Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 401 to 420 of 487

Rudy_Manchego

I saw Wonder Woman yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Best DC film yet, well acted and filmed. One of the better superhero origin films out there.

Edited on by Rudy_Manchego

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

RR529
  • Tag (Netflix) - Odd Japanese B-movie about a schoolgirl who finds herself slipping between alternate universes where everyone around her seems to die in bizarrely (and hilariously cheesy) gruesome ways. By the end, I'm almost sure it's some sort of statement about how women are represented in media, particularly video games, but perhaps I'm overthinking it.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

themcnoisy

Rogue one

Verging on nonsense the scale of phantom menace, with an uncanny valley cgi commander.

Its obviously a well shot film but the dad / daughter rubbish was too contrived to be enjoyable. It made sense for the Anakin / Luke / Leia storyline to have the family aspect but rogue one gets it all wrong. The final battle was awesome, but pretty much everything leading up was a total fail.

Forum Multiplat BGoAT coming February 2018
Forums Nintendo BGoAT 2017 - Super Mario Bros 3, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy.
Forums Playstation BGoAT 2016 - Uncharted 2, The Last Of Us, Witcher 3.
Forums Multiplat BGoAT 2015 - Final Fantasy 7, Zelda Ocari...

PSN: mc_noisy

crippyd

@themcnoisy I'd agree with you on that. The saving grace for me was Vader being totally badass, that bit was mega.

crippyd

Rudy_Manchego

@themcnoisy @crippyd Whoa - do not blaspheme and compare this film with Phantom Menace.

I rewatched Rogue One last night for the second time after seeing it in the cinema.

My review is average film with amazing ending IF you are a hugely nostalgic Star Wars fan (like me). The end battle made complete sense as a prologue to Episode 4, the fan service was immense (Seeing Red squadron, Darth Vader ending etc.). That said, if you aren't as bothered by fan service and just want a film with a good start/middle/end then this film isn't really worth your time.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

themcnoisy

@crippyd @Rudy_Manchego I love 😍 starwars, the very end sequence was brilliant with Vader.

At the very start the movie took you to 5 locations within the first 10 minutes. It was too quick. Then the Jeda section was great, them whisked away to another location, then another one, then another one, then the final battle which took up the last 40 minutes.

It seemed the film was a tour of the galaxy. I felt sorry for my wife who's never watched a full star wars film. She didn't know what the hell was going on.

Forum Multiplat BGoAT coming February 2018
Forums Nintendo BGoAT 2017 - Super Mario Bros 3, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy.
Forums Playstation BGoAT 2016 - Uncharted 2, The Last Of Us, Witcher 3.
Forums Multiplat BGoAT 2015 - Final Fantasy 7, Zelda Ocari...

PSN: mc_noisy

RR529

Sand Castle (Netflix Original) - Film set during the Iraq war in the early 00's, where a disillusioned soldier finds himself in hostile territory providing water to villages who's supply has been cut off due to the fighting. It was alright I suppose, but nothing special.

Halo: Legends (Netflix) - Anime film consisting of 8 shorts (each produced by a different studio) all set in the Halo universe. I actually really liked it, though I don't think it really picks up until after the 3rd short (the first two, titled "Origins I" & "Origins II" respectively, cover different aspects of the series lore you probably already know if you've played the games, and the 3rd, "The Duel", I felt was let down by it's experimental art style, which was quite muddy in places, although I liked it's unique narrative). I really liked the rest though, and think the series is a pretty good fit for anime, as far as western properties go.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

WanderingBullet

Really looking forward to Spider-man: Homecoming this week. Don't think there's been a bad superheroes movie in 2017, yet. Really enjoyed Logan and Wonder Woman was pretty good as well except for some pacing issues and the part where she went berserk and the special effects in the background made her looked like the Flash. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 while not as good as the first one but was still a fun watch.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Thanks for listening, Capcom.

Rudy_Manchego

Watched Train to Busan on Amazon the other night, a korean zombie (ish film). Basically World War Z on a train but was a really really great watch, enjoyed it and recommend it.

WanderingBullet

@Rudy_Manchego I thought Train to Busan was better than World War Z. The Age Of Shadows (Korean) and Okja (Korean/Hollywood) are also pretty good movies if you haven't watched them, yet.

Anyways, I watched Transformers: The Last Knight. Don't ask me why, but I just like watching the CGI of the robots transforming.lol All I can say is the Transformers movies have gone downhill ever since the first one. Dumb stories, characters (a lot of racial stereotypes), dialogues and situations that made no sense. Also, they've successfully managed to make Optimus Prime super lame, he doesn't do much except always getting saved by his friends (in pretty much every movie) or go missing only to make a dramatic entrance during a battle. Can't believe Steven Spielberg's still continuing to produce this franchise.

Rudy_Manchego

@WanderingBullet I thought it was far better than World War Z as a film, completely agree there. I have Okja on my to watch list on Netflix but not heard of The Age of Shadows. Will see if I can find it anywhere.

Regarding Transformers, they are one of my guilty pleasures in that the films are utterly terrible (other than the first which was good imo), the acting poor, sexist and racial stereotyping but I like the way Michael Bay films robots fighting each other. I think Steven Spielberg just takes a paycheck to have his name on it now.

nathanSF

So many smart-arsed scifi films like Insipid, Invective, insertion... Inception, that's it! I can't stand those films that try to be clever. Like the Quantum, time travel film behind a bleedin' bookcase for crissake!
I love those Sci-Fi Films that use the genre as a device to convey emotional themes that are universal:
Realive - beautiful human cryogenics based about mortality, love and loss and the values that are worth living and dying for.
Arrival. Profound movie about how language shapes the way we seen and make sense of the world.
Both remind me of The Green Hills of Earth.

IwriteNanopunk

PSN: TheSil | Twitter:

nathanSF

@Rudy_Manchego Wonder Woman was fun but the ladling of the importance of "Love" at the end was a bit of a squib. And I was put off by the dark tones of the fight scenes - These night time fight scenes are budget CGI 'get-outs' as used in Godzilla (1998) and Superman V Batman. It cheapened the whole experience.
Why do it when Marvel and Lucas' Star Wars clearly show you can have spectacular sci-fi fight scenes in broad daylight?

IwriteNanopunk

BAMozzy

@nathanSF Spectacular scenes in dark/night-time can be incredible too. Especially in HDR where the laser beans, explosions etc are far more impressive against a dark background. Its like watching a lightning storm during the day or at night and the night time storms have much more impact.

For me Godzilla was 'lame' because it was so slow, boring and even the fight scenes seemed to be lumbering through the motions. It would still have been 'dull' during the day time too. BvS was more of an issue because of the story itself and the convoluted plot that led up to the fight. Batman traditionally always fought at night and you can't argue that the Dark Knight trilogy or the Tim Burton Batman films cheapened the experience because of the 'dark' night time scenes. BvS though does look more impressive in 4k HDR and the 'fight' scene in particular is incredible but the build up, the motivation etc is sadly lacking and you still have that 'Jesse' Luthor!!!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Rudy_Manchego

@nathanSF DC do need to get their endings battles right. They have all been a bit generic imo. Wonder woman was better then MOS, BVS and Suicide Squad but all had CG villain syndrome at the end.

After Marvel upped their game in Civil War with the airport scene, being able to see everything in daylight did make it feel more unique.

nathanSF

@BAMozzy Fair point about Batman being a night time guy. And yes, those movies did have their other faults too. It's just that with Wonder Woman I kind of expected it to be a bit brighter overall. Plus that film too had its faults, the Captain America plane death thing stuck out a bit, as did the movie's version of the 'Howling Commandos'. And her naivety was grating at times. I mean, she's read the 12 volumes of "Clio's treatises on bodily pleasure," (a non existent thing btw, Clio is a DC comics character). The implication here is that, during their immortal lives, the warrior women do a fair amount of reading; so one would expect her training as a warrior to involve strategy and tactics - where else would they learn from? Meaning she should know some basics about duplicity, betrayal, greed, power and the other things that us mere mortals get up to between breakfast and bed.

IwriteNanopunk

nathanSF

@Rudy_Manchego That was my point. I did enjoy the film overall. Maybe I still have in the deep recesses of my mind, warm memories of the TV series (yes, I am that old)

IwriteNanopunk

BAMozzy

@nathanSF Depends on the literature they have at their disposal. If the literature on the island doesn't have reference to those traits, then its understandable where her naivety comes from. She lived on an island that had little/no contact with mortals and we don't know whether there was much in the way of 'human' literature to read. Maybe the literature was more 'fact' based - like an encyclopedia of combat rather than looking at the reasons that may lead to combat or only literature written by those on the island - historical tomes of life on the island, the laws and regulations, the hierarchy etc etc.

If you were brought up in a secluded area with no access or knowledge of the outside world and the only books you could read were written by others within that 'small' community who had never shown these 'human' traits, I think you too would be very naive...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

WanderingBullet

@Rudy_Manchego That Civil Wars airport fight scene is gonna be very tough to beat but I have a feeling that maybe Avengers: Infinity War might have some pretty epic fight scenes.

Personally, I think they should get the guy if they haven't already who choreographed the fight scenes in Winter Soldier and Civil Wars again for Avengers: Infinity War.

nathanSF

@BAMozzy This is true. I guess we have to give these comic to movie franchises a lot of license otherwise we just wouldn't enjoy the movies as much as we do (well I do - mostly) But I can't help feeling that her naivety sort of diminished her awesomeness. She could have responded with more curiosity which would have her 'ignorance' (not knowing) to come from position of confidence and certainty - as you'd imagine a warrior would. I just think DC tore a chink in the character when they mentioned her reading the 12 volumes of the fictional 'Clio' . Come to think of it, one would expect any tome on lovemaking that ran to 12 volumes to include guidance on attunement to, and how to handle the arising and flow of different types and expressions of desire, surrender, passion and vulnerability. Such chapters would address the complex flow of emotions that arise in the process - the same emotions that drive the human condition and desires in all matters, including war. All of which would mean she would not be so surprised at the more base emotions and motives that drive mortal behaviour.

IwriteNanopunk

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic