Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 881 to 900 of 8,930

Th3solution

@RogerRoger @FullbringIchigo Thank for the clarification. I haven’t watched much of any of Clone Wars or Rebels, being one of those who dismissed it since it was an animated series. (I mis-spoke on my earlier post when I mentioned Clone Wars being my least favorite and I meant Attack of the Clones, so I corrected that foible in that post) Of course now my curiosity is really piqued to see Clone Wars and see how Maul survives. But you’re right, many people, even fairly large SW fans like myself, haven’t touched the animated stuff and are clueless about the plot there and so Disney would be wise to somehow pull all those people up to speed. Perhaps that Maul movie will revisit the highlights from the animated series.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Like the prequels, The Clone Wars show grew up with its audience. It starts as a kinda-lighthearted action show, although there are some moments of genius exploring the brotherhood between the various Clonetroopers and laying the groundwork for larger storylines, but by the fifth season it's become a mature, complex narrative with incredibly compelling characters, both established and new. Those who stuck with it almost universally agree that it does nothing but strengthen the prequels and, funnily enough, it's the re-introduction of Maul which people cite as the turning point. If you're only interested in his storyline, start with Season Four. Each episode begins with a little introduction which, where needed, recaps anything you may need to remember. If you can, though, catch all of it. It's very, very good Star Wars.

Whether Disney will re-tell some of the story in a standalone Maul film, or simply wave away speculation whilst giving die-hard fans a knowing wink, well... we'll have to wait and see. Either approach could work. One thing's for sure; I'm much, much more excited about the future of the franchise now. Episode IX can be whatever it wants to be. I'm here for Maul.

@FullbringIchigo Projectors, no matter how good, fade over distance and the bigger the cinema, the longer the light has to travel. That's gotta be it, I'm sure of it. I'm also convinced that some of the emergency lights left on in the isles and doorways are brighter than ever before, probably because of some Health & Safety directive, and that may play a small part.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KirbyTheVampire You're not alone. I have my issues with the new films, but I'm a die-hard Star Wars fan and even I reckon that Disney are gonna cause franchise fatigue before long.

I think we could use a break of a year, maybe even two. The previous trilogies released one film every three years. With what Disney have announced thusfar, we're currently on the fourth of potentially nine consecutive years of Star Wars films. It's too much.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@Th3solution @RogerRoger @FullbringIchigo I wasn't really too fussed about Solo, figured I'd watch it at some point but wasn't going to rush to see it. Having just clicked on your spoiler tags out of curiosity, I'm quite keen to watch it now.

My kids watch Clone Wars, so I've dipped in and out of it. It's very good

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Th3solution

Star Wars and the MCU are real cash cows right now. When you factor in all the merchandising and supplemental income from TV, games, toys, T-shirts, in addition to the movies, Disney has surely made back its $4 billion in just these few years. It’s mind blowing. I too hope they don’t run it into the ground.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KirbyTheVampire

@RogerRoger I agree for sure. It's just human nature to get bored of something if it's shoved in your face over and over.

@Th3solution I personally enjoy the MCU movies far more than I do Star Wars, which basically feels soulless at this point with these new movies, but yeah, it's definitely a cash cow. The money they're making from those movies is unreal.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Victor_Meldrew

Solo is utter garbage, L3 is the worrst character ever, lots of eye rolling childish writing. The second half of the film is better but still boring. There is a random death scene half way in the film and Landos reaction made me laugh pretty hard. Stupid crap.

Victor_Meldrew

stinkyx

Personally, I loooved SOLO! So far it’s my favorite of the new films. Should note that Attack of the Clones is my favorite favorite LMAO. But I should also add that my wife (who loves Han Solo and was super apprehensive / pessimistic about this movie) and some other Star Wars fans I know that hate the prequels and only tolerated the other new films also really enjoyed it.

Would recommend it, actually. Despite the trailers being horrible, it’s a solid fun film IMHO.

Edited on by stinkyx

Make it a great day!

PSN: tearatherflesh

WanderingBullet

What did you guys think about how Han got his last name Solo? I thought it was dumb and lazy writing by the writers.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Th3solution

@WanderingBullet Yeah, that was a little lame. They just mailed it in there. It was like they were answering a question that wasn’t being asked. I’ve never wondered how he got his last name. Nor the same thing about the Skywalkers or Kenobi or Calrissian or anyone. Actually it cheapens the Solo name to know it was made by a random Imperial Recruit representative. Lol

WanderingBullet

@Th3solution Han Solo is a cool name but for some reason it also feels weird that Han decided to keep the name after that. Plus don't imperial soldiers get "serial numbers" instead of names? Another weird name was Lady Proxima which I felt didn't fit how that creature looked at all. Wonder if the writers got it from Proxima Midnight.haha

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

leucocyte

whilst hardly cinematic brilliance, i personally enjoyed solo: a star wars story. it's a bit grittier/grayer than most star wars movies, and not relying on jedi/force stuff benefitted it my opinion. certainly better than deadpool 2 was which on another level of awful...

leucocyte

RogerRoger

So, thanks largely to all the talk around Solo and that cameo and also because it's been quite a while since I watched them all in order, I watched Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace and will be cracking on with everything else in the coming weeks... and months, because "everything in order" now includes five-and-a-half seasons, plus an opening film, of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

For me personally, The Phantom Menace remains near-perfect. I do have newfound sympathy for those who lamented the Special Editions of the original trilogy, however, because whilst I don't mind any of the changes to those films (with the possible exception of Vader's first, short "no" in Return of the Jedi which now, unfortunately, drowns out Luke shouting "Father!") I do loathe the changes made to the prequels on Blu-Ray. The extended podrace sequences aren't bad ideas, but the CGI used isn't to the same level as the original theatrical release, and some shots are poorly placed and edited. The removal of the "Vote now!" destroys the dramatic crescendo of the Senate scene, and Artoo's beeps are sorely missed. I don't mind the extended arrival on Coruscant, though; anything to see more of that amazingly gorgeous planet, I'm in full support of.

Otherwise, what a beautiful film. The blending of miniature and cutting-edge CGI remains as mindblowing as ever; outside of those extended inserts, this film is a visual treat, with detail packed into every frame. It makes the new films look like backyard shoestring productions (Scarif and Crait aside) and the sound design is perhaps my favourite of all the franchise, particularly during the podrace and the huge, four-part finale... yet some of my favourite scenes remain some of the quieter, more character-focused moments, like the dinner table conversation, Anakin's farewell to his mother and everything on Coruscant. The characters and performances are still all great, with the possible exception of Natalie Portman, who vastly improves with each subsequent film.

This time around, I also went looking for evidence to support the Darth Jar-Jar fan theory, and it's all there. I'd never noticed any of it before! It won't change my perception of the character (whom I adore... yeah, I said "adore" and yeah, I know what it means) but it was fun to look for, and I'm glad fans are finally digging into the details of these films just as much as the over-scrutinised originals.

Top marks. Happy to still call it my favourite, although Revenge of the Sith can sometimes claim that spot, depending on what kind of story I'm in the mood for.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

RogerRoger wrote:

This time around, I also went looking for evidence to support the Darth Jar-Jar fan theory, and it's all there.

Somewhere, deep in the recesses of my mind, I was hoping we'd get the "Snoke is Jar Jar" reveal in TLJ. I consciously knew it would NEVER happen, but I can't imagine a funnier plot development, and it'd be a great way to tie the trilogies together.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Well, the silver lining to Snoke's underdevelopment is that we can all reckon he's Jar-Jar Binks in our headcanon. I can't think of anything more fascinating(ly bonkers)!

If I ever had the good fortune of meeting George Lucas, beyond asking him about his original outline for the sequel trilogy, the one burning question I think I'd have would be "Did you seriously plan to reveal Jar-Jar Binks as a Sith Lord, before reaction to the character made you alter the direction of the narrative?" Because I can't think of any other reason for some of the very deliberate animations in The Phantom Menace (and it'd be a nice way of explaining why it's Jar-Jar who ends up enabling the Clone Wars anyway). It'd be an awesome insight into how modern cinema is shaped.

Making It So Since 1987

ApostateMage

I watched Solo recently and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be and quite enjoyed it in some parts. Overall I thought it was a pretty average movie but still better that The Last Jedi.

ApostateMage

Ralizah

Watched Upgrade this weekend and absolutely loved it. It's a violent, funny, and twisty cyberpunk revenge story that reminds me very favorably of some of Paul Verhoeven's best films (particular Robocop). The film both grounds us, quite painfully, in the rubble of the main character's life even as it finds humor in unexpected places. While I won't call the film's story fantastic, I do think it manages to cultivate an interesting little mystery over the course of its running time.

TheTetrisGuy

Just out of curiosity, I saw Despicable Me 3... that sure is a movie all right. Stuff just kinda happens, the writing wasn’t funny, and the new characters just didn’t do it for me. I thought the first one was fine enough, but 2 and 3 aren’t good in my opinion.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

Ralizah

@TheTetrisGuy Judging from the number of posts you've made about it, it seems like it has left quite an impression.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic