Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,761 to 1,780 of 8,866

jacobia

@JohnnyShoulder My son and I watched it at the cinema. We loved every minute, and I especially liked the way Batman would demonstrate his stubbornness in allowing himself to share his ‘duty’ in an almost childlike petulance 🤣

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

KALofKRYPTON

Apparently Henry Cavill is in fact still Superman and apparently contracted for 4 more appearances.
Possibly:
-Shazam cameo(though that could fall under his previous contract).
-Supergirl cameo/larger supporting part
-Man of Steel 2
-Justice League 2

Affleck isn't officially out of contract as Batman either.

While I quite like this particular rumer, given how soundly WB butchered Justice League and treated Snyder, I'm not entirely sure I want to see what they produce next for Batman and Superman.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Great news about Cavill; hopefully we'll get a new standalone Superman film at some stage, more in-keeping with the measured tone of DC's recent success stories (Wonder Woman, Aquaman). I wouldn't call it Man of Steel 2, though, as we've already had that film; it was called Batman V Superman.

Also saw Patty Jenkins saying that she didn't want a second Justice League film, at least not before a contemporary Wonder Woman 3. She's delivered for DC so they'll likely listen to her going forward.

As much as I'd adore to see Batfleck return, there's nothing worse than contractually appearing in a film where the director wanted somebody else. Matt Reeves has stated multiple times that he wants a younger Batman, whilst his comments about Affleck have been diplomatic at best, so it's clear that he wants to go for something / somebody different. Batfleck was perfect under Snyder and would've been perfect if Affleck got to write and direct, as originally planned, but we've all seen what happens when he's just going through the motions (the Justice League reshoots).

If it were up to me, I'd get Matt Reeves to tweak his script to feature Dick Grayson taking on the cape and cowl, and then allow Affleck to write and direct his final appearance with one condition; Bruce Wayne has to die / retire at the end. Seamless.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
I doubt it would be called MoS2. It should just be called Superman, the film that should've come before BvS!

I liked Snyder's direction with the characters for the most part, not sure how well another director would translate - certainly not with the reactionary mandate that Whedon went in with anyway.

I like the idea that the films needn't tie together (as WB now suggests), but it once again seems incredibly reactionary; they jumped the gun on creating a shared universe then sack it off when they ruin it themselves 🙄

I like the Dick Grayson idea - could be like the Batman & Robin run with him and Damian from a few years back. That was pretty good.
Bruce needn't retire at the end as such, but we could flash forward to his final outing in the Beyond suit and introduce Terry. A Batman Beyond film would be hot as balls!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I'm not sure Batman V Superman would've worked if it had waited. There were too many key elements from Man of Steel that fed into Bruce's paranoia and the wider, frighteningly-accurate socio-philosophical reactions to Superman. If they'd have solved / addressed them in a sequel, there'd be no reason for Bruce to fight him and nothing for Lex Luthor to use in manipulating him.

Hopefully things have changed over at WB now. I think they've gotten a new brand manager or something, who came in too late to stop Justice League being mauled but has since instated the "slow, steady and specific" mandate going forward. Fingers crossed.

Not sure the mainstream would go for Batman Beyond. I wouldn't mind it, but I think there's a much better, more defined version of a contemporary Batman with a good few films left in him before we get that far. Plus these films aren't made for us nerds; they're made for the masses, who probably haven't ever read a comic book and are just looking for two hours of escapism. For that, you need to paint in broad strokes.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
I do quite like BvS for many reasons - but I'd rather the WB 'Batman makes money' trumpet hadn't sounded so quickly. The BvS narrative suffers for Bruce's motivations and the ease of Luthor's manipulation - no matter how damaged this Batman is, he shouldn't be pawn. The set up for the dark future (Justice League part 2) would have made better sense.

Man of Steel needed a sequel if for no other reason than to justify the portrayed mourning of Superman's sacrifice in BvS and JL.

A Man of Steel sequel could have better handled the socio-philosophical reactions to Superman in the first part and develop a lighter/hero persona for the character as he gains wider public acceptance. A plot involving Luthor and Metallo would have been perfect as a bridge to dial back the 'alien invasion' xenophobia and shine a light on Superman.

I think Johns is still in charge of the DC output, though I could be wrong. They've hit on the 'light & funny makes money' idea, so that's they way they'll try and go (until it fails) and try to ignore everything that wasn't that unless it's a specific money-spinner (Harley Quinn). Cynical I know, but likely.

Batman Beyond has nearly happened a couple of times I think. With the wider successes of the more sci-fi bent of the Marvel stuff - and depending on Wb actually maintaining what's gone before; I really think it could do well - especially with Affleck as grizzled old Beyond Bruce Wayne... Maybe Logan Lerman as Terry McGuinness.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I think the mourning of Superman squeaks by thanks to one of my favourite parts of Batman V Superman, namely the "Must there be a Superman?" montage showing various, gorgeous shots of Superman's great deeds alongside the social commentary and talking heads discussing his role in the world. Okay, so it perhaps feels like a trailer for a larger, grander heroic film, but it's there to provide context to how people reacted to Superman and were actually reacting to Superman in the moment. Things happen quickly in the modern world and maybe the outpouring of grief wouldn't have been so large and so immediate if he'd become "old hat" over a longer period.

That's not me saying that I disagree with your points and perspectives on what would've been cool to see, it's just me trying to understand and live with what we got (although the full-length version of Batman V Superman still remains one of my top five films of all time).

No need to defend your cynicism, though; this is Hollywood and WB we're talking about.

And you've sold me on Batman Beyond. Now I really wanna see that film!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Well, WB finally dropped the Bat-Hammer - kind of... nothing that wan't expected.

Also, I thought James Gunn's Suicide Squad film was a sequel - it's actually a 'reboot', of a 3 year old film.... and there in a nutshell is everything that's wrong with WB's DC output.

@Frigate Great film, great cast too. Lots of time for Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter.

Gremio108

Watched 'A Quiet Place' yesterday. I thought it was a good film, very tense in places. The whole situation seemed a bit far-fetched to me though. My main question is what do people do about breaking wind? I'm talking about one of those massive ones that catches you unawares at 5am when you're in that no-man's land between awake and asleep. Have people just figured out some way of holding in their farts?

It's good when a film makes you ponder the big questions in life.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Th3solution

@Gremio108 It’s Darwin’s survival of the fittest, man. Those of us who don’t break wind are the superior of the species and the flatulent simpletons are weeded out first.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

jacobia

@Th3solution But what about Darwin’s lesser known, but equally valid theory: survival of the fartiest?
On topic: A Quiet Place was a great movie.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, I saw. Another one of those "well, I hope it turns out alright" moments in life (and let's be honest, nothing can be worse than the first Suicide Squad flick).

@Gremio108 I've been trying to pitch soundproof underpants for years, but nobody wants to listen.

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger

@Gremio108 I've been trying to pitch soundproof underpants for years, but nobody wants to listen.

Surely that would be their selling point?

Thrillho

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger lets be honest we all know someone who would need them

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

Poor old Liam Neeson...

Hope this doesn't backfire on him too badly.

Th3solution

@Frigate Here, here! I agree. I don’t really keep up with news either, to the point that I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Apparently Neeson said something offensive. Maybe I’ll google it now that I’m curious, but on second thought maybe not. The court of public opinion is so ready to crucify someone for an unfortunate statement. I’m sure it sounds like he said something that would offend me, but I just have a problem with the witch-hunt mentality of the internet and the judgemental nature of people in general. I usually believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, because I hope they will do the same for me when I do stupid stuff. Again, this opinion is without knowing anything about Mr. Qui-Gon Jinn’s recent flub, but I prefer living in my bubble of ignorance.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Frigate It's a shame.

He offered an honest tale of some pretty ugly thoughts, feelings and actions driven by rage and impotence and his subsequent remorse and people want to string him up for it.

Sadly, refreshing honesty - rather than pretending that he was born an angel just doesn't cut it these days.

I grew up in a pretty poor area in the 80's and 90's in the UK that was mostly white. There were a few black families and even some of us mixed kids - and even then there was plenty of deep rooted racism (though by that time in the UK, most of it was overtly directed at Indians and Pakistanis); there were no burning crosses and the like, but push come to shove, in anger - race would became a target.

I honestly think that you'd be hard pressed to find someone white of Neeson's age who didn't have some similar sort of story where they could point to some unsavory racist thoughts. I know I can, and I'm nowhere near his age.

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution It shouldn't offend anyone in the context in which it was said. It was a terrible story about a horrible event to which he reacted badly.

His only real error was relating it truthfully.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic