My Oscar 2020 Predictions

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt
Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern
Best Director: Bong Joon-Ho
Best Picture: Parasite
Best Cinematography: Jarin Blaschke
Best Adapted Screenplay: Greta Gerwig (Little Women)
Best Original Screenplay: Bong Joon-Ho (Parasite)
Best Animated Feature: Missing Link
Best Costume Design: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Best Editing: Parasite
Best Make-Up and Hairstyling: Joker
Best Visual Effects: The Irishman
Best Original Score: Joker
Best Production Design: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

DonJorginho

WanderingBullet

@DonJorginho I read that 1917's really good and that it might win for best director and cinematography. I wanted to watch it last week but I wasn't able to due to limited screenings.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

DonJorginho

@WanderingBullet It could and I see it winning cinematography easily due to the nature of the one shot, and that could easily win it best editing too.

I just love Bong so much lol

DonJorginho

WanderingBullet

Not sure how I feel about this but Hollywood's making a Westernised live-action version of Your Name. with J.J Abrams producing it.

nessisonett

@WanderingBullet I do not hold much hope for that. Alita was kinda funny if not spectacular and who knows when this Akira movie’s ever gonna get made. I reckon they should just leave well alone, the originals are 99% of the time just better.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

WanderingBullet

@nessisonett On paper, Hollywood should be able to make good adaptions. They have the budget and talents to do so but a lot of times they just ruin it by not being faithful to the source material because they want the movies to appeal to the Western audience.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Yeah they should leave Akira well alone. It is a hard balance to find, but if you are gonna make a movie based on a something so beloved it should always be faithful to the source material first and foremost and not cater to the masses. Trying to do both rarely works IMO.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

DonJorginho

@JohnnyShoulder I agree with everything you said, but if any director currently can pull Akira off, it is definitely Taika Waititi as he has such an eye for his craft and loves creating such unique cinema, I feel like he would be able to do the source material justice too.

It all depends on how restricted he is by Warner Bros.

DonJorginho

KALofKRYPTON

@DonJorginho Noooooooo!!!

Keep TW well away from Akira! There's scant humour to be found in the anime - and I honestly don't think TW can work without it.

I do not want a jolly adaptation of Akira.

Give it to Neill Blomkamp. His aesthetic sensibilities and psychologically crippling tone would serve the story well.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@DonJorginho Oh didn't realise it was Taika Waititi directing. Yeah hopefully the studio won't intervene too much. It better not be going for the 12A audience.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

DonJorginho

@KALofKRYPTON Neill is a good shout, but I don't think they will switch directors again so I think TW is the choice for it, I don't think he will make it jolly as such, he may throw in some humour but I think he would do the source material justice.

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

KALofKRYPTON

@DonJorginho
adding humour will not be doing it justice. There's mild umour to be had in some of the ultra-violence early on, but it's nothing you'd actually want to be laughing at.

TW is good at what he does - I just don't see what he does translating to Akira.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

DonJorginho

@KALofKRYPTON I think as this is TW we have to expect some form of humour is all I am saying.

Is it doing the source material justice fully? No, but I would take that over a whitewashed film that leans away from the original material like other cancelled versions of this film did.

If WB would be open to letting go of TW then by all means do it ASAP but I don't know if they will do such a thing at this stage.

DonJorginho

nessisonett

Denis Villeneuve would be a great shout for Akira but he’s busy with Dune. If he can pull that off, he can do anything.

Edited on by nessisonett

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

DonJorginho

@nessisonett Denis is for me the best director going atm alongside Noah Baumbach, such a genius behind the camera.

DonJorginho

RogerRoger

So I've started my Marvel catch-up, having just watched Ant-Man and The Wasp. It was a lot of fun. For a movie immediately following THAT cliffhanger, I loved that they just said "nah, let's have a cool, goofy blockbuster to cheer everybody up" and kept the doom and gloom to the mid-credits sequence. Otherwise it was just enjoyable, fast-paced comic book fluff that put a smile on my face.

It'll be Captain Marvel later this evening, before Avengers Endgame tomorrow.

Also a brief side note, but The Rise of Skywalker is much better second time around. Especially when watched in an empty cinema with my father, who kept laughing at the gags and asking me "Who's that again?" Made it a much more throwaway, lightweight experience.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I see I'm only just ahead of you in the MCU! Think I've just got Spider-Man Far From Home to watch.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Glad to hear you enjoyed Ant Man and the Wasp. For me it was enjoyable, but one of the weaker late phase outings. Part of me couldn’t help but question the logic and science of it all. How did the mom (I forget her name, but Michelle Phifer) survive all they time in the tiny dimension? What did she eat? How did she bathe? And how did she keep from going completely bonkers in what was basically solitary confinement for all those years? 😅 It’s waaay overthinking it, I know, but I couldn’t help it. But the Ant-Man films continue to have some of the greatest visual gags, despite the noted logic discrepancies. The Hello Kitty PEZ, the Thomas the Train toy, etc. 😂
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the epic conclusion.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic