Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,541 to 4,560 of 8,903

Th3solution

@zupertramp Interesting. Historical Latin America and Russia are two settings that probably deserve more attention in video games. I think there’s some untapped potential there.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution I literally cannot name a video game set in South America that doesn’t involve a regime of some kind.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett I couldn’t think of one either. I mean, we have part of Red Dead Redemption does go into Mexico. And I think the Just Cause games take place in some fictional South American or Latin American inspired locale. Other than that, I couldn’t come up with any. I think there’s a game called Call of Juarez, which is probably in Mexico.

Edit: How could I forget Shadow of the Tomb Raider. And Uncharted for that matter.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger wrote:

@Th3solution Yeah, as @zupertramp alludes to, it sounds like Midway needs better marketing. There's an unskippable trailer for it preceding a lot of programmes on my Amazon Prime stick at the moment (it's one of their recent additions) and I dismissed it for looking like a cheesy, cookie-cutter piece of Hollywood schlock. On the flipside, your write-up has me sold. I'll add it to my watchlist later. Thank you!

@RogerRoger That sums up the movie pretty well for me actually. I thought it was terrible, poor script, ott acting and dodgy special effects in places. I found it unintentionally hilarious in places, so at least got some joy out of it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Understandable. Like I say, there’s absolutely bias built into it for me, so that’s fair.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder @Th3solution Well, your perspectives couldn't be more opposite if they tried, and I find that absolutely fascinating. Be prepared for me to return with a polite-yet-predictable "I can see both sides" write-up in the coming weeks (ever the diplomat)!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution @RogerRoger it would be really boring if everyone liked everything. There are plenty of films which I gloss over the faults whatever they are. The Fast and Furious films are dumb but I find them so dang entertaining.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

TheFrenchiestFry

@JohnnyShoulder Them being dumb and not taking themselves seriously whatsoever is why I love watching them. If they actually took themselves seriously they'd be way worse off as films.

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

JohnnyShoulder

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah absolutely. I see Michelle Rodriguez let it slip that the next one will see them go into space. With is probably the only way the series can go next really.

BearsEatBeets

@JohnnyShoulder Are they going to take a muscle car up in rocket and do donuts on the international space station? I've only seen the first 2 so not sure how absurd they have gone. To be fair Elon has left a Tesla sports car floating around up there so maybe they can find a way to fit that in.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

JohnnyShoulder

@BearsEatBeets Yeah its not really about racing fast cars any more, more like a series of outlandish action set pieces. Cars are still involved in some way though. The one involving chaining a set of cars to helicopter in Hobbs and Shaw was insane.

@TheFrenchiestFry I'm surprised they haven't found way to get Godzilla into the series.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Haha, yeah — I’ve already lost enough brain cells to the first two Fast & Furious movies. I can’t stand to try to watch anymore of them. I need every precious IQ point that I’ve got left. 😜

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution As mentioned previously, the later movies do change things up quite considerably. It is worth at least giving them a watch, you never know you might end up liking them.

nessisonett

@Th3solution @JohnnyShoulder Yep, you haven’t lived until you’ve seen someone drive a car between building windows or The Rock flexing so hard he breaks his arm cast. True art.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

TheFrenchiestFry

The only other movie I've seen from Timothee Chalamet is Call Me by Your Name but I already know he's going to kill it as Paul Atriedes. He delivered the litany to Fear perfectly.

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

zupertramp

@LieutenantFatman Although I know nothing about Dune, there's so much hype around it I can't help but be curious. But I already hated going to the theater, because I'm cheap and mostly dislike people generally, so throwing a novel corona virus into that mix definitely doesn't incentivize a trip to the big screen for me. I don't mind waiting. I prefer watching movies at home.

@nessisonett @Th3solution Thinking about it for a bit I don't know that I care if any historical period is covered in a game or not. There's been no game that I can think of that I've been particularly drawn to because it covered some certain era. Movies are a little different. Like I wouldn't mind a movie about the Soviet Night Witches during WWII. I think that would be awesome if done right but it probably wouldn't be done right (I'd want like actual Russians playing the parts or at least actors with Russian lineage but they'd probably cast Anne Hathaway, Margot Robbie and Jennifer Lawrence or something and also I wouldn't want it to turn into a ham-fisted girl power after school special) so that's why for the most part I just stick to books for my history.

As for the Fast and Furious movies, I always kinda thought they did take themselves seriously. Do any of those movies not include some dramatic monologue about the importance of family? I honestly always got the distinct impression that Vin Diesel is making these fully convinced that they're high-art but with cars. But meh, idk. Maybe that's me reading into it. I think the first one is good because it's basically Point Break, and who doesn't like that movie, and I'll watch Tokyo Drift for the drifting, but other than that they aren't for me. Also I can't stand Jason Statham and he seems to have embedded himself into the fabric of the franchise so there's that.

Edited on by zupertramp

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

LieutenantFatman

@zupertramp
Well, at least by waiting, you'll have plenty of time to see the reviews and decide if it's worth watching. Always a bonus.

LieutenantFatman

JohnnyShoulder

@zupertramp Yep I'm the same with the cinema. Covid has made me want to stay away even more.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic