Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 2,201 to 2,220 of 8,865

Th3solution

@Ralizah Lol, “Captain Strange” 😂

But yes, speaking of miscast .... Portman was already weak in her role as Jane Foster, now she really strikes me as a poor FemThor. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt to the filmmakers but I share your trepidation.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

I never thought the original Dumbo was a great film, passable at best (Though "Pink Elephants On Parade" is certainly a visual spectacle) @Rudy_Manchego but after learning about the history behind it it's kinda sad

It's actually based off of a book at the time by a Helen Aberson-Mayer and her husband.

Apparently the publishing company sold the rights to Disney and she got a bit of money out of it from the sale to make it into a film.

But apparently she never wrote again, barely got any recognition from the film and the rights eventually defaulted to Disney or something

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That's funny, consider the antagonist of the Dumbo remake is basically an exploitative entertainer/businessman modeled after Walt Disney. I still have to wonder how nobody realized that the director was clearly giving Disney the middle finger in that movie.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

I haven't actually seen it @Ralizah but I can only imagine as Tim Burton (Dumbo Remake's director) had to make "The Nightmare Before Christmas" with them because he made the sketches at work while he was an animator or something and it was technically the studio's property

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

WanderingBullet

Kevin Feige confirmed that Blade is not part of Phase 4.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD I might give Cube another go, it must be 10-12 years since I saw it. It's not really my cup of tea in allot of respects, but I'm allot more into scifi and scifi horror than I was back then so maybe I'll enjoy those aspects of it more these days.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

FullbringIchigo

@WanderingBullet you know i'm excited for the upcoming stuff BUT i think Marvel should think about calling it a day with the MCU and go to individual character movies, it's getting almost as hard as the comics for newcomers to get into, many actors are reaching the point where they are too expensive to use, can't or don't want to do it anymore plus the whole Sony owning Spider-Man issue which is rearing it's head again

don't get me wrong i would love to see more interconnected movies BUT there is also franchise fatigue to take into account, i have seen many people online saying that Endgame was the end for them, that they have had enough, it's 23 films and 18 TV series in just 11 years, in contrast for example James Bond has only had 24 films and that started back in the 60's

i know for Disney the MCU films are a huge draw BUT i think it's starting to get to the point where they aint making them to make great movies but making them because they have to

seriously Phase 4 should be the LAST Phase before it starts to out stay it's welcome

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

WanderingBullet

@FullbringIchigo As a fan of the genre I'm not feeling the superhero fatigue, yet. As long as they continue to make good movies I'll continue watching them. Plus, I doubt Disney and Marvel are gonna stop anytime soon either with amount of money they're making from these movies. Regarding Bond, I don't think it's a fair comparison. Bond is just one character, with Marvel they have a huge array of characters to choose from.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Rudy_Manchego

@FullbringIchigo I would probably disagree a little on the fatigue point of view. I actually think that the MCU movies have, on the whole, gotten a little better and taken more risks. I think if they followed the same Avengers template, as in, a few films, crossover, a few films, crossover, people will get bored of the pattern. However with the TV shows and the types of new characteres, I think it will be interesting.

I think Thor Ragnarok set a good precedent of mixing characters up. I like that Doctor Strange 2 will have Scarlet Witch in it for example.

The genre as a whole does have to evolve but I think they are doing a good job. I am surprised that they didnt push Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 sooner. We won't see a sequel until 2022 which is some time. However, not necessarily a bad thing.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@WanderingBullet @Rudy_Manchego oh i don't think the fatigue has set in, i just think that they should end it before it starts setting it

or before they start doing gimmicky things

i do maintain that it's hard for new watchers to get into though, i was talking to a mate who has not watched he marvel films as he isn't a big movie person but he said he was interested UNTIL i told him how many there was

his exact words were, "23 and i would have to watch them all, well **** that"

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

WanderingBullet

@Rudy_Manchego @FullbringIchigo Dr. Strange 2's an interesting one. Not only is it a multiverse story but also a horror genre.

Never read any of their comics before and I'm intrigued by the characters from The Eternals. They have a very diverse cast. They also swapped the genders for two of the heroes. Looks like it could be interesting.
As well as Shang Chi, since I love the martial arts genre. Even though, I thought Ben Kingsley's fake version was hilarious we'll finally get to see the real Mandarin.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

FullbringIchigo

@WanderingBullet i don't agree with gender swapping characters in any medium especially when the comics already have a huge diverse cast they could use anyway

plus i also think it's disrespectful to the original vision of the creator, if they want more of a certain type of character then create a new character to fill that role otherwise just leave it be

there is only really one exception to this for me though and that's The Doctor, being an alien that can regenerate then it's to be expected that kind of change can happen

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

jacobia

@KratosMD Have you not watched The Thing? It’s from 1982, and I know you said that you don’t like the effects from older movies, but the practical effects in The Thing are a sight to behold....and it’s a sci-fi horror 👍👍👍

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

Ralizah

The Babadook isn't a run-of-the-mill horror movie about a scary monster. The monster is actually depression, and the young mother's struggle is actually with mental illness. Her keeping the Babadook locked up in her basement is an analogy for someone learning to cope with mental illness long term: even if it's not actively destroying her life, it's still there, in the basement, waiting, a constant presence in her life.

Best horror movie I've seen in the 21st century so far, although there's, admittedly, not a ton of competition. The new century hasn't been good for horror cinema.

Although, yeah, if the Final Destination films are the sort of thing you're looking for, then you wouldn't like The Babadook.

Edited on by Ralizah

kyleforrester87

@KratosMD to be fair it’s called a Drama/Thriller when you google it, which is probably more accurate. I’d say it could be called a horror movie though, like Midsommar

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 I see your google search and raise you a wikipedia entry, which lists it as a "horror film."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Babadook

@KratosMD The movie is frequently disturbing, features frightening imagery, explores some of the darker aspects of the human psyche, and, even if it's psychological in origin, features a central "monster" that terrorizes a vulnerable family. So I think it's fair to label it a "horror movie." Although I'm not too stuck on labels. The best art defies and even actively subverts genre expectations. I don't get the sense that the director would be too offended that you don't consider it to be a horror movie. And the same arguments could be applied to It: Chapter One, which I struggled to see as a horror film myself.

I think how scary you find The Babadook to be depends entirely on how closely you identify with the young mother's sense of helplessness and vulnerability.

It's a pity that there's not a lot on Netflix that I can really recommend to people, as other streaming services have poached a lot of the best films. I assume you've seen the classics, like Halloween, Psycho, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Suspiria, Night of the Living Dead, etc.? I believe you said you haven't seen Alien? If not, you should absolutely watch it whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I haven't watched it yet, but a Persian horror film called Under the Shadow has come highly recommended to me in the past, and that is actively available on Netflix.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

Watched the trailer for the new Top Gun & Wow! I'm not a huge fan of the original film or anything, but all the aircraft & flight scenes look phenomenal as they're opting for the real thing rather than CGI.

It seems like there has been a growing trend in recent years to use more practical effects & more subdued use of CGI, and I hope it's a trend that continues.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic