Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 3,221 to 3,240 of 8,930

DonJorginho

@Arugula Joker will probably get in my top ten but it won't be any further than 10 or 9, and that is due to the score, the acting from the legend that is Joaquin Phoenix and the cinematography and set design.

I thought aside from those areas the film was a very average watch, predictable story, heavy (perhaps too heavy) influences from Taxi Driver and King Of Comedy, terrible dialogue, and very one note attempts at sympathy for the characters.

For example it is sometimes so hard to sympathise with Arthur Fleck as it feels so by the books at times, with the way the sign hits Arthur over the head at the start of the film being a visual representation of how the film is hitting us the audience over the head that we should feel sorry for Arthur and how life is quite literally beating him down, if it wasn't for Joaquin Phoenix playing this role, the film would have fell flat on its face.

I think this film could have been something special if it was directed by someone with more talent and creative vision, aswell as had a better screenplay behind it.

However the factors I loved about the film redeem it's average qualities and allow me to give it a solid 7-7.5/10.

My favourite film this year has still been by far The Lighthouse, and would highly recommend.

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

DonJorginho

I AM DONE WITH THE OSCARS.

Greta Gerwig snubbed for best director
Willem Dafoe snubbed for best supporting actor
Uncut Gems or The Lighthouse snubbed for best picture
Adam Sandler snubbed for best actor

DonJorginho

nessisonett

@DonJorginho As long as Parasite and Bong Joon-ho get the plaudits they deserve, I’ll be happy. One of the best years in history for foreign cinema and I’m increasingly over the bias towards movies in English.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

DonJorginho

@nessisonett I am so happy for Bong as he is a genius behind the camera, if he wins best picture, Joaquin best actor and Roger Deakins best cinematography I will be happy.

DonJorginho

Ralizah

While it's a bit of a standard courtroom drama in places, Just Mercy is gloriously, righteously angry about white supremacy, the death penalty, and social injustice in America. Also, Michael B. Jordan continues to be an excellent actor.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah He was a pretty decent basketball player too.
Oh wait, that’s a different Michael Jordan.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

Nice. Secured a ticket to a theatrical showing of Makoto Shinkai's Weathering With You. Between that, Underwater, and 1917, it's going to be a decent week at the movies.

@Th3solution I wonder how many Michael Jordan jokes he had to endure as a child?

Edited on by Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Or how many times THAT joke has been told?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Ralizah Very nice. I went to see 5 Centimeters Per Second in my local indie cinema and it was stunning. I haven’t seen that one yet, make sure you let us know how it was!

Ralizah

@nessisonett I love 5CpS. It's such an artistically pure, bleak film, and probably the strongest vehicle he's developed in terms of how well it evokes certain strong emotions.

I expect this'll follow the same format as Your Name, to some extent, in terms of it feeling like Shinkai Lite, with more of a pronounced YA feel to it. There's no escaping the success of that film.

But yeah, I'll definitely be posting about it. Crazy to think that, less than 20 years ago, he was making anime on his computer at home, with he and his girlfriend doing voices for the characters.

Edited on by Ralizah

Tjuz

I'm glad Parasite is getting recognition, but don't forget about Portrait of a Lady on Fire which is easily the best film I've seen this year, English or otherwise. For all of the Golden Globes' faults, they did well nominating it despite France's ridiculous choice not to back it. I think it's the best movie I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. Genius.

Tjuz

RogerRoger

@Ralizah @Th3solution ...wait, the Michael B. Jordan who's in a bunch of films isn't the basketball star? I genuinely thought he was, and that he'd just switched to an acting career and added the initial to mark the change. Shows how much attention I pay to celebrity!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger I think that Michael Jordan's film career began and ended with Space Jam.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Haha, yeah - the joke is so bad that I couldn’t help it. @Ralizah tossed it out there like a softball just tempting someone to swing at it. Unfortunately I have been watching a little NBA lately and so it was easy to succumb 😂.

But yes, @RogerRoger they are two different people. I am jealous of you for not knowing that, actually. I’m proud of the times when I’m blissfully unaware of the details of pop culture and Hollywood’s activities.
But it begs the question, if your last name is ‘Jordan’, isn’t ‘Michael’ the one name that is off-limits to name your son? 😂. Literally anything except Michael would have been easier to live with.
Or maybe the trial of bearing the name made him stronger, a la the classic song, “Boy Named Sue” ...🤔

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

nessisonett

@Th3solution They should retire names when they retire shirt numbers 😂😂

Th3solution

@nessisonett Yeah, I’ve heard of people just changing their last names if they have one that is too recognizable, particularly if it is reminiscent of someone publicly infamous.

Ralizah

@Th3solution I think "Michael Myers" is probably still worse. Then you're named after a serial killer or, worse, an unfunny comedian.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution It gets worse/better. His dad is called Michael A. Jordan.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tasuki

I went and graduated High School with a guy named Dustin Hoffman no joke. In fact everyone called him Rainman as a nickname.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

WanderingBullet

Not sure about who or which movie will win the other categories but I think Joaquin Phoenix is certain to win the Best Actor award.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic