Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 4,181 to 4,200 of 8,866

RogerRoger

@nessisonett @JohnnyShoulder Yeah, whilst I'm not exactly a horror fan, I think the film needed something, some kind of a unique edge to elevate it above what it ultimately became.

Venom can be a genuinely scary character (in a cool way) so I reckon a darker take could've worked.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

suarezalario

Shawshank Redemption is the best movie I have ever seen.

I love technology and iphone related problems. I like to unlock ipads and iphones.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Wow, that looks really nice. Hoping I can get my hands on the Kubrick one as well, these collections seem like the best way to get these sorts of movies in 4K.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Yeah and plus I don't see any massive improvements on the horizon as 8K could be a few years until it finds its way into the home for use mere mortals!

Predator, Alien and Stand By Me are my fave classic films that look great in 4k.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I don’t have a 4K player and streaming can barely call itself 4K so I’ve only managed to watch a few movies in true 4K. Knives Out looked incredible and the film grain actually added a lot even though I know some people don’t like it. The best looking classic ones I’ve seen are probably 2001, Lawrence of Arabia (unfortunately no HDR yet) and Blade Runner. It’s a shame I’m stuck to buying downloads for now but once I can start getting discs I’m gonna try to get hold of the Columbia Classics set, even though I assume it’ll end up a fortune.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Yeah Knives Out looked great, don't recall any film grain though when i saw it. The quality when streaming can be questionable especially during lockdown when some services have reduced the quality of some of their stuff.

I was a bit of a naysayer towards 4K as whenever I watched any content I wasn't that impressed. Not sure if its anything to do with HDR being introduced, but the last 18 months or so I started noticed real uptick in visual quality..

I just checked and that Columbia Classics set is a penny below 120 of our UK pounds!

https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/columbia_classics_collection_uhd

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

nessisonett

I watched that Charlize Theron movie on Netflix. It’s extremely generic and clearly meant to facilitate a sequel but I wouldn’t say it’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen. The music did my head in though, it doesn’t fit the movie at all and it’s really distracting. Dudley Dursley’s in it too and he looks proper creepy grown up.

cheetahman91

When Worlds Collide (1951). A sci-fi disaster film, like a precursor to those disaster movies that were prolific in the late '90's and early '00's. Too be honest I'm surprised this never got remade, although I imagine it would have turned out closer to some like The Day the Earth Stood Still than The Thing as for as '50's remakes go.

As for as the movie I saw goes, yeah I enjoyed it. The special effects were solid for the time, the pacing was good and the writing was alright (to be honest, most '50's sci-fi didn't have the greatest of writing). I also appreciated the fact that it was in color. I guess if I were to rank it amongst the best sci-fi movies of 1951, it's better than The Thing From Another World but way behind The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

RogerRoger

My friend who chastised me for never having seen Predator did so again the other day, when I made a similar admission about The Running Man. Lucky for me, it's on Prime.

Despite recoiling at that kill, I had a blast. Richard Dawson was an excellent piece of stunt casting, and I once again found the source of many an Arnie one-liner meme. The satire was light-touch, which I thought was the right approach, and its concepts have likely improved with age. Solid 80s action fare.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

cheetahman91

@RogerRoger Yeah I thought that film was pretty solid too. Enjoyable in a cheesy '80's sort of way. Plus it inspired Smash TV, so it gets bonus point for that.

Jesus is the only way.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

RogerRoger

@cheetahman91 That's the game! Thank you; I was thinking of it whilst watching the movie, but couldn't remember its name. I've always wanted to play it.

Making It So Since 1987

cheetahman91

Yojimbo (1961). Been wanting to see this movie for a while, and Ghost of Tsushima gave me a good excuse to (funny thing is that I have little interest in the game). I enjoyed this one. I've heard this film influenced a lot of Western, and I can see why. I thought the cinematography was the best part of the film. It really does make it feel like a Western at times, only in Japan. I also enjoyed the music and it's interesting combination of traditional Japanese music and big band Western. I can also see why the makers of A Fistful of Dollars were sued, it's practically a ripoff of this. With that being said I prefer A Fistful of Dollars, but that's because I prefer Westerns over Samurai films. I felt the same way about The Magnificent Seven and Seven Samurai, although it doesn't really help that I thought Seven Samurai was too long.

@RogerRoger Glad I could help.

Jesus is the only way.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

nessisonett

I watched The Painted Bird. It’s one of the most harrowing movies I’ve ever seen but was absolutely incredible. Apparently there were walkouts due to the violence and subject matter but they were from esteemed publications like the Daily Mail so I’ll leave it at that. Just relentless misery, violence and overall horribleness for almost 3 hours, which doesn’t sound like a good movie but it’s quietly captivating. Definitely a must watch and it’s a shame it missed out on the Golden Lion to Joker, a movie that goes for the same thing but ultimately has to draw crowds due to its subject matter.

JohnnyShoulder

So Tenet has been delayed indefinitely for release in the cinema, The Quiet Place 2 and Top Gun 2 have been put back until 2021.

But to fill that void there are more film getting the 4K blu ray treatment.

Richard Donner’s The Goonies (1985), Tim Burton’s Beetlejuice (1988), and Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes (2009) and Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows (2011), will all be released in the 4K format on August 28th.

Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD, Steelbook and digital download 10th August.

District 9 arrives on October 13, 2020.

Cinema Paradiso (1988), and Requiem for a Dream (2000)

Midsommar Director’s Cut was released last week with a fancy new edition!

It’s looking like John Carpenter’s The Thing (1982) may be coming to 4K Ultra HD later in 2020 based upon European retail leaks. That has made my year, love that film!

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Thanks for the Flash Gordon reminder, that may have to be a pay day treat!

I also saw that the original Total Recall was getting a 4K release, but can't seem to find the article.

Midsommar already looked great on a normal blu ray, so can only imagine what it looks like in 4K. Saw the Director’s cut too and it didn't feel like a 3 hour film. It be interesting to know what you think as it is definitely a divisive one. Florence Pugh was phenomenal in it though.

And speaking of The Thing, I saw the 2011 film almost out if curiosity more than anything. Didn't realise it was prequel rather than a remake, which is why I have avoided it all this years. Interesting to find out that they originally planned to have mostly physical effects like in the original film and just touch it up with cgi in post production. Unfortunately the studio didn't like what they saw at a test screening so made them place cgi over all the creatures, and it looks really bad, easily the worst I've seen in a long time. The studio also made them change the ending which made absolutely no sense. I would love to see the orignal version with the physical effects and the ending which explained the thing creatures in more detail. It also ties a lot into the original movie with some nods of what the ending implies.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Cheers will check the stuff on YouTube as well as the deleted scenes on the blu ray. I usually skip the special features this days as it feels like I seen all they have to offer, but after reading about what went on it has piqued my interest. Funny you should mention Ripley, as the writers were influenced by her when writing Winstead's character in The Thing.

Black_Swordsman

Has anyone seen Wild Things with Kevin Bacon and Bill Murray? How would you rate the movie? How much of a role does Bill Murray's character play in the movie? (i.e, how much screen time does Bill Murray's character get?)

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Thanks for heads up! Defo ones to add to the collection.

nessisonett

I watched both Demolition Man for the umpteenth time and Jumanji: The Next Level. Demolition Man is a classic, cheesy 90s action with a legitimately good and satirical script. Still don’t know what the three seashells are for. Jumanji was just like the last one, way better than I expected and plain fun. Awkwafina’s Danny DeVito impression was eerily good as well.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic