Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 8,930

Ralizah

I didn't expect much from it, but Black Panther was definitely the best Marvel film I've seen in years.

But then, I find most Marvel films, with their sky beams, bloated casts, incoherent action scenes, and quippy dialogue to be mediocre at best.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RR529

Yeah, I enjoyed Black Panther quite a bit, but it's nomination for best picture (despite not having any noms for any other of the big awards such as screenplay, director, actor/actress, etc.) comes across as a "please don't start a hashtag movement against us" move. Heck, even though it got some technical noms (I think sound & costuming), it wasn't even nominated for visual effects.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

RR529 wrote:

comes across as a "please don't start a hashtag movement against us" move.

lol

I remember the way bloggers and "social critics" started piling on the moment a professional critic had the audacity to post a negative review of the film.

Even funnier was the reaction to Ghostbusters 2016. At the time of release, any criticism was dismissed as "misogyny" or some other nastiness, but, at some point, a lot of these same people began to quietly admit that the film wasn't actually very good, but that they couldn't admit it freely at the time because of the culture war implications.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

FullbringIchigo

@RR529 that's not surprising, the visual effects really pittered out at the end, the fight between the 2 "Panthers" looked almost like a PS2 game at times

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

JohnnyShoulder

Not sure how up to date this is, but apparently the Uncharted movie is still in the works as Tom Holland as a young Nathan Drake as part of a globe trotting family.... sigh.

And a Just Dance movie is being made, with the director of Peter Rabbit... double sigh.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder Urgh... I hoped that one dead. An Uncharted movie could work - but it really would need a cracking script to stand out. and a lead capable of a better American accent.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@JohnnyShoulder @KALofKRYPTON i don't understand why they make live action movies based on games, just make a CG movie and use the original voice cast, that way the characters we see are ACTUALLY the characters we love

i know Square got flack for Advent Children but at least that was actually Final Fantasy with the proper characters so it actually felt like a FF movie

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Trying to crest the wave...

The Uncharted problem is that the treasure hunting action adventure movie has been done a lot, and fairly well. So it has to be a really good effort to first make a great film, and something the baked in gamer audience will pay to see.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON @FullbringIchigo The short movie with Nathan Fillion is probably the best we are gonna get.

I don't know why they still bother. The best video game movies are the ones not actually based on an existing video game. Edge of Tomorrow springs to mind.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Gremio108

I watched Solo last night. Although some of the moments were a bit predictable, it was great fun. It reminded me of the feeling I got from the original trilogy. Everyone in it was good as well.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder Very true on Uncharted.

I thought Edge of Tomorrow was based on a book?

@Gremio108 I really enjoyed Solo too.

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Maybe but not a video game.

Yeah I thought Solo was a total blast to watch.

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder This sentence confused me.

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

The best video game movies are the ones not actually based on an existing video game. Edge of Tomorrow springs to mind.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON it was a Japanese Light Novel called "All you need is kill"

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON @JohnnyShoulder I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. I’m not sure why it didn’t receive much acclaim. And yeah, for some reason in my mind it is a “video game movie” even though it’s not based on a video game. The whole “Live. Die. Repeat.” with the respawning after dying on the battle field while fighting aliens in a mech suit, well it’s just a video game trope used in a movie, so I guess that’s why it feels like a video game movie even though it actually has no true video game origin. So I think that’s what he meant. And I think I remember when it came out that the buzz about it was as a video game type of movie, for some reason - maybe because FPS games were so big at the time and nearly synonymous with gaming. Fortunately now people realize that hardcore gamers include people who play more than just COD and Halo.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 Another who got the same feeling from Solo. Nice!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger Yep, great film. The more I think about it, the more I think it was one of the most outright enjoyable Star Wars films of the whole lot.

I've liked all the recent ones, it was only The Last Jedi that has let the side down a little. On the whole I think Disney have done well with the franchise.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Soz, I think I was rushing when I wrote that. @Th3solution has put it better than I ever could and has articulated the point I was trying to make perfectly.

JohnnyShoulder

The Lego Batman Movie. For me this is the best DC film since the Nolan films. Personally i could have less of Batman rapping and the first 10 mins is so frantic, when the pace suddenly slows down it took me a bit to adjust. I think that was done intentionally though so you felt as isolated as Batman. So there is a bit of a serious story it is telling, thankfully it is not shoe horned in at every opportunity. But this is such a fun movie to watch with so many jokes it is pretty impossible to catch em all in one viewing. A really strong cast who all perform well especially Michael Cera as Robin who does a brilliant job of giving a wide eyed enthusiasm to the character. If anyone like me held off watching the Lego film cos they were just for kids, give em a chance and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much fun they are to watch.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

jacobia

@RogerRoger Solo is a good addition to the Star Wars films. Missed it at the cinema, so I bought the blu-ray upon it’s release: pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyable.
Following the same situation, the next blu-ray I’ll be purchasing is Suspiria (2018), which I believe is out the end of this month.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic