Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,501 to 2,520 of 8,866

Kidfried

Killing Joke is my fav Batman comic.

Kidfried

RR529

National Lampoon's Vacation (Blu-Ray) - Required summertime viewing as far as I'm concerned. As someone whose family used to take annual roadtrips up to Minnesota, so much of this film feels so relatable.

Granted, I'm not a fan of how they handled Edna's death, or rather Clark's reaction to it (he just seems like too much of a butt during this scene, and is hard to empathize with him here), but the rest of the film is just so much fun. Anything that can go wrong does go wrong, and unlike many modern raunch comedies that either overly rely on the F-Bomb way too much and/or get cartoonishly goofy, it usually stays just grounded enough to be believable, which makes it all the better, IMO.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kyleforrester87

@RR529 I am not really a fan of that one, but I do love Christmas Vacation. It always comes out for a viewing during the holiday season!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

That final shot in particular reinforces a popular theory which could turn out to be correct, so read the following at your own risk: folks are suggesting that Rey is from a series of Force-sensitive clones used by Palpatine's spirit to prolong his life beyond death. Our individual Rey was taken as a child and dumped on Jakku for reasons various, and she must fight an evil version of herself (the next clone in line) inhabited by Palpatine. This is heavily influenced by an old Expanded Universe storyline, but Disney are keen to win back older fans after they've struggled to make anything feel original; there's weight to the idea of them adapting one of the books. It also makes sense when you consider that, in The Last Jedi, Rey's quest to "find herself" resulted in her staring at endless reflections of herself in that cave, and Kylo would've been keen to protect the truth of her identity. She would also have the connection to Luke's lightsaber in The Force Awakens because Palpatine is the father of all Skywalkers, having manipulated the midichlorians to conceive Anakin and likely pulled the same trick to create his super-powerful line of clones.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Oh my... now we’re talking! That sounds awesome!

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
That's pretty much what I've been thinking, it also helps explain her having no training.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

Rumor is that JJ Abrams' $500 million dollar deal with WB includes him helming Superman and Green Lantern projects.

If true, I think it's fair to say that we'll never see Cavill as Superman again

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you know that's just what i was thinking it was and what if it was Luke that put her on Jakku, perhaps he saved her from a clone facility during a mission

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON it's still possible he could be used but i think WB wanna reboot both Batman and Superman so he probably wont

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I think the next Superman film will be a reboot of some sort - no doubt about it really; and needing to recast Batman serves as a soft reboot opportunity at the very least.

I think they'll use JJ to do it and he'll dredge up his crappy ideas for Flyby while potentially opening the way for a shared universe again.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet Probably.

Cavill screen-tested (and was reportedly cast) for Superman: Flyby, but he was 20 at the time and the script was built around a college-age Clark Kent. The development hell continued until Singer showed up with a Superman The Movie sequel idea and binned everything else.

You can find the Flyby script online. It's terrible.

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Might've been Luke but it genuinely could've been "a nobody" as Kylo says, somebody working in the cloning lab who took a child on impulse, but then realised that she'd grow up to become somebody who Palpatine / the First Order could track, so they dumped her to protect themselves. There's also still the question of who Matt Smith is gonna play, of course. Could be a connection there.

@Th3solution @KALofKRYPTON Yeah, I'm allowing myself to get a little bit excited about The Rise of Skywalker now... not much, just a little. Just gotta start building up the confidence to go to the cinema within the first couple days of release!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I feel pretty safe in the assumption that it can't be as bad as TLJ. My expectations are rock-bottom, so I doubt Star Wars can actually disappoint me anymore.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON There have been enough flags from Disney that it'll be chock-full of fan service, to wrap up all nine core films. I'm certain it'll be spectacular on the first viewing, with laughs and engineered emotional payoff. The question will be whether it holds up on repeat viewings, or whether it's all just smoke and mirrors to make you feel good about the franchise again.

For example, I'm only really excited because of Palpatine and the rumour that we'll get to see Battle Droids and Hayden Christensen back as Anakin's ghost. Whatever happens to Rey, Kylo, Finn, Poe... yeah, if it was just them, I wouldn't care as much.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Like TFA?!

I'm curious enough to see for myself before I read/hear too much about it around release.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, exactly like The Force Awakens which, after having witnessed the insulting travesty of The Last Jedi, would be no bad thing.

The Force Awakens is inoffensive fluff. It's bad to hope for that, but this is where Disney have put us.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger That’s a great point; likely the pressure will be on to produce a satisfying first viewing, especially given TLJ’s poor reception. It’ll be like that super sweet chocolate cake for dessert— the first piece is great, but if you go back for seconds it just makes your stomach churn because it’s too rich.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @Th3solution @LN78
Nice to know we're all on pretty much the same page.

Shall we talk about Anakin's lightsaber activation button next? ;-p

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Is that some kind of euphemism I'm not familiar with?

In all seriousness, my teeth still clenched when I watched that new trailer and the montage comprised dozens of shots from the original trilogy, then a blink-and-you-miss-it six shots from the prequels, before dozens of shots from the sequel trilogy. I'm hoping Disney get over this whole "it can only be Star Wars if it has Stormtroopers, TIE Fighters and Han Solo in it" approach and start providing some originality with whatever they serve up next.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic