Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,201 to 4,220 of 8,903

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett The first (or is that second?) is way better than I thought it would be. And why are films that are not based on a real video game but like a video game, usually much better than films based on a video game? I've got the TNL to watch, had it for a couple of weeks but totally forgot about it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, you’re spot on, although I do have a soft spot for Street Fighter, the pretty terrible but fun Prince of Persia and the original Tomb Raider. I actually like the first Silent Hill as well, they nail the atmosphere even if the plot is all over the place. That being said, I’ve seen Warcraft and a few Uwe Boll movies, the majority of video game movies are utterly atrocious. Warcraft’s especially bad considering Duncan Jones is a great director and I feel bad for Toby Kebbell, the man with the worst track record when it comes to ‘big budget movies that completely tank and are terrible’.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Ha ha yeah think we've spoken before about Toby Kebbel. Hopefully he will get a good run going. He has certainly got talent and would be a shame to see it go to waste.

I enjoyed PoP, TR and SH too, Street Fighter not so much but I've not seen it in ages and was just sad that it was Raul Julia's last film.

Saw American Woman last night starring Sienna Miller and directed by Jake Scott, Ridley Scott's son. She was brilliant in it, definitely the best performance I've seen of her, and the rest of the cast were fine. Didn't think much of the film however as just came across as basic family drama which I've seen a bazillion times before. A good character study piece though.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder If Toby Kebbell makes one more flop, I’m turning this account into a Toby Kebbell fan account. At least that way he’d have one fan that wasn’t his mum.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Didn't relaise he was in that. Great film, must watch that again soon.

Gremio108

Just to add to the Toby Kebbell love-in, I thought he was great in Black Mirror. I think that was the last time I watched that show actually. Lost track after it went to Netflix.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

nessisonett

@Gremio108 That’s my favourite Black Mirror. I did also stop watching it after a couple of Netflix ones, it somewhat ironically seems to have taken the big American money and lost sight of what it was. I really haven’t enjoyed any of the ones I watched except for the Star Trek sorta spoof thing with Jesse Plemons.

RogerRoger

Just watched Knives Out since it popped up on my Prime.

It's no Clue, but I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it. Very watchable, thanks in large part to its remarkable cast. It suffers from being predictably unpredictable in a few places (spend five seconds thinking outside the box and you'll have the ending figured out long before its revelatory crescendo) and there's no "sub" about its subtext, with its messages about race and entitlement practically being screamed at you both verbally and visually, but I weirdly liked it for these surface-level shortcomings. They didn't feel arrogant or preachy, rather charming and thoughtful, which made the "Written and Directed by Rian Johnson" concluding credit its biggest, most shocking twist.

There's talk of a sequel, lifting out Daniel Craig's detective and giving him a new mystery to solve, and I for one am excited about the prospect of an ongoing series of these. Anybody with access to Prime should check it out; even if you have a worse time with it than I did, at least it'll have been free(ish).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

TheFrenchiestFry

@nessisonett Toby Kebbell is a great actor with terrible acting credits lol

Sorcerer's Apprentice was one thing but then Fant4stic happened. Thank god Disney got the rights back is all I'll say on that film lol

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

TheFrenchiestFry

Look all I want is for Paul Dano to be seen wearing a green dress suit with a bowl cap with a question mark on it

I already know Robert Pattinson is gonna kill it as Batman and people are likely gonna forget about Batfleck a few months after the film's release.

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@LN78 Honestly, I feel like those kinds of rumors are completely overblown and just done to get clicks out of people who defend Snyder's work with their dying breaths. Affleck has gone on record stating his fatigue with playing comic book characters on multiple occasions after two flukes as both Daredevil and Batman. He never particularly struck me as the big-budget blockbuster type and films like Argo, Gone Girl and The Way Back were where he absolutely excelled as an actor. Plus after his alcoholism problems came to light it's best he just stays away from those kinds of notable roles for the sake of his wellbeing. He had his run, and it wasn't what the studio wanted, so I'm just going to give Battinson a chance. I also loved the last two Apes films so I do have faith in Reeves. He's already impressed me by talking about how he's going to completely lean in on the detective aspect of the character again, which no major adaptation outside the Animated Series really attempted outside brief glimpses in The Dark Knight Trilogy and like one scene in BvS.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@LN78 Anything from Gotham saved BvS from just being a complete dumpster fire. I don't agree with a lot of the creative choices made with his character, but the performances from both Affleck and Jeremy Irons as Alfred were really well done in addition to Gadot as Diana Prince. The Ultimate Edition did nothing for me either except extend that really cool scene with Batman talking to Lex in the jail cell.

TheFrenchiestFry

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 There is not much that I'm looking forward to if I'm brutally honest. Probably more to classic getting the 4k treatment then new films. I liked the first Apes movie but wasn't too fussed on the sequels, apart from Toby Kebbel of course lol.

I remember seeing the headline about Keaton but did not know what Flashpoint was, so just assumed it was some TV series I dont watch and ignored it.

TheFrenchiestFry

@JohnnyShoulder Flashpoint is easily my favorite of the "Crisis" events. It's a really sick time travelling story with a lot of emotional weight that really hones in on Barry Allen's insecurities about his mother's death. I don't expect the film to be nearly as good but Keaton returning to the role and giving that proper resolution after he was booted off of Shumacher's films is nice to see

TheFrenchiestFry

JohnnyShoulder

@TheFrenchiestFry Is that the whole crossover event with all the DC TV shows? The only one I watch is Titans and I don't think is connected to any of those.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Yeah Tenet maybe, I wasn't keen on Interstellar and skipped Dunkirk (don't really like World War I and II movies). Like most of the Craig Bond's apart from Spectre. Not seen a film in the cinema since Infinity War and begrudge paying 20 quid (either at the cinema or home viewing) when i could rent it in a few months for a fraction of the cost. But I have no issue of dropping 15 quid on a 4K blu ray that i know I will like.

nessisonett

Holy f*ck, even unrelated topics end up circling back to Toby Kebbell. And people say Kevin Bacon’s everywhere!

nessisonett

@LN78 I went to the cinema to see Interstellar and it works well as a popcorn movie but falls apart on closer inspection. Plus it’s bloody long and the last half hour the sole thought on my mind was “I need to pee”. I’m really not a Nolan fan though, Begins is my favourite one of his Batman movies but I personally enjoy the trashy Forever to the Nolan ones even though it’s terrible. Plus I kinda like the neon-soaked Gotham, it’s like the Dick Tracy movie but not as bad, if not by much.

nessisonett

@LN78 Keaton’s a great Batman, the right amount of brooding and quietly menacing without sounding ridiculous like Bale’s horrible Bat-voice. It’ll be interesting to see where they go with Flashpoint, I wonder if we’ll see a Dark Knight Returns inspired Gotham with Keaton, or possibly even Batman Beyond, with Flash being mentored by an ageing Bruce Wayne. When I binged the DC movies earlier in the year, I actually enjoyed BvS a lot more once I decided to just take it at face value. There’s lots that just does not work, same as most DCEU movies but it’s not quite Justice League levels. This period will be the real test for DC, Marvel will be in an odd place for the next year or two and they should really be capitalising. If The Batman does well, Flashpoint could be the perfect way to incorporate it into the main DCEU.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic