Forums

Topic: The Music Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 2,192

KALofKRYPTON

@kyleforrester87 Rock & electronic is fine. WTF is prog rap? Or is that what folk are calling experimental hip-hop these days?

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

kyleforrester87

@KALofKRYPTON haha I had to check it was a genre too, I don't really think it is. To be honest these labels confuse me a bit, but I am more of a post rock kinda guy. As for electronic I'll go for most genres.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

KALofKRYPTON

@kyleforrester87 I don't mid a bit of experimental hip hop. Always feels closer the roots of the form than most other rap genres these days.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Jaz007

Does anyone have suggestions good goth rock (or other genres with a goth spin I suppose ), I’m interred in trying it out, but I’m not sure where to start.

Jaz007

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007

Probably best to start with Sisters Of Mercy... You've probably heard something by them along the way.

Jaz007

@KALofKRYPTON Thanks, I just got some songs off of their greatest hits album. I'll let you know what I think.

Jaz007

KALofKRYPTON

Temple of Love and This Corrosion are pretty much all you need to listen to

Thrillho

@Kidfried A very belated reply but my album of the year so far is Jon Hopkins - Singularity.

I love a bit of electronic music but am a bit fussy when it comes to that genre but I've listened to this album so much (and loads of the previous album Immunity as well after only discovering him this year). Four Tet's album from last year was also fantastic.

Thrillho

KALofKRYPTON

@Thrillho Have you tried Kavinski? His Outrun album is a delight.

Kidfried

@Jaz007

Some gothic rock stuff I can recommend:

• The Cure, just listen to their album Seventeen Seconds. It's the cornerstone album in the genre.
  • The new MGMT album (Little Dark Age, 2018) actually is a great gateway album for gothic rock. Sure, it is poppy, but the gothic vibe is undeniable as well.
  • Two other favs of mine: "Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju" and "Bauhaus - Mask".

Kidfried

JJ-firl

Warpaint! They got a psychedelic rock / dreampop vibe going on, which I really like. I've been following them for a couple of years now and watching these girls jam never gets old.

Here is a Yours Truly live session from 2011. Their newer work is great too but their album "The Fool" got me into them and was defining for their sound. Enjoy!

Edited on by JJ-firl

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

Th3solution

Have been doing some travel lately and so although my gaming time suffered, I listened to a lot of music. I like many kinds of music but especially have been in the mood for classic rock lately.

I submit these 5 songs that you simply can’t turn off when the come on the radio:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - “Freebird”
Boston - “More Than A Feeling”
Scorpions- “Rock You Like a Hurricane”
Cheap Trick - “I Want You to Want Me”
Rush - “Limelight”

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

DerMeister

So, on the 16th this month I'll be going to The Bomb Factory in Dallas to see the Japanese band Scandal. It's a four piece girl band that's made themes for Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach. They kinda sound like your usual pop rock, but they've had consistent quality over the years and are probably my second favorite Japanese band (only behind Asian Kung-Fu Generation).

Here's two songs, Shunkan Sentimental and Image. The former was their song for Fullmetal Alchemist and the latter is one of my personal favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEkerSi5Fig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gx8jnBOqFo

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Kidfried

@DerMeister Have fun. I don't know the band, but watching music live is the best thing anyway, and the songs sound pretty cool.

For some strange reason I find myself having this band stuck in my head for the last week. I wonder why:

Kidfried

Kidfried

Recently I've been listening a lot to the 2017 St. Vincent album, Masseduction. The album has been described as a more 'alternative' Taylor Swift record, mostly because it has the same producer as 1989, I think.

Don't care about these kind of comparisons too much, but it's very clear that the album is way more poppy and radio friendly than her previous rock albums.

What are you lot listening too rn?

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Thrillho

I'm old school and still like physical releases and am currently waiting on the delivery of;

re:member - Olafur Arnalds

All That Must Be - George FitzGerald

Kin (Original Soundtrack) - Mogwai

Dance Music - Mastersystem

Three predominantly instrumental artists and then one by a band I've not listened to. The latter is bittersweet as the band contains Scott Hutchison, the lead singer of Frightened Rabbit (one of my favourite bands), who committed suicide earlier this year so it's weird that I'll never hear it live...

Thrillho

SilentE

@WanderingBullet - They updated and said it wasn't from Kingdom Hearts but Glass Sky from Tokyo Ghoul. I need to listen to that track soon. I really like what I've heard from the new Eminem album, it gave me chills as it reminded me a lot of the old Em.

SilentE

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic