Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 301 to 320 of 8,907

usb

@Speedy67 I remember watching the original Equalizer so did not want to watch what they had done with it as i would always be comparing it to the original which at the time was a great.

Walking past the Cinema today saw that there is a new Blairwitch film. This one was totally off my radar. The Blair Witch Project is one of top 10 films and number one for horror movies. The sequel was ok but felt rushed. But the original was so well marketed and filmed it started the whole found footage genre. Its been a while since I have been excited to see a horror movie but this along with a new Ring film has got me excited. The reviews seem to be pretty good for it as well.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

Speedy67

@dryrain: I'm not too bothered about Blairwitch myself, but Kubo and the Two Strings, The Magnificent Seven and The Hunt For the Wilderpeople have all caught my eye.

I did watch Turbo Kid, and it's great. Highly recommended to fans of 80's action films and/or Mad Max: Fury Road, really funny and gory film, great fun.

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

Victor_Meldrew

@Speedy67: I thought equalizer was great, scrapes in at 8/10.
Recently saw BFG 7/10 not as creepy as the animated version.
Hell or Highwater was excellent 8/10 and Don't Breathe quietly gets better throughout, another 8/10.

Victor_Meldrew

RR529

Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion - rewatched the TV series very recently, so I finished out by watching this film, which acts as an alternate ending. It was totally bizarre (seriously, it has the weirdest scenes I've ever seen in an anime, and that's saying something), but I think I understand the series a bit more after watching it.

Goldfinger - Starz Encore has been showing a lot of old Bond films lately, and while I've caught bits & pieces of many of them, it wasn't until today that I had the time to see one in full. This one's a 60's entry, and while (naturally) dated in various aspects, it was still quite decent. I especially liked the car chase scene with all it's gizmos (smokescreen, oil slick, ejection seat, etc.), and the action packed climax.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Speedy67

Saw Kubo and the Two Strings last night. Very highly recommended, is an incredible film, one of the best films of the decade so far.

Speedy67

Last film I watched was Escape From New York, which, as a semi-classic, was kinda disappointing.

andreoni79

Few days ago I turned off my PS4 I accidentally stumbled in a horror movie named "Annabelle". It was late night and I was using headphones, and that surely helped to raise the tension, but it was quite scary.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

crippyd

I watched Deadpool last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched it at the cinema and the jokes didn't lose any of the humour for knowing the punchlines, still a very good film but should have been rated 18 (in the UK) rather than the 15 it has been given.

crippyd

RR529

Sweet Bean (Netflix) - Japanese film that sees the manager of a small Dorayaki shop hire a kind elderly lady to help out around the shop, and while her touch does help attract more customers, her past holds a secret that threatens to drive them away. It's a very slow paced film, so it's not for everyone, but it was quite emotional and am glad I tried it out.

Disney's Zootopia (Netflix) - Usually one more for their fairy tale inspired films I wasn't sure how much I'd like this one, but it was really quite excellent. There were more than a few laughs, there were actually some nice action scenes, and it was visually stunning (the world they crafted had a vibrant array of colors, and had so much care and thought put into every nook & cranny. It was beautiful).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Speedy67

Watched Thirteen Days in school today, is useful for history class and a pretty interesting film, but nothing special. Also watched Cheap Thrills, but I couldn't bare to watch the whole thing because it's so horrible, and although it was quite well made, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

RR529

Saving Private Ryan (Netflix) - Had the time to watch it on Saturday, so I took the chance (I had seen bits and pieces before, but not the full thing until now). The numerous battle scenes were impressive to witness, but were also the most painful, brutally realistic I've ever seen in a war film (never before have I seen a film that made me realize how terrifying being in such a situation must be). It really makes you appreciate the sacrifice that generation made, and although an excellent film well worth watching, due to the brutality, I don't see myself going back to it often.

Top Gun (Netflix) - An iconic 80's film (that I've never seen before) about a hot shot pilot who tries to graduate from the Navy's prestigious "Top Gun" ace academy. A bit more light hearted than the last film to say the least (though it does have a solemn moment), but I really liked watching this one as well. The story is pretty standard, but all the aerial action was cool to see (all choreographed by professional military flight teams), even without the use of CGI that we have today, which in a way made it even more awesome. Of course, it had a pretty kick-butt 80's soundtrack to boot. Makes me want to play some Ace Combat...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

WanderingBullet

@SkanetWasTaken Same here. I watched it at the cinemas and thought it was pretty good as well considering it's a CGI movie based on a video game.

Speaking of movies based on video games, Hollywood's making a live-action Monster Hunter movie.

While, Japan's making a live-action JoJo's Bizarre Adventures movie. Not so sure about this one, it's gonna be pretty difficult to adapt it since the characters in the anime and manga are so over the top.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Speedy67

Watched Kick-Ass most recently. Fun film.

crippyd

I've got Captain America Civil War and Mad Max on Blu Ray to watch over the weekend so it's going to be fun times ahead!!

crippyd

crippyd

@Tasuki the story in Mad Max is utter bobbins but the score is fantastic! Make sure you have some good speakers on the end of it. Visuals are great too. It has to be one of the best 2 hour car chases ever.

crippyd

crippyd

Watching Civil War, great film, just as good as it was in the cinema.

crippyd

Dichotomy

Anyone know of any good werewolf films? Apart from American Werewolf in London, Dog Soldiers and, to a lesser extent, Wer they all seem to be mediocre at best. So if you know of any good ones I might have missed let me know.

Dichotomy

Dryst

Dichotomy wrote:

Anyone know of any good werewolf films? Apart from American Werewolf in London, Dog Soldiers and, to a lesser extent, Wer they all seem to be mediocre at best. So if you know of any good ones I might have missed let me know.

The Howling is very good - there were a lot of sequels of varying quality but none were as good as the first. Company of Wolves is interesting but not for all tastes (it ends to be more sedate and atmospheric) . There was an interesting one made in 1974 called "The Beast Must Die" which is a mix of a werewolf theme with the plot from "And Then There Were None." I liked Van Helsing (2004) a lot (despite some of the more outlandish things in it) and a werewolf features prominently in it Some of the Gingersnaps movies are very good. If you at all like older movies all of the five 40's Universal werewolf movies starring Lon Chaney Jr. are very good.

Edited on by Dryst

"I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic