Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,601 to 3,620 of 8,866

Th3solution

I watched JoJo Rabbit. It’s a movie that wasn’t on my radar and only through its publicity from the Oscars that my interest was piqued. I’ve always liked history and WWII era is one of the most fascinating to me. I also liked Waititi’s Thor Ragnarok, especially for its sharp and witty humor, so I just had to see what all the fuss was about with JoJo Rabbit.
I guess I’d say that I liked it. I’m not necessarily a fan of dark humor, and the treatment of Nazi Germany in such a comedic light is certainly off-putting initially, but amazingly I didn’t find it offensive. I could see how some would recoil at the light treatment of the themes, but taken as a whole, the film is not necessarily irreverent. In the early parts of the movie, after you get over the initial unconventional portrayal of Hitler and the Nazi’s, you get into a groove with the humor and just overall weirdness and feel like you know where it’s going, only to have it throw in some unexpected curve balls.
If you like Wes Anderson’s style (Personally, I’ve only seen The Grand Budapest Hotel. People tell me I really need to watch The Royal Tenembaums ) then you would like this because apparently JoJo Rabbit could be compared to his films.
I would have a hard time recommending it universally, but I would say it is worth a watch if you want a film with heavy themes mixed with non-stop humor. I figure that’s not a combination that most people are actually looking for.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution Yeah, given that Waititi’s Jewish, I reckon he feels that the best way to beat fascists is to just poke fun at them. I really liked Jojo Rabbit and felt that it’s probably a good way of dealing with those dark themes. I think there would have been less ‘backlash’ about the film being too light if more people actually knew he was Jewish.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Tjuz

@Th3solution Mostly agree with your opinion. It's a weird little movie that I can't really say anything about for certain. I do think it's a bit overrated, particularly the screenplay. The third act was quite a mess and too sharp of a turn from the rest of the movie in my eyes. It has a cute ending though, and is pretty much enjoyable throughout. Didn't wow me, but certainly isn't a bad time. If we're talking Waititi, my opinion that Wellington Paranormal is the best thing to come out of his work remains!

Tjuz

JohnnyShoulder

I really like this breakdown of what has been shown of The Batman, especially the little bat mobile history and what he says about the bat symbol in the bat suit. Do you think I said the word bat enough times in that sentence? 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet

@JohnnyShoulder I've watched a few of his videos before. Not sure how accurate he is but he always seems to be very confident about his assumptions or theories.
The guy also loves to title his videos "First Look Teaser" which for me can be quite misleading at times since I always think that his talking about official video teasers.lol

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Yeah that came up on my feed and I got a bit excited as I thought it was an official teaser trailer lol. Yeah it is only one one fans theory on it all, and he is not reporting it as a factual piece.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

FullbringIchigo

Thought's people?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 wouldn't they save Doom for fantastic 4 though?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo @LN78 I reckon he’ll be Gorr the God Butcher. It fits the intergalactic slant Waititi’s going for and he’s physical enough for Bale to not feel like a human ping pong ball suit. He’s also from the newer comics, which Waititi’s lifting from since Jane Foster will also be Thor in the movie.

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett I'm still dubious on them having Jane Thor in the movie, i don't think Natalie Portman has the chops to pull it off frankly

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo I dunno, Portman’s a brilliant actress. The problem is that every mainstream movie she’s done has had awful scripts. If you watch movies like Black Swan, Closer and Léon, you can see that she’s an accomplished actress but one who requires a script that pulls out her full potential. Thor and TDW are not particularly well written, just like most of the MCU so a lot of the big actors and actresses end up falling flat due to not being properly utilised.

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett i guess but i still have reservations about it, plus Ragnarok was awesome and Chris is really good as Thor i don't want them to replace him with an inferior version of the character

nessisonett

@FullbringIchigo He’s a good Thor but the MCU needs to move forwards and stop treating female characters as only supporting characters. This Black Widow movie is about 7 years too late and feels utterly pointless and every other solo movie has had a decent actress portraying generic love interest with nothing to do. It’s about time they utilised their talent and gave them something to do, especially given how Jane Thorster was a long running storyline in the comics.

JohnnyShoulder

Sure Portman is a fine actress, but her character in the Thor movies I have always found to be such a bore. It was such an odd choice to base a whole movie on. Taika's involvement has slightly increased my interest but not by much. As @LN78 said I've really liked his previous stuff, the What We Do In The Shadows film and series are the most funniest things I've seen in recent times.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder It’s important to note that Portman’s character was a bore because the first two Thor movies could have been written by children. It’s hard for her to have been a stand out character when she was essentially written to be background scenery.

FullbringIchigo

@nessisonett don't care about gender, i just want a good film that's well written, well directed and well acted

as for not wanting to lose Chris's Thor that's more to do with the fact he is the last of the "Old Guard" so to speak, once he is gone there will be no one who connects the films to the beginning of the MCU anymore

not that it matters much now anyway because i've got to the point where it's starting to wear out it's welcome, as strange as it is to say i think it's gotten too big and there are too many releases on the horizon and they are all starting to meld together that i feel once Thor goes and the last of the originals are gone then that's it for me

i have already stopped going to the cinema to watch them and i don't even buy the blu-ray's anymore, just the standard DVD release and not even at release day either, for example it was only last month i got round to getting Antman and the Wasp, Spider-Man far from home and Captain Marvel and i STILL haven't watched AM&TW yet

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 yeah i might go watch X-Men in the cinema depending on how they handle it of course

JohnnyShoulder

FullbringIchigo wrote:

don't care about gender, i just want a good film that's well written, well directed and well acted

Yeah totally agree. Getting bit a sick of hearing about some kind of diversity hole that needs to be filled in most things I'm interested in.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Tjuz

I think diversity is incredibly important in any medium and shouldn't be taken lightly at all. The responsibility however is definitely on the creators, so I don't see it as a negative that someone would be less invested in seeing it happen as a viewer. It's certainly harder to actively stand for such a cause when you're the ones already being represented, making it not feel as urgent of a need too. Recently, Apple TV+ had a docuseries called Visible: Out on Television which chronicled LGBT representation on TV over the years. Anyone doubting how important diversity and inclusivity in media is should really watch that. Great docuseries to boot.

Tjuz

FullbringIchigo

@Tjuz oh please don't misunderstand i absolutely believe all representation of every kind is important but i also feel that because these are films (or TV shows, or Books or games etc) that it's also just as important to have a strong story, good writing, the right actors and so forth because at the end of the day these are entertainment and it doesn't matter who representative it is or how social significant it is, if it's a bad film then it's a bad film

it's important that these messages are delivered but you also have to make damn sure you deliver it right otherwise it falls on deaf ears because being representative just for the sake of it is just as damaging as not being representative at all

as they say "a good message no matter how progressive can still fail if it's delivered wrong"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic