Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 8,866

mookysam

Traditionally animated films are so wonderful, and it is such a shame that many young people are growing up without seeing them. Disney's '50's output is sublime, and their early 90's stuff is awesome too.

@RogerRoger People seem to either love or hate Moulin Rouge. I saw it three times in the cinema. Now, that's not as bad as those strange women who saw Titanic or 50 Shades of Grey 20 times and then divorced their husbands, but it is the most times I've seen something in the cinema. I did notice people walk out - figuring it was sensory overload - and very nearly considered doing the same thing myself. I was glad I stuck with it though.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Tjuz

I hesitantly went to Mile 22 in the cinema earlier this week. Turned out I was right to be hesitant. One of the worst movies I have ever seen. A true, solid 3/10. Avoid at all costs, unless you enjoy action movies with boring action and stuffed in, irrelevant personal storylines with a director who doesn't quite know what to do with it all! Some really, really obvious product placement too. I have never experienced product placement quite that obvious. Terrible script too. At least the actors try their best with what they're given, but you can't make gold out of poop.

Edited on by Tasuki

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

So Venom; thoroughly enjoyable for the most part. A good dozen or so inaccuracies to the comics - most of which could have been avoided while maintaining the isolated nature of the film - but even with that, it is a good watch.
Even Hardy isn't as terrible as I'd assumed he would be. I feel like the unexpected success of the film could inevitably lead to some sort of universe sharing sequel, which would actually be a bit of a shame. As a self contained comic character adaptation - it's absolutely fine.

Also watched Hereditary over the weekend. Great film, but another to add to the list of 'films miss -sold by their trailers'. It's an incredibly slow burn with minimal horror elements. Excellent performances all round, very nicely put together and more than a few brilliant scene transitions!

As Hereditary didn't really scratch the horror itch - I watched Event Horizon late last night to balance things out. Still an absolute favourite!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Gremio108

Finally got around to watching Downsizing. Enjoyed it very much and I liked how it went off in a slightly different direction to what I was expecting. Also, I could watch Christoph Waltz all day.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@mookysam Wow, congratulations for making it through Moulin Rouge three times! You can't pause and recover at a cinema. You're right, it's nowhere near as many as some folks (and heck, I saw The Phantom Menace on the big screen eight times) but mind if I ask why you saw it thrice?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@RogerRoger You mean you wish to know why I was crazy enough to see it three times? Just tagged along with various family members and I really liked it.

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter

RogerRoger

@mookysam I was simply curious; nothing inferred (you crazy person, you).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

jacobia

Any fans of found footage horror movies? I watched The Taking Of Deborah Logan earlier today. Phew, the earlier parts of the film were personally a bit hard to watch. The movie deals with a small team documenting a sweet elderly woman’s deterioration from Alzheimer’s disease. My mum and grandfather both suffered with either Alzheimer’s or dementia, and whilst (as far as I recall, as I wasn’t either’s primary caregiver) their plight was nowhere near as extreme as portrayed in this film, it still made me feel a bid sad.
But, one’s real life and one’s a story in a movie, so....I finished watching it, as it is a horror, and the story took an intriguingly spooky turn.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

jacobia

@KALofKRYPTON Ooo, I’m looking forward to watching Hereditary, as I like a good slow burn. Talking of which, have you seen The House Of The Devil? It’s currently on Shudder, and I personally think it’s awesome.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger what do you think of the rumour about Richard Madden bing the next 007?

Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Ralizah

First Man is a really stellar experience. Vivid cinematography, great direction, effective use of music, and a nicely restrained lead performance by Ryan Gosling. Does a great job communicating both the wonder and danger inherent in space travel and exploration. Also does a great job of situating Armstrong's quiet tale of of buried grief within the bigger narrative about the tense international rivalry with Russia and the amazing feats enabled by that rivalry. Movie of the year so far.

@KALofKRYPTON Pretty much every A24 horror film has a trailer that doesn't adequately reflect the contents of the film itself. In the case of Hereditary, however, that's likely at least partially misdirection, as the film itself is an exercise in misdirection and overturning audience expectations.

At least it didn't spawn as large a backlash as It Comes At Night did.

@jacobia Ever seen Cannibal Holocaust? It's arguably the originator of the found footage conceit in the horror movie genre.

@FullbringIchigo Looks like James Bond's frat boy cousin.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

jacobia

@Ralizah No, I haven’t. But, as you said, I have read that it’s pretty much regarded as the original found footage horror film. I’ve also read a while ago about the real animal killing in it, and that’s always put me off watching it, because I’m vegetarian 🥦
Do you like the found footage sub-genre? If so, please let me know which ones you like, plus any recommendations.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

Tjuz

@Ralizah Out of curiosity, have you seen A Star Is Born yet? I haven't seen First Man yet, although I would like to give it a shot later on for Claire Foy, but that's my movie of the year so far. Given, I haven't watched all that many and The Favourite might just unseat it!

Tjuz

Ralizah

@Tjuz I haven't. Not really a fan of celebrity-driven narratives. Seems like a lot of people (including you!) are enjoying it, though.

@jacobia Well, I'm not a vegetarian, and the needless animal violence still bothers me. It's why I won't purchase any home video versions of it. But it IS a surprisingly interesting and thoughtful film, even if it ends up culpable of the same sort of exploitation it sought to satirize.

I can't say I'm a fan of the found footage conceit, if only because so few films make good use of it, but, like anything else, it can be done well.

Anyway, if you're not averse to foreign language films, I recommend checking out Noroi (translates as "The Curse").

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Tjuz Product placement is often such an immersion breaker for me. Get Out is an example of that. The film is sponsored by Microsoft, so the actors use Bing to search, and have the Microsoft system on their phone. Yeah, right, no one uses those!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

mookysam

@RogerRoger My tastes can be a little eccentric. 😂

@FullbringIchigo I've only seen him in Game of Thrones, but I could maybe see him in the role. Idris Elba would be so good though.

Black Lives Matter

Tjuz

@Ralizah Fair enough. I do think ASIB is a fantastic personal drama beyond the celebrity narrative though, so I would still recommend it to you.

@Kidfried I'm not usually that bothered my product placement, but this was awful. They stuffed in a divorce storyline that ended up going nowhere and felt like it was only added for the product placement, which was for some app called Family Wizard of which they made sure to explain the ins and outs of in the movie and show the logo and app functions multiple times. It was a step above obvious. I haven't seen Get Out (I know, I know — I'm awful), but surely there must be one person on the planet who uses Bing! Probably some old lady who doesn't know how to set her default web search to Google instead of Bing.

Tjuz

FullbringIchigo

@mookysam i was hoping for Henry Cavill myself but i think this guy could work

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic