Forums

Topic: The Push Square Football (Soccer) Thread

Posts 861 to 880 of 2,383

BAMozzy

@JohnnyShoulder I agree Poch made the right changes but you have to admit, for the 135 (+injury times), Spurs looked like they had no answers to Ajax. Ajax should probably won at least 2-0 in the first leg and at half time, Ajax had looked most likely to score the next goal.

Fair play to Poch (who I have always said is a great manager who always gets more from his squad than other managers could) and congrats to Spurs too...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

JohnnyShoulder

@BAMozzy That maybe the case but is not always the team that has control for the majority of the match that actually ends up winning. The Barca - Liverpool match last week is another example, like you said if we were more clinical with our finishing it would have been a different story. But we weren't and we lost the match. The Ajax players looked a bit nervous after spurs scored, almost if something had been taken away from them.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet

Well, guess that's one way (and probably the only way) for an Eng club to win the UCL. When's the last time we had two Eng clubs in a UCL final? Pretty sure no one predicted this. lol

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

BAMozzy

@WanderingBullet Its happened twice before where 2 English clubs have contested a European final - 1972 UEFA Cup final (Spurs vs Wolves) and 2008 Champions League final (Man Utd vs Chelsea). Just 11 years ago, Man Utd beat Chelsea on Penalties in the 'first' and only previous occasion that 2 English clubs have contested the Champions League final.

Its the first Champion's League Final for Spurs but they did win the UEFA Cup (now Europa League) final against Wolves - the only previous occasion that 2 English sides have met in a European Cup Final.

I was just looking at the UEFA (Now Europa) Cup and see that Spurs are ranked 2nd (7th overall) as far as English Clubs (behind Liverpool who are 2nd overall) in terms of success with 2 wins and 1 runners up. In terms of 'success', Liverpool are joint 4th with Barcelona and regardless of the result, will move into 4th on their own. Both Liverpool and Barcelona have 5 wins and 3 runners up results - I hope it ends with 6 wins and 3 runners up of course for Liverpool...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Not quite sure what you mean this is the only way for an English team to win the CL? If you are implying english teams can't beat other big European teams, did you not see the game on Tuesday?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

BAMozzy

I know English Clubs haven't won the Champions League (and its Predecessor) as much as Spain - mostly because of Real Madrid's 13 wins (which is more than ANY other country's total) 5 of which were the first 5yrs of the competition. They account for the bulk of Spain's 18 wins - the other 5 coming from Barcelona. However England have 12 wins - soon to be 13 and rank joint 2nd overall with Italy (also on 12 wins) and that's after a lengthy ban from European football too.

Of course Spain again tops the Europa tables too with Sevilla winning 5 of Spains 11 wins - only 3 more than England on 8 - Liverpool and Spurs have 5 of those 8 (3 for Liverpool and 2 for Spurs) - If Arsenal and Chelsea both reach the Final, England will be 2nd to Spain overall in European Cup Final wins - They are going to be joint 2nd as Italy has 1 more Europa league wins with 9 and the same number (at least until June 1st) of Champions League wins. If an English club wins Europa too, they will move ahead of Italy as the 2nd most successful country in European cup final wins.

To me that says English clubs are quite successful on the European big stage and as stated above, only met twice before in either European competition - once in each (until June 1st). Of the 20 cup wins by English teams in European competition, 18 of them came against clubs for other nations. That's not including any UEFA Super Cup or Fifa Club World Cups...

WanderingBullet

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

@WanderingBullet Not quite sure what you mean this is the only way for an English team to win the CL? If you are implying english teams can't beat other big European teams, did you not see the game on Tuesday?

Yes, I did but how often does that happen, though? For the past 11 years English clubs have only won it twice (one of them was an all English final which @BAMozzy said) but Spanish clubs have mainly been the winners of this competition. Some of the big European clubs are on a decline. Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are going through a rebuilding phase.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

dellyrascal

Just to claify the rules of qualification:

No country can have more than five sides qualifying for the Champions League.

The Top Four would qualify, unless the Champions League winners were positioned outside the top four, this would mean the fourth placed side would be in the Europa League instead and the Champions League place would not be passed on.

The Europa League winner does not technically affect the top four in England, so if a side from the Top four won the Europa League, that Champions League place would also not be passed down in any way.

So, basically if the current top four of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham was to stay the same, only Arsenal winning the Europa League would add a fifth team from England to the Champions League.

PS - Cant believe my Spurs are in the final, considering how much of a shambles we have been..

Edited on by dellyrascal

I stood there chattering in excitement, like a necrophile at a bus crash....

Twitter:

dellyrascal

@Kyroki - Ha, yes for my sins, 40 years or there abouts, going by my earliest memories (aged about 3). Still remember my dad getting rather annoyed at being held by non-league Altrincham in the FA Cup!

@WanderingBullet I wish they wouldn't, the ticker cant take it after all these years of struggle

I stood there chattering in excitement, like a necrophile at a bus crash....

Twitter:

Mergatro1d

COYS!!!!! What an amazing night! I'm still shaking from it

Mergatro1d

PSN: mergatro1d

JohnnyShoulder

@Kyroki or spurs to lose by more than 4 goals and Arsenal to win by 4 goals. Job done!

themcnoisy

Chelsea making hard work of this.

I once heard Higuain was a good player. He's played 5 or 6 passes to no one and is slower than the movement speed in Everybodys gone to the rapture.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

ApostateMage

@themcnoisy Haha.

Lacazette and Aubameyang were ruthless in Spain tonight. Great result for the Arsenal.

ApostateMage

BAMozzy

So an all English Europa Cup Final and an all English Champions League final...

JohnnyShoulder

If both teams played like they did tonight in the final, Arsenal will wipe the floor with Chelsea. But it's a one off game so all that goes out the window normally.

themcnoisy

@BAMozzy 4 English teams going through but the bigger point - 3 teams from one City in both the European finals. I don't think we will ever see that again.

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy i think Tranmere fans might have something to say about that.

BAMozzy

@themcnoisy I don't think we will see 4 teams from one nation competing in the final let alone 3 from one city. I can't think of any nation that has more than 2 'big' clubs that could qualify for Europe other than London so I don't think it would be possible unless 3 London clubs are in the finals again.

We will move further ahead of Italy in terms of successes in European wins...

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder Tranmere is in Birkenhead.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic