Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,781 to 1,800 of 8,866

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Totally agree, I just don't get this witch hunt mentality of modern society. One of the reasons I don't go on social media any more.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON @JohnnyShoulder The crazy thing is how society expects us to be perfect from the day we were born and never have made a mistake or said something in poor taste before. We all say and do things we regret. And like you say, (and like I’ve read Sammy say in reference to other gaming issues also that the internet has over-reacted to) — context is everything.
For instance, there’s the James Gunn issue where he tweeted out some offensive jokes like 10 ago that someone just recently brought up and then he ended up being fired from the Guardians of the Galaxy job for it. I mean, sure — what he tweeted was awful, but I’d surely cringe to see some of the idiotic things I said 10 years ago. I guess it’s all about whether you believe a person can change or correct life errors or not. Personally, I believe people are flawed, all of us, and I believe we can change and improve and shed our former character flaws and become new and better people. Maybe I’m naive, but I just think we can be too quick to judge sometimes. And it sounds like the Liam Neeson thing is much more innocent, where at least Gunn was saying things he intended to be disturbing and offensive for the purpose of shock-value, but Neeson was just taken out of context or whatever. But this issue of dissecting a person based on what the prevailing public opinion is of a hot topic, ignoring the person’s actual original intent of what they say — well, it’s just so frustrating to me.

Now, I would never condone insensitivity, but I fear where this is all going. We live in a world where every thing you say, even off the internet, has potential to be recorded and brought up later to be used against you and spun in a way that you may not have any control over. Not to mention societal norms and language change. What is appropriate to say even 10 years ago may not be appropriate now, but should we hold a guy to be living a 2019 standard in 2009, or heck in 1980? That’s not very fair. Now if a person is still making the same mistakes in 2019 that he was making in 2009, that’s a little bit different.

So like you say, it’s a point which discourages any participation in social media and why I like to be a hermit and just stay away from people in general.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

People should be measured by how they are now, not how they once we're.

I dropped out of University, that doesn't make me a failure for life. I've been disloyal and dishonest in the past, I have done stuff which I am ashamed of, which doesn't make me a bad person.

It's all fine as long as we are willing to acknowledge our mistakes and say sorry when necessary.

I think that goes for me, everyone on here, and probably also Liam Neeson.

Also, this is (to me) clearly a case of choosing to interpret someone in the worst way possible, which is something I notice a lot of people are doing. We should at least try as much as we can to see the best in others.

I know these are all clichés. But apparently they are not that needless to say.

Kidfried

Kidfried

Also, I totally stopped reading news from the UK and US, because so many of it is boring one-sided reporting. News written in a way so it fits with the target audience's already existing assumptions. It's gotten worse here in my country as well.

Kidfried

Ralizah

I can't imagine how thick the bubble around Liam Neeson's life must be for him not to immediately realize that saying the things he said, regardless of intent, would quickly lead to the media and outrage mobs trying to destroy his career.

He's old, white, heterosexual, and male, so he was never going to be given the benefit of the doubt, and I'm shocked, in this day and age of constant manufactured outrage, that he didn't realize this.

If you're anyone with any kind of power or place in American society: don't share more about yourself than is absolutely necessary (because there are thousands of people who will gleefully use that information to destroy you, if possible, and hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, of others who will go along with this treatment because they're terrified of being targeted next), don't touch anyone who you're not immediately related to (Vic Mignogna is currently learning this lesson the hard way), and don't use social media for anything other than making announcements related to your career (Roseanne and James Gunn already learned this lesson).

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

Kidfried wrote:

People should be measured by how they are now, not how they once were.

Untitled

Only in this knee-jerk, self-protectionist 21st Century does the headline "Man Admits to Being Horrified By His Own Racism" somehow translate into "Racist Man is Horrifically Racist".

Don't need to say anything further; you've all said it, way better than I could've.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

There's another clip out from the Justice League Black Suit Edition (fan edit) over on YouTube. Really nice work, I'm looking forward to the finished edit.

Worth checking out! find the editor on twitter, #blacksuitedition

Also, AB Director has put together plenty of JL edits in a similar vein; restored trailer clips, deleted clips, dialogue edits, colour palette shifts and use of Zimmer/Junkie XL's scores (as well the odd smattering of Icky Thump).

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

I was absolutely ready to hate this, but it looks pretty charming - and y'know, the guy was in Eastenders!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Gremio108

Some films I've watched over the last few days:

Nightcrawler - Finally got around to watching this, after meaning to see it for aaages. Very very dark, with some incredibly tense moments. Watching Jake Gyllenhaal and Riz Ahmed together (two of my favourite actors) was an absolute joy. Rene Russo is superb in it as well. It's an interesting film, which subverts cinematic expectations in a pretty fun way, such as the heroic music which tends to play when Gyllenahaal's character is doing some pretty abysmal stuff. Overall it was probably one of the best films I've seen in a while.

Velvet Buzzsaw - I made a beeline for this one after Nightcrawler (same director, plus Gyllanhaal and Russo return). It was absolutely barmy and way more uneven than Nightcrawler, but still worth watching. Gyllenhaal is amazing in it (I'm starting to sound like a Gyllenhaal fanboy here), and the rest of the cast are good too. The film is at its best when it's poking fun at the ludicrous self-importance of the art world. Not for everyone perhaps, but thank god for Netflix, because they seem to be the only ones making stuff like this at the moment.

The Lego Move 2 - Tonally different from the above films (thankfully), if you like the others you'll like this. Not quite up there with the mighty Lego Batman Movie for me (but only because that's one of my favourite films of the decade). The kids loved it and so did I. Personal highlight? Bruce Willis

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RR529

Alita: Battle Angel (theater) - Apparently this was helmed by the same creative team that made Avatar, so my brother (who is a major fan of that film) invited me to go see it with him (in 3D, to boot). Not sure how faithful it is to the source material (though apparently it's a bit of a passion project for James Cameron as a fan of the original, so I'm guessing it followed the manga closer than these things tend to), but just as a movie watching experience it's leagues above any other live action manga/game adaptation I've seen.

It's absolutely full of awesome cyborg on cyborg combat, with a richly detailed sci-fi world, and I thought the 3D was pretty fantastic. Alita herself is a fully CG character (made to look mostly realistic, just with slightly exaggerated facial features to hit a balance between realism and her original manga appearance) amongst a cast of mostly live-action actors, but it worked for me so much that I never really noticed while watching (maybe it was because she technically isn't human, and/or the handful of other CG cyborgs sprinkled in). My only real issue is that they built up a big bad that she wasn't able to confront by the film's end, setting up for a sequel we may never get due to how well manga adaptations tend to pan out. I know they probably can't fit the entirety of the manga's story into one movie without major pacing issues, but I at least wish they were more subtle about the big bad's presence in a way they could still set up for the sequel, while making the villain she does confront seem more meaningful.

Ant-Man & the Wasp (Netflix) - Not quite as fun as the first film, but still a good watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

Between seasons of American drama shows, my partner and I watched The Producers (the 2005 version, with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick). Well, I say "watched"... not sure you could call the permanent expression of horror etched onto my face anything so neutral. Although it reinforced my opinion that Nathan Lane is a genius.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nasty_hamster

KALofKRYPTON wrote:

I was absolutely ready to hate this, but it looks pretty charming - and y'know, the guy was in Eastenders!

I was really surprised when saw the trailer. The idea is original, but also strange.
And you're right. Though the main character behaves unfair, he also does that charming.

nasty_hamster

RogerRoger

Before they disappear from Netflix, I watched the two live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films. Despite showing me far too much of Megan Fox, they otherwise caught me by surprise when they turned out to be likeable, energetic popcorn flicks which were perfect for my "need to switch brain off and enjoy something" headspace. The turtles themselves looked fantastic and were well-realised, the plots were solid (if simple) and the action was all kinds of dizzying fun. I might even grab them on Blu-Ray someday.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah they are, shame Paramount are rebooting the films AGAIN as i would have loved a trilogy

lets hope they don't **** it up like they have the TV series with Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Beyond my brother liking the cartoon as a kid (so I kinda recognised names like Krang, Beebop, Rocksteady, Technodrome, etc.) I haven't ever really had an interest in TMNT so that probably contributed to my being caught off-guard by how much I enjoyed them.

There was a thread at the end which suggested a trilogy / third part, so I'm surprised that Paramount are rebooting so quickly. Oh well. Such is Hollywood nowadays.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i used to love it as a kid, i had the Toys and everything i remember being really upset once because i dropped my Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (that's what it was called back then in the UK) Blimp toy down the stairs and it popped
Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I'd be very surprised if any Turtle Blimps survived the 90's!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I don't mean to be disrespectful to a painful childhood memory, but you destroyed a blimp, so I can think of nothing else to say...

...except "Oh, the humanity!"

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah they was quite fragile

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger HOW COULD YOU!!

(goes and cries in the corner)

you meanie T_T

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic