Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 301 to 320 of 2,192

nessisonett

@johncalmc It really does make me Run The Jewels. Clearly the most Run The Jewels release by Run The Jewels yet.

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Herbie Hancock is probably the obvious choice. Miles Davis’ 70s stuff is also on the funky side of jazz. And then there’s the Persona 5 soundtrack!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Thanks, planning to get River: The Joni Letters. I've got Dark Magus already.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

I am thinking of getting some Aaron Copland on vinyl. Does anyone else like his stuff? Recommend a particular album?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

Pig Feet is the ‘Fight the Power’ of the 2020s. One of the most intense, timely and raw songs I’ve heard in years. There really aren’t words to describe the feelings it conveys, I just recommend you listen for yourself because it’s the musical equivalent of ‘the straw that broke the camel’s back’.

nessisonett

Pretty neat hearing Kero Kero Bonito doing the theme for Bugsnax! Love them, they’re great to see live and Sarah Bonito is honestly the sweetest person irl.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Their first two albums are brilliant, Pinkerton’s my favourite and the most consistent they’ve ever been. Songs from the Black Hole would have been amazing but as it never happened, they instead decided to sink any artistic integrity they had and release crap music for the next 20 years. Raditude in particular is legitimately one of the worst albums I’ve ever heard. I recommend picking up Pinkerton’s deluxe edition as it includes quite a few songs that would have appeared on SFTBH and they’re great.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett You didn't like Maladroit? I think that that's a great album! I agree that Pinkerton and Weezer (Blue Album) are great albums but Pinkerton and Maladroit are my favourites in their catalog. i think I like how dark Maladroit is, in addition to having great melodies, reminds me of Pinkerton in that regard. I had Pinkerton on CD, mean to get it on vinyl as well. But Maladroit stands out in the midst of their back catalog particularly well, as it features heavy metal riffs, traditionally "uncommon to Weezer albums".

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Did you ever hear Actions by Don Cherry? That's a great free jazz record, I highly recommend it if you don't already have it/haven't heard it.

Black_Swordsman

Does anyone like any of these artists: Scorpions, Weezer (Maladroit album), Yngwie Malmsteen, Mastodon, Fates Warning, Slayer?,

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Don Cherry’s pretty good yeah. Always found it funny that he’s Neneh Cherry’s step-dad cause Buffalo Stance is an absolute bop.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yeah, Buffalo Stance is always amusing to listen to. They play it on 6Music sometimes.

Kidfried

Listening to Black Country, New Road a lot these days. Well, the only two singles they have released so far. Post punk, new wave, free jazz? No idea how to classify it, but it's way crazy.

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Oh man, Sunglasses is such a great song. Definitely way out there but with them, Black Midi, Daughters and Tropical F*ck Storm, it feels more like a post-punk revival than even the early 2000s.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett @Kidfried Yeah, Black Country New Road are awesome, any idea when they are putting out a record on vinyl? It seems like their two songs have been out for ages but no follow-ups are apparent on the horizon. Perhaps we'll see a Winter release. @nessisonett I really like Tropical F*ck Storm as well, Braindrops is a decent album, but I haven't really been feeling rock recently, apart from the classic rock radio stations, I don't really listen to any of the heavier stuff any more - But a year or so ago on 6Music, when Iggy Popp played them - Oh man, it was a revelation.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Rock and its wider scene seems to be in a bit of a lull but there’s definitely some light at the end of the tunnel. Yves Tumour’s new album showed that mashing rock and hip hop together could make for some really interesting sounds. As much as I have a soft spot for Kid Fido’s Speeding Bullet 2 Heaven, it’s pretty terrible and doesn’t really show off rock/hip hop in a good light 😂😂

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett And who could forget.... Anthrax & Public Enemy's 'Bring Tha Noise'? Give it a listen on Spotify if you haven't heard it already. Scott Ian does the rap when they play it live.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic