Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 261 to 280 of 2,197

nessisonett

I finally got round to listening to Heaven to a Tortured Mind by Yves Tumor and it’s seriously incredible. Definitely the best album this year by quite a margin and they’ve finally hit their true potential. It’s loud, psychedelic, abrasive and an absolute gem. 4.5/5

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

Does anyone else here like Bill Orcutt's music? Or the band he was in before he went solo?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

New Charli XCX dropped tonight and naturally as a huge Bubblegum Bass/PC Music nut, I gave it a listen. Being recorded exclusively in isolation and mostly mixed by Charli herself, it’s rough around the edges but the heart is there and it honestly might be the better for it. The harsher textures created from the mixing clash nicely with her vocals and the album’s just one banger after another. The perfect isolation party album and a solid 4.5/5.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Aye, we need more isolation party albums during this time. What else have you been listening to? Mostly jazz, I presume Did you listen to Scoholofo?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic Honestly, I haven’t much been in the mood for jazz recently. I’ve mostly been catching up on some albums that I hadn’t got round to yet. I thought Fiona Apple’s new album was decent but not as revolutionary as many people are saying tbh. I also delved into my backlog and listened to albums like Bjork’s Vespertine (brilliant), Burial’s Untrue (also brilliant) and Faith No More’s The Real Thing (not so brilliant).

Black_Swordsman

Yeah, when it comes to Faith No More, I would recommend Angel Dust, as that is an all-round music fan's cup of tea, however, you may also like King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime, but THAT is much heavier. From what I know of your music taste I would highly recommend Angel Dust over KFAD, but try it if you find the odd heavier track on Angel Dust enjoyable, I think there's only two of them that meet that criteria.

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic The only thing I really feel about Faith No More is that at least they aren’t Mr Bungle, my least favourite band of all time. Their self titled album is probably the worst album I’ve ever heard and I listened to that Corey Feldman album in its entirety. Haven’t listened to that Nostalgia Critic’s The Wall yet though, which I’ve heard is genuinely unlistenable.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett Yes, but surely we can agree Mike Patton is a great singer? He's very talented imo, if you don't like Mr Bungle, my advice is to stay away from KFAD as that has some quite Bungle-ish moments, but Angel Dust is pure gold. Do you think you'll listen to that one when you get the chance?

nessisonett

@Draco_V_Ecliptic I’ll probably get round to Angel Dust, it’s on my list. I find Mike Patton quite grating, his voice definitely borders on ‘nails on a chalkboard’ at times. I listen to loads of bands where the singer can’t sing but his voice just hits a certain nerve.

nessisonett

Untitled

It’s incredible how good condition this is even though I bought it for £5. I swear, they just don’t make them like they used to, the sound quality isn’t bad at all but I’m not a fan of the Dolby noise reduction, it flattens the audio and I actually like the fuzz. I have a few cassettes but my collection isn’t as big as my vinyl collection. I know they don’t sound as good but certain albums are hard to find on vinyl and cassettes were unjustly displaced by CDs.

nessisonett

@LN78 They’re a much nicer collectors item than a CD. Obviously I understand that at the time, CDs were the better option but now that we have digital, streaming etc, tapes are a neater, cheaper package that I honestly believe have more relevance today.

nessisonett

@LN78 There are so many albums that are either incredibly expensive on vinyl or just haven’t been printed on anything other than cassette. I’d rather own them physically and shoegaze benefits from the hiss.

nessisonett

@LN78 Chuck Pearson’s Eccojams is one album that I’d love to own but is only on tape and is £1500 and above despite being released in like 2010. Then there’s all the old demo tapes from bands back in the 80s and 90s that aren’t exactly going to get an LP release. It’s way easier to curate a collection of lo-fi content than waiting for remasters which may never come. To be fair, I do agree there’s a hipster trend of releasing new music on tape that I’m not exactly fond of, like who would buy Harry Styles on tape...?

nessisonett

@LN78 Loads of underground punk and hip hop albums have been lost to the passage of time in the same vein as those B-movies. It’s not really any different from all those NES games that’ll never get a remaster for reasons such as licensing.

nessisonett

@LN78 I have nostalgia for Minidisc just because of GameCube. They were great little discs although I didn’t quite get why the boxes were the same size as PS2 boxes like why not take advantage of the medium?

nessisonett

@LN78 Ohhh right! They actually look a bit like a cross between UMDs from the PSP and a floppy disk! That plastic cartridge is a great concept though, makes them easy to store and stops the disc from getting scratched.

nessisonett

Ordered an absolute gem of a cassingle for only £5, The Only Ones’ Another Girl, Another Planet with The Psychedelic Furs’ Pretty In Pink as a B-side. Strange pairing but two classic songs and I don’t own any 2 band singles on any format. Will sit pride of place next to my translucent pink Barbie Girl 7”.

Edited on by nessisonett

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett I clicked on this thinking it was the TV thread and wondered what on earth you have been watching! 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett A proud addition to your collection!. I recently got a couple of Bill Orcutt's records on vinyl. Avant-blues experimentation and improvisation, really dig it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic