Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 881 to 900 of 2,383

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy Apparently that is still not enough for some people for English clubs to be considered successful in Europe.

@themcnoisy lol I googled it and it came up that it was in Merseyside, which was good enough for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

@JohnnyShoulder The first time EVER that 1 nation has all 4 Finalists!! Since 1972, English clubs are now the most dominant nation for finalists with 38 appearances of a English club, overtaking Spain who have 37. What's even more remarkable about this is that from 1986, English clubs were banned and, it took 13 years for an English club to make a Final and since that Final in 1999, English clubs have not featured in a final in only 5 seasons (02, 03, 04, 14, 15)

As I also said, Historically, Spain leads the way in terms of actual trophies won - thanks mainly to Real Madrid. As big as Barcelona is, their record in the Champions League (winners and Runners up) was identical to Liverpool's record - although they will move ahead regardless of the result - however Liverpool have a much better record as Barcelona have never won the Europa (or UEFA) cup. Italy are 'closest' in terms of trophies won but again, all these nations had the all the seasons that English clubs were excluded and the years that they had to 'catch' up to the Europeans. Being out of the European competitions meant that they were 'not' as attractive to sign for and also meant our football stagnated. In 92, the Premier League formed which obviously helped the teams financially to begin building squads, getting into European football, attracting bigger names etc etc. Its not surprising that it took a few years for an English Club to reach the Final for the first time since 85 and the ban that followed that.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

WanderingBullet

Liverpool have done really well to take it down to the wire. City's just on another level league wise. Also, it's written in the stars when your centre back scores a 25 yards screamer to win the game.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

Oh well that was a massive disappointment. But as long as there is not mass exodus I feel we can mount a title challenge next season.

Hopefully we can win on June 1st, it would be a shame if this Liverpool side came away with no trophy this season.

Whatever the result though, I'm so proud of Liverpool this season. We ran Man City a lot closer than most thought. I do not share the same thought that Man City have bought the league. Sure they have spent huge amounts of money, but the players still have to be coached and Pep has improved players like Sterling and Aguero. Man United should be used as an example of throwing money at players does not guarantee you success. They have too many players who are playing for the wrong reasons. I think that is one of the reasons Liverpool and Man City have been so good this season, our squad of players in the main have been up to the task when called upon. Compare that to Man United, and they got players like Sanchez and martial who obvs don't wanna be there and you can see that from their performances.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder Man Utd are now mirroring Liverpool in the 2000s.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

WanderingBullet

@themcnoisy I was going to say the same thing.lol

They honestly have been a mess ever since David Gill and Sir Alex Ferguson left.

Don't know what magic dust Pep had sprinkled over Sterling but he has proven that he can perform miracles. Sterling was a pretty lousy player before he joined City. All pace but no end product and football IQ.

WanderingBullet

Still if City continue to do what they did this season is gonna be tough for the other teams to win the title next season as well.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet A bit harsh on Sterling, he was hardly lousy just young and rough around the edges. Man City would not have bought him otherwise.

WanderingBullet

@JohnnyShoulder You're right. I probably should've said mediocre instead. But I really didn't think much of him back then. He was quite disappointing in a lot of the matches I've watched him played and I thought he was just another Theo Walcott or a Shaun Wright Phillips. I seem to recalled that most people thought that City overpaid to acquire him from Liverpool too.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Maybe, but he was really young so you could see the potential there, which is one of the reasons Man City payed the big bucks for him. And young English players you will always pay over the odds for. He worked really well with Suarez and Sturridge. I think in this country we can be way too critical of players, especially young ones. I could understand if he was like 26 then, but he wasn't.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

@Kyroki nice one bro. My favourite stadium is Fenway Park. More for the nostalgia or Madisson Square garden. I will visit those both one day!

#bucketlist

What do you think the score will be in the final? I'm going for 5-0 with 2 sendings off for Liverpool.

themcnoisy

What's with the crazy long wait until the European finals?

I don't know about you - but to me it's a stupidly long wait.

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy I think UEFA want the Champers League final to be the swan song of the club season and to be on a Saturday, so there are still some cups to be played such as the FA cup this weekend. At least the players should be fresh, no excuses for tiredness now.

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder I get that but 3 weeks without a competitive game. Seems a bit odd to me. If they brought it back a week everyones a winner.

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy When would it be played though? It was the final of the Prem last weekend and the FA Cup this weekend, the next free weekend is when it is being played. And that is just in England. I don't see what the problem is really. What's the rush bro?

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder 25th of May.

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy Copa del Rey is being played then mate.

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder they should put that game back a Week. Then the season will be wrapped up by the end of May.

So it's getting exciting round here. Next Saturday is going to be huge for Football. Absolutely massive game and a chance to make history.

So who's your money on England Women or New Zealand Women?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic