Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,781 to 2,800 of 8,894

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Yeah, they did a Halloween one, in a motel, and a dinosaur/Land That Time Forgot-style thing involving some 'Battlesaurs'. The Halloween one was ace, the other one I don't remember much about but I do remember enjoying it.

I'll not go into detail about Toy Story 4, check back when you've watched it and we'll talk about it then.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Okay, will do. Thanks!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

jacobia

@RogerRoger So, what do think of the final Rise Of Skywalker trailer?....I think it’s great, really looking forward to seeing the movie in the cinema.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 @jacobia yeah it kind of evolved from a Star Trek topic to include all major sci-fi series, we should probably change the name at some point

what do you think @RogerRoger it was your creation after all?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo @LN78 Yeah, I created the Star Trek topic because there were two or three of us Trekkies regularly derailing other topics. Star Trek is a pretty niche franchise which seems to encourage us nerds to write at length about fine detail others wouldn't wanna slog through; it was as much to protect everybody else as it was to provide a place for us to geek out.

I don't want to inadvertently make the forums feel cliquey. Star Wars has a broader, more populist appeal which means it should be addressed in the wider movie and / or TV topics.

Apologies for any confusion!

@jacobia Thanks for asking! I agree with you, it's a fantastic trailer and the film looks really promising; an excellent chance for Disney to wrap things up in a big, fan service bow. I'm tempted to try and see it at the cinema, but likely once the whole Christmas and New Year break has passed. I'd rather not have to sit alongside some hyperactive kids (especially since I'd the biggest hyperactive kid of them all).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Jackjasper

@WanderingBullet
Not yet but it's at the top of my list the moment it's showing. That director is a film festival unto himself, both Mother and Snowpiercer being masterpieces of completely different tone and pace. I can't wait for Parasite.

Jackjasper

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger That a really good point. I mostly ignore the Star Trek topic, but if I'd known Star Wars was being discussed I would have read it and who knows maybe join in.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Conversational flow can often lead to crossovers into other franchises but yeah, when it becomes the core focus we should shift it here.

So, what do you think of the new trailer, then? Looking forward to the film?

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan (I did watch the originals as a kid, and my dad took my brother & I to see Episode I in theaters, but it wasn't a particularly important franchise to me as a kid), but I do like the series well enough & the new trailer actually has me pretty hyped.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Th3solution

Hmmm... I think the trailer was just ‘okay.’ The best part was Palpatine’s voice over. I’ve never been smitten by Star Wars trailers though, despite loving all the movies.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I've not seen any of the trailers for the latest film. I tend not to watch them these days as I find they either show off too much or have cut footage, which hella annoys me.

Not a massive Star Wars fans either, loved the original Trilogy growing up as a kid, the prequels were OK. I'm a bit mixed on the sequels, really enjoyed The Force Awakens for what it was, but hated The Last Jedi. Never thought I would be bored watching a Star Wars film but they managed to achieve it.

I don't go to the cinema anymore, but I will catch it when it releases for home viewing.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

WanderingBullet

@Jackjasper I haven't watched those two movies you've mentioned, only The Host and Okja and they were both pretty good.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder I think it's quite telling that you, a casual fan, feels exactly the same about the sequel trilogy as this obsessed, hardcore fanboy does.

@Th3solution Palpatine really is the "please give us one more chance" ace in the hole, isn't he?

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger I have a mate in work who is an uber fan of Star Wars. And in uber in the sense that he saw TFA about 20 times in the cinema. No lie. He feels the same though regarding the sequels and the spin offs as me, but is super hyped about the new film.

mookysam

Saw Terminator: Dark Fate earlier. The film disregards the last three films and their baggage, instead acting as a sequel to Terminator 2, which is a very wise decision, not least because Genisys was woeful. Don't want to spoil anything, so all I shall say is Linda Hamilton is completely and utterly badass, as are the other two female leads. Brilliant to see her back in the franchise. Excellent film all round.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Th3solution

@jacobia @JohnnyShoulder @RR529 @RogerRoger Interestingly, I watched the new Star Wars trailer immediately (like an about an hour) following my re-viewing of Marvel’s Infinity War. (Yes I’m still trudging through the MCU, and I’m so close to the end now!) And I really think that seeing it in that frame of mind decreased my hype for Rise of Skywalker. After watching the frenetic pace, high octane action, and constant parade of endearing characters and complex and menacing villains, I was basking in the satisfying afterglow of Infinity War when I clicked on the trailer to watch it. So that’s how I ended up with the ‘meh’ response in comparison. I was surprised at my own emotional response (or lack thereof) when I saw Rey, Fin, Kylo Ren, and Poe. Do I really care about the plight of these characters as much as I thought I would? The tug to know how the heroes will win the day was not near as strong as my investment in the plight of the Avengers conflict versus Thanos. I could only describe my response as indifference. Shockingly, I felt very little by way of adrenaline surge until I heard Palpatine’s voice. A menacing and interesting villain is really what this new movie needs.

Now, don’t get me wrong— I will be there at the theater opening week most likely and probably dressed up in a costume (or at least a Star Wars T-shirt) and I’ll love the new movie, no doubt. But the shimmer is a little dull right now.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Oooh nice to hear some good impressions about the new Terminator @mookysam

Kinda forgot it was out so soon to be honest!

I assume Arnie puts in a good performance too?

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Infinity War was the final nail in the coffin for me going to the cinema. And it also blunted my interest in the MCU. I used to watch all the Marvel films in the cinema, now I'm more than happy to wait until they are available for home viewing.

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Lol, what?! ...Ah well, to each their own. Admittedly it’s not Shakespeare or Hemingway, but I enjoyed it immensely, and even more on watching it again. I’m a sucker for testosterone fueled explosions and colorful eye candy sprinkled with shallow characterizations that feed on well worn tropes and baseless ideology, I suppose. 😄

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic