Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,541 to 2,560 of 8,907

WanderingBullet

What if they ended this movie with Arthur Fleck killing both Thomas and Martha Wayne? > Cut to young Bruce Wayne then him hearing Arthur Fleck laughing. > End credits.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet That would chime with Jack Nicholson's version of the Joker, for sure. I believe he's the only Joker who's ever been put in the frame for killing the Waynes.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger @LN78 I think it'll be a cool ending if done right but on second thought, I guess it'll only work for audiences that are familiar with Batman's origin.

redd214

@LN78 Yeah the reviews are pretty surprising in the best way possible. I was already excited to see it but the overwhelmingly positive reception is a great surprise! Really looking forward to it

redd214

Ralizah

Like I thought, Joker is basically New Age Travis Bickle.

It looks good. So much more interesting than the endless torrent of formulaic material coming out of Marvel.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Tjuz

I'm very excited for Joker. I'm not all that into the superhero movies in general, but I can always appreciate it when the genre tries to do something different (especially the TV show Legion). This seems to be one of those cases. and the trailer looked fantastic. I do enjoy DC's villains, hence me playing Arkham Asylum just a few days ago, and this looks to be a very interesting take on one of their best. Very reassuring to hear it getting an overwhelmingly positive response out of Venice. I'll probably be seeing this opening weekend, if I can't watch it earlier!

Tjuz

WanderingBullet

Awesome! I saw the scores for Joker on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes but decided not to read the reviews to avoid spoilers.

I think they also submitted the movie for Oscar consideration?

RR529

The Wolverine Extended Cut (Blu-Ray) - Film that sees the popular X-Men character travelling to Japan to say goodbye to a friend on their deathbed, a former WWII Japanese soldier turned leader of the most powerful business conglomerate in Japan, but things don't go as planned when a variety of forces target the man's granddaughter (and company heir), and Wolverine is dragged into the mess (all while his healing factor is failing him).

I actually quite enjoyed this one. It's not a transformative film, but the action is visceral & has a satisfying meatiness to it that it seems the MCU films are missing (I quite enjoyed the fight on the bullet train & the final battle with Silver Samurai), it seems to have fun with the Japanese setting (across the neon lit streets of Tokyo, snowy mountain villages, and the tropical setting of southern Japan, wolverine finds himself up against all the staples of Japanese pop-culture in terms of Yakuza, Ninja, and even a small scale Mecha), and it makes great use of color.

I know Fox's X-Men films are often hit & miss, but I'm actually going to miss them now that Marvel has the license back (it'll probably be for the best, but still).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WanderingBullet

@Frigate Yeah, I was surprised to find out that most of his previous works were comedies.

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 Logan is the Wolverine I always thought they should had made from the start. The Wolverine wasn't a bad film imo but I didn't think it was amazing either. The ending was a bit meh I thought. It did have the stench of studio intervention about it and there was a good film in there somewhere.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

WanderingBullet

Logan is still best X-Men movie. If there's one thing I do hope they include in MCU's X-Men reboot is Colossus from the Deadpool movies. Loved that version of him. Only problem with that version is that we'll never see him revert to his human form.

WanderingBullet

@LN78 No, I haven't. Which is funny, since I watched every superheroes movies in the theatres. Even the lousy ones like the recent Hellboy which I had a strong feeling was gonna be bad.haha. Dark Phoenix was the only superheroes movie I didn't felt like watching in the theatres.

Ralizah

@KratosMD There used to be a lot more decent horror movies on Netflix/Hulu (including plenty of foreign films), but a streaming service dedicated to horror movies called Shudder seems to have scooped up almost everything decent.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Tjuz

@Frigate Not the first Hangovers alumni to score a surprise critical hit this year! Craig Mazin, who wrote for Part 2 and 3 as well as a few Scary Movie films, was the brains behind Chernobyl on HBO earlier this year, which was great and received immense critical acclaim. What a strange career trajectory for the Hangovers talent.

Tjuz

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 No not seen Dark Phoenix, I'm a bit behind on my superhero films think I've got Captain Marvel to watch next. And that is with giving up on the DC stuff too.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

This weekend, my partner and I watched Ocean's Twelve and genuinely have no idea what to even think. We'd watched the previous film a couple weeks ago and it was a fun, if uninspired, rug-pulling heist flick that traded on its stars' easygoing charm... but this? This was just a mess.

Usually I'm okay with a mess if it's a well-acted, well-presented one (and goodness knows Hollywood has served up enough of them) but this felt like it was written, directed and edited by three different people, in three separate rooms, totally isolated from one another. The revelatory pay-off wasn't enough to justify such a scattershot, scatter-brained preceding two hours; things just seemed to happen, out of nowhere, with little grounding and even less audience engagement. By the time somebody was waiving a holographic egg about whilst Julia Roberts, playing Tess, played Julia Roberts opposite a dumbfounded Bruce Willis playing Bruce Willis, my patented Transformers 2 face was back in action.

The cast looked like they were having a lovely time, the music was desperately trying to convey a light and bouncy tone, and the budget was clearly being well-used but... well, what was it all for? I couldn't tell you. I don't even wanna try and tell you. My partner was in hysterics; not at the film, but at the pick 'n mix of emotions etched into my face. So at least he got an entertaining evening out of it.

We also watched The Terminator, since neither of us had for decades, and both agreed that an alarmingly-simple premise, executed with strong visual storytelling, was a far superior experience. We'll be watching the sequel next weekend, not that either of us felt it called for one.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@LN78 I became pretty disillusioned with going the the cinema after not enjoying The Last Jedi and Infinity War. I will still watch em just not at the cinema. Into the Spider-Verse was the last superhero film I really enjoyed. But even the Netflix stuff I think I've got one one more season to go on each of them. I took a break from them but not sure if I can be bothered to go back to them now. DC I gave up after Justice League, might give Joker a go at some point as thst seems a bit different to what they have done recently.

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 i've given up on the Marvel films now, Endgame was a good enough ending for me, i have zero interest right now in any of the upcoming stuff

as for Star Wars The Mandalorian actually looks interesting and i'm interested in the Obi Wan series but the Trilogy from the GoT producers seems to have vanished and as for the Rian Johnson Trilogy well that can get blown out of the nearest airlock for all i care, he knows eff all about Star Wars and shouldn't be allowed within 500 miles of it

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic