs fan's point of view, given our circumstances, I'm happy it was only 1-0, as it could've so easily been 3/4-0 by the 30-minute mark. With no Kane, Sonny, Winksy, Aurier, Lamela, a lot of us weren't expecting to win, but we weren't going to sit down and get rolled over easily which, as I say, should've happened.

Having Sonny back for the second leg is a huge boost, as well as Sissoko coming back from injury, but losing Super Jan is a blow in itself, but my hope is that with Sonny's energy and Sissoko back and doing his thing in the midfield, it'll give us the encouragement to go out and take the fight to Ajax in Amsterdam next week.

I know it's easier said than done, but two goals is all we need to make the final, and that's even if Ajax score once. We should've been down and out by the first half, but we're still standing. And even if we don't make the final, surely it's still a remarkable achievement given that we've not spent any money on players in the last two years. Also ponders that question if we had made some signings, would we have been in with more of a shot??

Still, I find it remarkable we've gotten this far in the first place.

Add my PSN: Kyr0ki_
Follow me on Twitter: @Kyr0ki
Twitch.tv/Kyr0ki

PSN: Kyr0ki_ | Twitter:

BAMozzy

@Kyroki You also have to consider that Spurs have been a 'young' team and also bought a new Stadium too. They timed the Stadium build well in my opinion - at a time when you have a competitive and young team so that transfers weren't desperately needed to keep competitive as players aged and pour money into getting a Stadium that will attract players in the years after.

If you look at Liverpool, whilst they didn't quite go as far as tearing down Anfield and rebuilding, they only gave it a refresh and increase capacity, until that was finished, Liverpool's transfer dealings were limited. I know they did 'some' transfer work BUT they also sold too and, actually were in 'profit'. By that I mean that the money they received for sales of players outweighed the money spent. When you consider the money spent by teams like the two Manchester Clubs and Chelsea, they are probably averaging a £100m a season. Until last summer, in the time that Klopp has been Manager, LFC had spent less on transfers than the money they had received for players sold. LFC were in 'profit' and had a 'nett' spend in the minus figures. Like Spurs though, they have developed Anfield and are also developing the training ground.

Point is, they cannot go out and spend £50m+ on a single player whilst spending Millions on building up the grounds and, especially in Spurs' case, having to 'rent' Wembley for most of the season too. Unless spurs are willing to sell their top young talent for mega bucks, they probably didn't have the funds in place to go spending money on players. A good CL run though will bring big revenue, finishing 3rd in the league will bring revenue and, now the stadium is built, they can probably start investing in the team.

I am a LFC fan but I want Spurs to finish 3rd. I always liked them, back in the day. I liked players like Ossie Ardiles, Hoddle and Waddle, Gascoigne etc. I was always a Liverpool fan but I did like watching Spurs too...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Kidfried

Rebuilding the stadium or not, the Spurs still has a way more expensive team than Ajax will ever have. In the last two years Spurs spent 110m on transfers, while Ajax "only" 55m. And if you go further back in time, that gap even widens as Spurs had no spendings on the stadium.

Also, I feel like Vertonghen's injury, even though it was a horrible thing, only helped the Spurs in the end. As soon as they stopped playing 5-3-2 the game improved a lot for them.

Of course, it's hard to say, because clearly Ajax also stopped playing as offensively after the goal anyway.

Can't wait for the upcoming matches.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried I can do that with the Premier League and NOW TV with a day, week or monthly pass. Champers League you need BT Sport which is tied to having broadband with BT.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

Frigate

The Ajax goal was a thing of beauty. Hot knife through butter has never felt more appropriate.

Frigate

Thrillho

Well, that could have gone better for Liverpool

Thrillho

themcnoisy

@Thrillho Tough game. Liverpool deserved a better result. Even the Mo Salah chance at the end could have been invaluable, now I think the job is too difficult. Another year without silverware beckons.

WanderingBullet

@themcnoisy Yeah, Liverpool had some good chances but didn't convert them. Also, if Dembele had scored that goal at the end I think it would've been game over for Liverpool but at 3-0 they still have a slim chance.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

Liverpool needed to be more clinical with their finishing. That has been my main critiscm for this season in the games we haven't won. I did think it was a bit odd not starting with a striker. Not that any that we have are banging them in at the moment.

Kyroki

Van Dijk just stood there like a traffic warden last night.

Twitch.tv/Kyr0ki

BAMozzy

Lets be honest, if that game had ended 3-2, 4-3 or even 2-2, that would have been a 'fair' result on the balance of play and chances. The game definitely wasn't a '3-0' game at all. The big difference was the clinical finishing and Messi. I have raved about his quality since he first came on to the scene as I was an avid watcher of the Spanish league on Sky and I am NOT surprised anymore by what this man can do. Virtually anyone else taking that free kick, you would expect them to miss 99% of the time but Messi, you are almost surprised if he misses the target. Salah should of scored, mane too but he was stretching to get any contact. Those two had the beating of Barca. Up until Keita went off, LFC were the stronger, were the most likely to score.The substitution seemed to allow Barca a bit more time and space whilst LFC adjusted to the change and Barca capitalised. The start of the second half, Barca couldn't get the ball, were being dominated in possession, in chances etc - at their own ground were they expect 65% or more possession. That 2nd goal was a 'sucker punch', against the run of play. That 3rd though was just pure class!

Like I said at the start, if the score had been 2-1, 2-2 or 3-2 something like that, you would say that was a 'fair' result on the balance of play, on the chances etc. It could have been 3-2 to Liverpool and people would say that was a fair result.

At the end of the day though, the score is what it is. Liverpool have come from 3 down before with just 45 mins to play - now they have 90, now they have Anfield behind them, and they know they had the beating of their defence. Ter Stegen kept Barca safe and Allison never really had a save to make. The shots were not really save-able given the way those 3 goals were scored. Milner should have had at least 1 - the one he fired straight at Ter Stegen and, with a bit more power and height, that curled Shot could have been very difficult for Ter Stegen to save. Liverpool can look at that and believe that they had more than enough chances in Barcelona to have won that match - now they need to convert them. An early goal or two at Anfield could make the 2nd half very interesting.... A special night?? Hopefully!!

Kyroki

What a way to get your 600th goal for Barcelona, though. That was mental.

Next week is going to be very interesting, for both sets of losing teams.

Twitch.tv/Kyr0ki

themcnoisy

Hopefully when Everton next make Champions League we can show these inferior teams how to win at the business end!

ROFL.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic