Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,221 to 2,240 of 8,866

JohnnyShoulder

Yeah Babadook is top, one of few genuinely scary films I've seen in recent years. Most films either rely too much on the LOUD NOISES SUDDENLY or loads of cgi blood.

If you want a true horror movie, try something like Batman & Robin. Sends tingles down my spine just thinking about it!

@KratosMD It has already been reccomended, but The House on Haunting Hill is a must watch if you are after something to spook you.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Noooooo, my eyes! It burns! It burns!

At least you can't see the nipples in that shot.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

kyleforrester87

Like most people I don't really find horror movies particularly scary, but I did get a bit creeped out by the newer Blair Witch movie. I've always loved the original and I thought the 2016 version was great!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

HUMPERDOO

@KratosMD Okay, I'm wading in here to stake my claim that The Thing is the greatest Horror-Sci-Fi of all time. It's never been bested. Everything about it is a masterpiece, from Scott Boden's practical effects, Carpenter and Morricone's score, brilliantly sustained tension, a career performance from Kurt Russell, and a narrative that can still keep you guessing after multiple viewings. Also, the single greatest final line of dialogue in any movie (with the possible exception of Casablanca).

A word of advice, though - avoid the 2011 follow-up/prequel at all costs.

Edited on by HUMPERDOO

HUMPERDOO

HUMPERDOO

@kyleforrester87 That's definitely true - I mean I wouldn't recommend Prince of Darkness to your average Joe, for instance. Not sure I agree The Thing has less mass appeal than Alien, though. I think they're more or less level on that regard. But yeah, if you haven't seen Alien that's a definite must as well.

HUMPERDOO

Ralizah

The Thing is an absolute masterpiece of practical effects. Still some of the most disgusting and unsettling body horror ever put to film. Even more than Cronenberg's rendition of The Fly, which is saying something.

@kyleforrester87 I've yet to meet a horror fan that didn't enjoy the original Halloween on some level. It's the perfect little horror movie: tense, scary, well-paced... why wouldn't someone like it? Sure, they might not care for the legacy of slashers that it spawned, but it's hard to argue against the effectiveness of that film.

Anyway, I'd say Aliens has more mass appeal than the original Alien, which is quite slow and methodical.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

FullbringIchigo

speaking of Horror films has anyone seen Plan 9 from Outer Space? it's a 1959 Sci-Fi Horror film by Ed Wood and it's so badly made but it's SO funny because of it

anyway it's about extraterrestrials who are seeking to stop humanity from creating a doomsday weapon that could destroy the universe. The aliens implement "Plan 9", a scheme to resurrect the Earth's dead, referred to as "ghouls". By causing chaos, the aliens hope the crisis will force humanity to listen to them. If not, the aliens will then destroy mankind with armies of the undead

it also has the honour of not only being the first ever "Worst Film" but also as the final film Bela Lugosi (Classic Dracula) was in before his death

it sounds dumb, it is dumb, it's poorly made and the acting is more wooden than the sets but it's a blast to watch

also it got a remake/parody released in 2015 called Plan 9 and it has James Rolfe AKA The Angry Video Game Nerd in it

Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@kyleforrester87 i love old, obscure movies and i love old Horror movies too, the old Universal ones are a personal favourite

and the old Hammer ones too, i could sit down and watch the old Christopher Lee Dracula films all day, classics

Ralizah

I'll use this opportunity to shill Kairo again. Possibly my favorite asian horror movie of all time. A brilliant look at how computer technology and human loneliness intersect. An unsettling, beautifully apocalyptic ghost story that no Western filmmaker has been able to touch when it comes to pure artistry.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

I'll just be here, ignoring all the pot-shots taken at my favourite Batman film on this page...

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

jacobia

@Fullbringlchigo I grew up on the old Hammer and Universal movies. The Abominable Snowman from 1957 is one of my favourites, it’s quite a thought provoking story.

Also, this wonderous gem from 1972, a more traditional horror tale that really spooked me as a kid.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet Awesome video, thanks for the tag!

If only my apartment were big enough for a chronological row of full-size batsuits...

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic