Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,321 to 3,340 of 8,863

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Given that I haven't seen the first Transformers, not after the second left me recoiling in horror, it sounds like I'll have a good time with Bumblebee. Cheers!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Revenge of the Fallen is easily the worst of them! 😂

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@Arugula Looking forward to it even more now, thanks!

@KALofKRYPTON It was shockingly bad. One of the worst films I've ever seen, offensive on almost every level imaginable (and a few I'd never even considered before, too). It put me right off the franchise, so Bumblebee will be the first I've sat down and tried to watch since. I'm only doing so because I heard a lot of "they actually made a good film for once" buzz around its release.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 You're right, it is. Just watched it and was thoroughly entertained (and surprised) by its simplicity and genuine heart, as well as its embrace of occasional campy fun. Could nitpick but won't, as its charm won me over. Delightful stuff.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger glad you enjoyed into the spider verse, it really is fantastic. Thought Bumblebee was a bit average, felt like I'd seen it 100 times before.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@RogerRoger So happy that we didn’t oversell Into the Spiderverse. It does hold up on a rewatch also. I should know since I’ve watched it ... 4 or 5 times I think, and it’s fun every time.
Sounds like I should watch Bumblebee. I’m not a fan of Transformers as a franchise, but enjoyed the first film. I don’t remember having seen any of the other movies, unless it had Megan Fox in it. Interestingly, the other day I noticed Bumblebee sitting on the shelf on sale and I thought briefly about picking it up.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder @Th3solution Thanks, folks. Am quite looking forward to giving it another watch and (if you'll forgive the pun) marvelling at its animation.

And yes, I think we all remember seeing plenty of Megan Fox in Transformers.

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Into the Spider-Verse is supposed to look pretty good in UHD, so I've heard. It looks good anyway, but NOW TV only outputs at 720p (unless you pony up to 1080p), so will look better even on a standard Blu-Ray.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Megan Fox... what a disappointing career that has been. She was supposed to be the next Angelina Jolie. Transformers seemed to jettison her into top tier billing, and then it seems like she just disappeared. I always wonder why some actors and actresses fall by the wayside while others explode and end up in dozens of big budget productions.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yeah, but under such an immediate spotlight, it can't have been fun for her. She was in the two Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films (which I caught on Netflix recently, and really enjoyed) but that felt a bit like she'd just gone to dinner with ol' buddy Michael Bay one evening and asked for work. Which may be doing her a disservice, apologies. I guess we're all capable of changing course at one time or another, so here's hoping she's pursuing something she enjoys...

...which is apparently still acting, according to Google (I got curious). Her filmography has just been a bit more, how to put this politely, "selective" of late.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Yeah, “selective” ...😄 that’s one way to put it.

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I know this was a full day ago, but your comment on Bumblebee: "I heard a lot of buzz around its release"

Very nice.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution @RogerRoger A note on Megan Fox; she was chewed up, typecast, overexposed and scorned by the Hollywood powers that be when she dared open her mouth about it and be honest about the roles she was taking and being offered.
She'd made plenty of money and started a family. She became a little more choosy over the roles she took. On paper, some of the stuff she did should've been dynamite.

There was a Fathom (I read a few issues of it, it was OK) film in the works with her attached to star but it didn't go anywhere.

Also Bumblebee! Totally worth it for the G1 looking Cybertron scenes!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

WanderingBullet

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, the premise was a bit similar to the first Transformers movie I felt. I thought the movie was decent but I think a lot of people loved it mainly because it was better than the previous movies.

Guess the studio had no choice because they wanted the PG-13 rating but I thought it was a weird decision to have the humans liquefied and explode into a pool of slime when they got shot by the Deceptions, though. It made it felt like a kids movie.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RR529

I recently rewatched Starship Troopers, for the first time on Blu-Ray. A fun satire of militant nationalism with a sci-fi flair, I enjoy myself every time I watch it (despite the fact that the special effects are dated in spots, I love the first scene in space where Carmen flies the little shuttle around the space station).

Also ordered my next batch of Blu-Rays:

• Evangelion 1.11 (first film in a series that retells the story of Neon Genesis Evangelion).
  • the Living Daylights (my next Bond film. I actually forgot to check to see if this or License to Kill was next after A View to a Kill, but I figured in the end it really doesn't matter which I watch first).
  • Star Wars Episode 1: the Phantom Menace (figured I'd start collecting the series).
  • Stripes (This Bill Murray comedy is definitely a guilty pleasure).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Bang on, not a bad movie by any means and an improvement on the second film (which is as far as I got), but that is not really saying much. It just seemed to repeat what was great about the first film and not bring anything new to the table.

JohnnyShoulder

@RR529 If you enjoyed Starship Troopers, you should try Verhoeven's other films from around the same time. Robocop and Total Recall are two of my favourite films from that period. Just be wary of the remakes, they are not a patch on the originals.

KALofKRYPTON

Watched The Prodigy on Netflix last night.

The first third or so is great - but as it moves on it falls in to relatively generic fare.

Very nicely directed in spots and the young lad does an incredible job!

Worth a watch, but don't trip over yourself rushing to it.

DonJorginho

Rewatched the masterpiece that is The Lighthouse last night, easily the best film of 2019 and shows why Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe are two of the best actors around in my opinion.

Untitled

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic