Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 8,865

kyleforrester87

I watched "The Wrong House" last night, a 2013 straight to DVD horror movie with an interesting synopsis (folk visit a house, every time they try and leave the grounds they end up back at the entrance) but it was shocking in all the wrong ways. I expected as much to be fair, and it was a perfect way to round off a Saturday spent walking round in the rain to avoid the builders after minimal sleep the night before.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 Oh yeah, I remember that. But it was a game, and called "P.T."

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87

Rubbish. Kojima is a true visionary. Clearly The Patriots sent someone back in time to make this terrible indie horror film in a bid to destroy Kojima's reputation and discredit his revolutionary insights.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 I am a digitized lifeform born from the gradually accumulating memetic data produced by our computerized society. I seek to provide context and help direct the cultural evolution of humanity, which is ill-equipped to do so by its own means.

Err... I mean, I am a normal, everyday human. I like to post on video game websites for trivial entertainment purposes and to help fill the void left by my otherwise meaningless mortal existence. Or, as we biological homo sapiens say: 'It was just a prank, bro.'

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Wow.

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse.

Wow.

Best film of 2019. It's a visual tour-de-force, with some of the most creative and visually dynamic animation I've ever seen. For such a bizarre crossover, the narrative is surprisingly grounded and emotionally resonant, too. Also a great introduction to Miles Morales for those of us who don't really read superhero comics.

I didn't see it in 3D, but you should probably see it in 3D. It looks like it was filmed with 3D in mind.

Throb

Film - The House That Jack Built. Incredible! A non stop, unnerving, tense film. Be warned though, it is very, very harsh! Lars von Trier has made this film in such a wonderful way for such a horrible subject matter. Matt Dillon is superb in the main role with fantastic support from the rest of the cast too

Can't think of anything good to put here just yet, watch this space...

PSN: Headthrob

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet Liam Neeson and Emma Thompson will make me watch that film, because otherwise (based on everything else in the trailer) it'd be a hard pass.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger Yeah, the trailer was okay, nothing really special except for the part where they were removing parts of their car to make the weapons.lol

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

Watched Ready Player One last night. It was a fun watch with some outstanding set pieces, and picking out all the pop culture references was enjoyable. I'm glad I went in without knowing too much, as that is where most of the enjoyment comes from. I thought most if it was handled well, there is one scene in particular which could have gone horribly wrong if not handled in the right manner. Good luck in spotting them all without pausing and rewinding as there are over 100 of em. Unfortunately it is not enough to save this from flat character and story development, especially the real world stuff. Some of the avatar designs are really unispired and I really found it difficult to take the lead guy seriously. Together with some clunky dialogue and a lame script, this was a bit of a disappointment. I've not read the book, so your enjoyment may be lower as I've heard it pretty much dismantles it.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, as a fan of the book, your impressions are pretty spot on. I didn’t hate the movie, but it disappointed in far too many areas. Watching it with no prior knowledge of the story would be much better. But the book is a fun read for a gamer, if you enjoy reading.

Has anyone seen Aquaman yet? I am getting mixed feelings from the trailers I’ve seen. I haven’t read any reviews yet, and I’m sure to watch it no matter how poorly it reviews, just because ... well, I’m a nerdy video game playin’, sci-fi and fantasy lovin’, superhero world enthusiast — so it's a matter of ‘when’, not ‘if.’

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

Three films I've watched over the last week or so:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Loved this film. It would have been easy to make this into a sentimental underdog story, but it ended up being so much more. Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are superb. And I love Woody Harrelson, I wish he was my uncle.

Bird Box - the Netflix one with Sandra Bullock. Some good ideas in this. It kind of feels a bit B-movie at times, but a good B-movie. The contrast between the A-list actors and the supporting cast is stark, but if you're a sci-fi fan it's worth watching. There are some quite tense bits in it. It's very John Wyndham.

The Shape of Water - a fairytale for grown-ups. Not usually the sort of film I'd watch, but it has really stuck in my head. Everyone in it is brilliant. Michael Shannon is an actor I really like, and he's good in this.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

jacobia

@Th3solution I’ve not seen Aquaman yet. Getting Chrimbletude done and dusted first, so will go in the new year. And I’m really looking forward to watching it, as I think it’s going to be a fun thrill ride of a movie. Also, Jason Momoa seems to be super cool with plenty of likeable charisma (and dang, he’s hawt!!).
Have you heard of a film reviewer on YouTube called Chris Stuckmann? I really like him, as I really get a sense of his passion for the medium of film. Check out his review of Aquaman, as I think it sets a positive and grounded mindset for the movie....

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

Th3solution

@jacobia A very interesting review. Thanks for sharing. I haven’t watched Stuckmann’s reviews before, but I like his style. It’s a little bit just like a friend telling you why he liked or didn’t like something without getting too deep into the weeds of cinematic critique or academic analysis and explication. Yet he speaks of things intelligently with some amount of obvious film experience.

Based on the review I think I’ll like it. The whole “over the top Saturday morning cartoon / Anime” approach sounds like a lot of fun. But I wonder if it comes across as DC trying to chase and emulate Marvel’s more light-hearted approach to its cinematic universe. Even Marvel has fallen into the trap of making everything like Guardians of the Galaxy now, and the more grim and serious tone of the DCCU was refreshing in its own right. I can appreciate a mixture of serious and dark tones to offset the colorful and silly ones. There’s a place for both, and I just have a feeling the DC fans will probably be put off by Aquaman ‘s more spirited approach.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

jacobia

@Th3solution Yeah, I subscribe to Chris Stuckmann’s channel, and I agree with your appraisal of him. He’s very likeable, doesn’t come across as jerky know-it-all film snob in the slightest, is a huge Star Wars fan, and he indeed does have experience of creating his own moves: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5741914/
I’ve loved the darker tone of the DCEU movies as an opposite experience to the MCU, which I also really like. Loved Zack Snyder’s visual style (but he could do with a trusted, respected friend/colleague to tighten up his movies a bit).
The more recent MCU movies have tended to be a tad too comical for my tastes (still thoroughly enjoyable, though).
And I think you’re right about DC wanting (understandably!) a share of the superhero movie money tree. DC would probably have been better off not trying to bring all their big players out too quickly.....But it is what it is, and we’re both enjoying their output, so....🤷🏻‍♂️
Here’s to seeing Aquaman!! 🍻

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

JohnnyShoulder

@jacobia Stuckman is one of the few film critics I can relate to, as I find most get a bit stuffy for me. His vids analysing stuff like Drive and Only God Forgives come highly recommend.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic