Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,701 to 1,720 of 8,865

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I know it's the original model of car, I don't think anyone who had read Reitman's recent musings would expect any different.

But the teaser shows a run down/mothballed Ecto-1, with the Ecto-1 plate and first film logo - both of which were changed for Ghostbusters 2. It's just annoying. Sony clearly don't want to let the cash cow die and felt the sting of Feig's hubris with the shambolic reboot - this just feels like cynical baiting from some marketing person.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON that's because it is "look it's the original we swear this time" but you have to admit it worked

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I thought it fake at first. I'd read the Reitman thing a few hours before I saw it, and the wrong car stuff made me thing it wasn't legit.

It's a bit daft really considering production hasn't even started. Reminds me of Superman and Robocop posters in cinemas years ago for films that never ended up being made.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i don't think you have to worry this time, Sony have a lot of lost ground to get back after that reboot, it looked bad, the characters were stereotypical and one dimensional and it just wasn't funny

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo It is genuinely one of the worst films I never paid to see! Feig is an awful film maker though, it was never going to be a good film - let alone a good Ghostbusters film.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i don't think i laughed once during that film, of course humour is subjective so it would have appealed to some and of course there are those who liked it JUST because it had a female cast, which is actually as bad as those who hated it for the same reason, if your only draw is because the characters are the same gender as you then that's just as sexist as those who hate it because they wasn't their gender because what your saying that your gender is the only one that matters, same as if you complain that a character isn't the same race or sexuality as your are, regardless of what yours is your just saying "I'm this and that's all that matters and everyone should be like me"

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Me neither, that said - McCarthy is about as funny as a crumbling teeth dream most of the time. She occasionally has the benefit of a good script, but Feig's obsession with filming hours upon hours of ad-libs trying to find humour really shows in Ghostbusters. It's unfortunate that it just happened to be a reboot of genuinely sharp, witty and clever film.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON a better director at the helm and that could have been a decent film

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Possibly.
From what I recall, the script was stronger as originally written - but not by much. Probably not enough to save it from at best - mediocrity.

Ralizah

@Frigate You really ought to read the GN at some point. It blows the film out of the water, imo, and is one of the better comic series from the 1980s.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah I agree the graphic novel of Watchmen is something special. It's like the holy grail of comic books.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

@Frigate There's a whole lot the film does very right. Perfect fodder for Snyder's style.
Try out the Transmetropolitan series

@Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder
It's not a popular opinion, but I actually prefer the film these days.

Ralizah

@KALofKRYPTON The only thing I'll grant is that the way the film ends is a lot easier to take seriously in a modern context. Watchmen was a product of and commentary on the 1980s and the paranoia engendered by the Cold War, so it needed to be updated a bit for an adaptation.

With that said, there's a lot of complexity and subtext that's left out of the film version. I also detest the juvenile fixation on ultraviolence, which wasn't really a feature of the original story (the ridiculous blood spurts and bone snapping everywhere goes against the deconstructive approach to violence in the GN). And, most importantly, Rorschach's profoundly atheistic and existentialistic understanding of life was almost removed entirely from the film, and that philosophical baggage is incredibly important to understanding him as a character.

Also, and I can't really call this a flaw, but I hated it: the almost complete lack of any original music. Nearly all the music in the film is licensed, from what I remember. But an original score is a big part of a film's identity, so it ended up hurting the film as an experience for me.

It's not a terrible adaptation, though. Way more faithful to the comic than something like V For Vendetta, which barely even resembled the source material.

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah We've been here before...

Ralizah

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Unfortunately, my memory is terrible, so this same scenario probably plays out anytime someone mentions that they prefer the film version of Watchmen.

New take, then! The motion comic is the definitive Watchmen movie. It works surprisingly well.

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah It's definitely well done!

RogerRoger

Finally got around to seeing Solo: A Star Wars Story this evening.

I went into it fully aware of the so-called "controversy" surrounding its low box office, production woes and fan backlash. I also went into it as somebody who thinks Rogue One is the only genuinely decent Star Wars film released by Disney.

Well, not any more. Solo was brilliant. I had an absolute blast watching this two-hour slice of adventure, joyful and fun in a way Rogue One wasn't but couldn't be, and The Last Jedi wasn't but should've been. I thought I'd hate the re-casting of iconic characters, but I didn't. I thought it'd be a disjointed mess because of the change of directors, but it wasn't. At the very least, I thought I'd notice some of the heavy-handed messages fans complained about, but I must've missed them... or maybe they weren't even there, instead being unfortunate by-products of the backlash to The Last Jedi (which was written, directed and delivered by fists of ham).

The acting, action and pacing worked really well for me, even if the final "betrayal within a betrayal within a betrayal" fifteen minutes felt a teensy bit anti-climactic. But maybe that's okay, because this isn't a war film in need of a big final battle; rather it's an opportunistic character adventure about living between the cracks and being a bit of a mercenary, presented in an honest-yet-romantic way very in-keeping with Star Wars and the appeal of Han Solo (which, if I'm honest, I never really got before). There was still the unfortunate stench of the marketing department in parts (new Stormtroopers and new TIE Fighters we've never seen before and likely won't ever see again) but overall, it was light, breezy and more focused on delivering a good time than answering deep questions and performing deconstructive analysis. And isn't that the point of Star Wars?

A large part of the credit should go to John Williams and John Powell, who took what could've been quite a brooding film in parts and injected it with a sense of wonder with a non-stop soundtrack score which elevated each action sequence and MADE it feel like Star Wars. Perhaps it did a little too much of the heavy lifting, with sequences like the Kessel Run feeling like a mash-up of original trilogy samples, but I didn't actually mind this approach; it worked, and allowed me to surrender to my inner child much more easily. It was almost like they were speaking through the music, saying "hey, it's okay, this is Star Wars, you're allowed to be enjoying yourself" rather than being a brief bone thrown out as a cheap reminder (like it was in The Last Jedi, when the Falcon plunged beneath the surface of Crait). But importantly, the new themes had weight as well; in particular, the choral tribal music that accompanied Enfys Nest was a highlight (although outside of the score, the less said about the offensively-bad song being sung aboard Dryden Vos' yacht, the better).

There were only two things I didn't like. Firstly, being so jam-packed with references and nods to other Star Wars films made it great for nerds like me, but a couple of them missed the mark. The throwaway mention of Aurra Sing's fate was too dismissive to the legacy of The Clone Wars, especially when taken alongside the respectful inclusion of other, less important elements from that show, like the Pykes. Secondly, who did the lighting for this film?! The first two-thirds were just so dark and dreary; I know that, given it's a story about Han's lowly origins and with the whole thing taking place in the underworld, there might've been a thematic point, but you can still find ways to light those kinds of environments so that the audience can actually see what's going on. Truly a spectacle from the Brown Side of the Force.

Overall, however, those are such minor components of the bigger picture. Solo just made me feel like a kid again, like it's okay to be a Star Wars fan again, and that's no small achievement given the state of the sequel trilogy right now. Under normal circumstances, I'd be filled with hope for what's coming next.

What crushes that hope like the neck of an incompetent Imperial officer, however, is that Disney didn't realise that Solo's box office was the fault of The Last Jedi. We'll likely never get to see Qi'ra meet up with her master on Dathomir (what a perfect start to the Boba Fett movie that would've made, squaring up for a confrontation between two of the franchise's greatest villains) but we're probably still gonna get Rian Johnson's deconstructive, deliberately divisive trilogy.

Oh well. Right now, I'm thinking I wanna re-watch that monorail heist again. Then probably the Kessel Run. Heck, I might just watch the whole darn film again tomorrow.

And I haven't done that with a Star Wars film since I was twelve.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

kyleforrester87

Saw Glass last night. Really like Unbreakable and Split. I knew that Glass would be a bit poor based on the reviews, and unfortunately they were not wrong. Not a very good film at all.

Still, glad I wrapped up the trilogy and didn't leave it hanging.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 That's a shame, really enjoyed the previous films. Think I'll waiit until it comes on Blu-Ray/streaming.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic