Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 541 to 560 of 8,865

Ralizah

@Feena The Shape of Water is certainly a competently produced film, but I fail to see why it has received such critical acclaim. Take out the superior aesthetic design and you have something eerily similar to tripe like Monster Trucks. Not that a movie can't succeed on aesthetics alone (one of my all-time favorite films, Kill Bill: Vol. 1, is arguably nothing but pure style and craftsmanship), but Guillermo del Toro isn't giving us anything transcendentally awesome in form here.

I am seriously toying with the notion of calling Princess Mononoke my favorite Ghibli film. It doesn't have the raw power and craftsmanship of Grave of the Fireflies, but it also doesn't ruin my week when I watch it like the fore-mentioned film (seriously: watching GotF is an exercise in pure masochism unless you have a heart made of tempered steel).

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Nei

@Ralizah kill bill vol.1 is one of my all time favourites!

Regarding Ghibli, I like most of their production but I tend to prefer the movies that aren't directed by Miyazaki - Mononoke is certainly one of his bests, though. I'd pick something like Whisper of the Heart or Only Yesterday as my Ghibli favourite.

Never belligerent but always uncompromising.

themcnoisy

Watched Home Alone 3 with the family last night.

Its actually pretty funny.

Also I miss the time we didnt have mobile phones, life was better somehow.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Rudy_Manchego

I watched Bladerunner 2049 this week and thought it was truly amazing.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Rudy_Manchego My favorite film of 2017. The fact that it flopped in the box office disappoints me to no end.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah The original was never a hit at the box office iirc. So maybe this one will become gain a but of a cult following too.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder Yeah, this film was just great. I am not surprised that it didn't succeed at the box office, long film, slow and deliberate pacing and characterisation, no major action scenes and it makes you think. Sad but true. I agree this is going to become a minor classic in time.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RR529

Godzilla "2014" (Amazon Video) - I've been in a big Godzilla mood recently, as you'll see reading down this list, so I bought this. I really like how they did this one. Godzilla is actually Godzilla in this one and not some overgrown Iguana, the human characters are effective enough to be worth following, but not powerful enough to resolve things without the big guy, and it's overall a very good blockbuster type film.

Godzilla: Monster Planet (Netflix Original) - The first entry in an anime film trilogy funded by the streaming giant. While it has a fresh take on the franchise (Godzilla has destroyed civilization, and thousands of years later humanity is now back from deep space in an attempt to reclaim the planet), it's just blah. It's visually dull, and despite all the time you spend with them, it never makes you care about the human characters. A few interesting things occured at the film's end however, so I'll probably give the second a chance when it releases.

Mudbound (Netflix Original) - Film chronicalling the intertwined hardships of two families (one white, the other black) in rural 40's Mississippi. It's a well made film, but unbearably depressing & constantly tense. I felt miserable by the end (though it looked like there may have been a positive ending, though I'm not sure).

Shin Godzilla (Amazon Video) - A reboot for the franchise that sees the titular Kaiju returned to metaphor for real life tragedy. This time he represents the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake, and the consequences of the Japanese government's mishandling of the event. There can be a lot going on at times, but I think It's one I'd like to rewatch occasionally to really get it.

Summer Wars (Amazon Video) - I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I'm becoming an old fuddy duddy when it comes to anime. While they can be entertaining, newer efforts like One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, and the like just don't seem to grab me like the series' of my adolescence. However, this movie sure is something special. When I first watched it a few years ago it grabbed me like those franchises of old, and no matter how many times I watch it, it always has that magic to it. Fantastic.

Violent Cop (Amazon Video) - The oldest, and most disappointing Takeshi Kitano film I've watched. It's different from his other films I've seen in that he's an edgy cop rather than a member of the Yakuza, and while it's interesting enough at first, I feel like it drags on (it isn't that long of a film either), and there's no real personal conflict/chemistry between the antagonists & himself, except for maybe the final 20 minutes (and even then I'm not sure if their slight against him was entirely intentional, but rather an unlucky coincidence).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

Colossal - Bit of an odd one this. Part Kaiju movie and part amiercan indie romance com. What is even weirder is that is not the part of the film that doesn't make sense, but the sudden tonal shifts from some of the characters. And the standard roman com stuff is a bit by the numbers. All the actors are good Anne Hathaway, Jason Sudeikis, Dan Stevens, with only Hathaway being not being that believeable as a drunk the only blot.
Defo worth a watch if you fancy something different. I don't think there will be anything quite like it for awhile.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

It Comes At Night. Not the horror flick that the marketing and the misleading title wants you think it is. More a psychological thriller about the impact of the unexplained event, the paranoia and solitude that goes with.
Expertly crafted with some neat editing tricks with aspect ratio, and some scenes oozing tension. The cast are excellent too with Joel Edgerton in particular giving a stand out performance.
Unfortunately the story telling is very ambiguous which I don't mind, but it answers hardly anything which leaves an unsatisfying ending.

RogerRoger

@RR529 Summer Wars is beautiful. I wouldn't exactly call myself an anime fan, but I have the Blu-Ray of that film, simply because it's near-perfect on almost every level.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RR529 I love Summer Wars! Really, really good fun. Have you seen Wolf Children or The Boy and the Beast?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

themcnoisy

Watched men in black and men in black 2 over the last few days. Lets bust some wigs!

Good films to watch with the family and the chemistry of Tommy Lees stonewall approach and Will Smiths all action acting works really well.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RR529

@RogerRoger, @mookysam, Yeah, Summer Wars is pretty great.

I have seen Wolf Children, and while I liked it, I didn't like it as much as Summer Wars. Haven't seen the Boy and the Beast yet, but I have seen the Girl Who Leapt Through Time which was another good one from that studio.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

Currently watching Enter The Dragon with Bruce Lee. Probably a bit cheesy by today's standards and some of the fight scenes may look a bit lame compared to something like The Raid, but I still love it. By jeez the english dub is laughably bad in places.

PS_Nation

So, i watched Black Panther yesterday and I really liked it, another great movie made by Marvel.
I didn't know Black Panther before Civil War, now he is one of my favorites Marvel heroes.

PS_Nation

RogerRoger

For reasons various, I wasn't able to get to the cinema late last year, so I've just pre-ordered two films on Blu-Ray, namely Justice League and Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.

After my reaction to The Force Awakens, I'm dreading the latter.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger If you liked The Force Awakens you will most likely hate The Last Jedi lol

Jaz007

I watched Thor: Ragnarok last night. Easily the worst marvel film they’ve made. I was very disappointed. It doesn’t know what it wants to be. The tone is weird, overly comedic and doesn’t fit. Thor is constantly out of character to be funny and try to make us laugh, but I find it hard to really laugh at bad character writing. The cinematography wasn’t very good. It moved from drama to mellowdrama a lot. It tried to be cool or what not too often and fell flat along with the soundtrack. It almost completely forgot it was in a Thor movie a lot of the time. Completely at times as well. It was too focused on the onset Thor was on instead of instead of Thor, and the 80’s rock had no place in it. It was starting to get better at the end, but then completely destroyed itself again by playing it. It wasn’t much of a Thor movie in many ways. The ending with Ragnarok happening and Asgard getting destroyed also fell really flat because the movie tired to be too comedic and whatnot in tone. It was hard to care that much, and that’s something you should feel and care about.

Jaz007

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic