Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 761 to 780 of 8,903

Th3solution

@Ralizah @RogerRoger @Feena Pretty much all in agreement here about A Quiet Place. It is one of those films that is fun to talk about and I’ve been recommending to all my friends and coworkers, despite its flaws.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution @Ralizah @Feena I had a conversation with one of our group upon leaving the cinema about why the governments of each nation didn't just turn on every single television and radio in a city, wait for all the aliens to descend upon it, and then nuke it.

Even that would've been preferrable to the implied extinction-level event presented in the film. The reply was "Maybe they didn't have time?" to which I pointed out that everybody seemed to have time to print and distribute newspapers tracking the invasion and discovering the aliens' use of sound to kill, and that I'd love to see the silent printing press they'd used for the necessary days / weeks to achieve such a task (I'm always the fun one at parties, in case you were wondering).

It's definitely fun to discuss and pick apart a little, but none of that really matters when it made an entire audience terrified and had great music. Addressing the points we've raised would've steered it more towards a CGI-overloaded action blockbuster than the intimite thriller-horror it ultimately was; it's up to our imaginations to fill in the gaps.

Since watching it last week, I've been thinking a lot about how much sound we make on average. I've got man-flu this week; with this cough, I'd be screwed.

@Gremio108 No need to apologise; we're in complete agreement about the editing (and the milk bit). I've been thinking of trying to watch it again, because I've spoken to a friend who loved it and read a lot more of the comments in this topic now, and think my opinion could be tweaked by a second viewing, but every time I go to try, I think of something else I'd rather be doing... never a good sign.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Lol. Good points. Yeah, I was thinking all the nighttime snorers were weeded our first. Darwinian natural selection accelerated.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution And that space shuttle toy at the beginning looked so cool. I don't know if I'd be able to restrain myself now, let alone when I was a kid.

So, who's this Darwin guy you're talking about?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Nei

Did anyone else watch Ghost Stories yet?
I really enjoyed the movie even though some of the elements didn't fall into place as well as I hoped -<nd writing that just now I realised it's really hard to talk about the movie without spoiling.
Anyway, it's a little more than just an anthology of horror tales and I do recommend it to cinephiles and horror buffs. It's not anything shockingly new but it is extremely well done and it has a nice, unique pace and some quirky storytelling choices. I am very curious to read your comments about this one.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

JohnnyShoulder

Saw A Quite Place earlier. Thought is was very effective and tense film. I don't get spooked easily but this had my skin crawling. Like others have said it really is worth seeing it in the cinema, such a unique experience with not a sound being made by everyone.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

TheTetrisGuy

A bunch of my friends want to see Infinity War, and they invited me to see it with them. However, I haven’t seen ANY Marvel movies. So I’ve been catching up. I watched Doctor Strange last night, and while I liked it, that ending was SUPER anti-climatic, it honestly shocked me.

Edited on by TheTetrisGuy

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

Th3solution

@TheTetrisGuy Congratulations on making it this far without seeing any Marvel movies. 😂 Starting from scratch now is probably overwhelming. What are there, like 20 of these now? I’ve seen them all, although stretched out over like 8 years though.
(Actually, I take that back — haven’t seen Black Panther yet)

TheTetrisGuy

@Th3solution Yeah it’s a little overwhelming to be sure. I at least need to see Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War, and if I have time Captian America the first avenger, all before the weekend, and even then I’ll still be a bit behind. However, I’m glad to be seeing all these, if only because I got to see Guardians of the Galaxy. Very few movies have made me both cry and laugh like that movie did.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

Tasuki

I just couldn't keep up with the Marvel movies, don't get me wrong I like them but finding the time to watch them all is almost impossible with work, family etc. To date I have seen

Iron Man 1, 2, 3
Incredible Hulk
Thor 1 and 2
Avengers 1 and 2
Captain America 1 and 2

After that I couldn't keep up and couldn't figure out the order to watch them in, not to mention I have heard that Agents of Shield tv series ties into the Marvel Movies too and I don't have time for a seasonal tv series.

In fact because I have not been keeping up with them and the amount of time it would take for me to catch up has put me off on seeing them.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Jaz007

@Tasuki Agents of shield isn't needed from what I've seen. I've seen all of them except 1 or 2 and don't feel like I'm missing anything or any references. I'm not even sure if it's cannon to be honest. I think it's meant to be a bit of fun more than anything.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

RR529

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - While the jungle wasn't as creative as implied in the original (no giant spiders, man eating plants, typhoons, etc.), overall it was a good movie. It was pretty funny, and I liked the nods to the original.

Thor: Ragnorok - This was a really fun time. Not much to say about it that hasn't already been said, but it's a good way to spend a Saturday night with family and/or friends.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

BAMozzy

@Tasuki Agents of SHIELD doesn't tie into the MCU as such but some of the earlier shows did reference things that were going on in the movies and in part were affected to. When SHIELD fell (the Winter Soldier) that had an affect on the Agents of SHIELD too. Most of the time though, its some subtle reference or a line about 'something' that occurred in the MCU - for example referencing the mess left after the 'invasion' in the first Avengers. It does have its own story and is more 'aware' of the MCU timeline than actually being essential viewing - its set in the same universe, set in the same timeline and to a degree was governed by the events in the movies but the storylines it has are still separate and don't have an impact on events in the movies. The last 2 series (inc the latest) seem to have distanced themselves more from the movies. The latest series though is in a different time-zone entirely. Its not like the DCU and series like Flash, Arrow etc where the two are totally separate but it doesn't ignore the movies completely and its not like you have to watch the series either to fill in gaps.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Tasuki

@BAMozzy Ok so it runs parallel to the movies. That's good to know. I tried to get into the series but just couldn't, I actually preferred Agent Carter more then AoS.

My Backlog

BAMozzy

@Tasuki Parallel is a good way to describe it - although, like I said, in the recent couple of series, its moved further away. The latest is set in the 'future' so not even in the same time zone now. It moved further away with the last series when Ghost Rider joined - that was a series in 3 parts but also moved further away from the MCU. If you have time and looking for something to watch, start with either the last series (with Ghost Rider) or this. The latest is (so far) the best in a long while but it does start with the end of the last.

I totally agree that Agent Carter was the better series too.

I never go to the cinema so I wait until they come to Sky. I haven;t yet seen Thor Ragnarok, the Black Panther or any other that has yet to be shown on TV. The last Marvel film I saw was Spider-Man.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Tasuki

@BAMozzy Yeah, I wasn't thrilled when they cancelled Agent Carter but that's the fate of shows I like it seems.

You did pique my interest when you did say Ghost Rider is part of AoS so I might have to look that up. Maybe I will also look up an order to watch the Marvel movies as well.

My Backlog

BAMozzy

@Tasuki It happens to me too - seems that anything that's not a NCIS/crime drama doesn't last long in dramas.

Anyway, here is a list of the MCU movies in order https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

WanderingBullet

Most likely going to watch Infinity War tomorrow. It's the only thing I was looking forward to this month.haha

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic