Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,401 to 1,420 of 8,930

jacobia

@Tjuz Oh, ok. I’m in the UK and was lucky enough to see it in London. It was a nice, big production....highly recommended if you get the chance.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

jacobia

@KALofKRYPTON You’re welcome, let me know if it’s your sort of film 👍

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

JohnnyShoulder

@jacobia Welcome to the forums! Thanks for the recommendation, I too like a good horror movie. I feel horror movies these either rely on gore. It is rare that I'm actually spooked film in recent times, the most recent one was The Quiet Place which I thought was very effective at what it set out to do

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tjuz

@jacobia In that case, guess I'll have to look into it! Thanks!

Tjuz

jacobia

@JohnnyShoulder Hi and thank you! I watched The Quiet Place at the cinema and loved it. I watched an Argentine movie on Shudder last night call Terrified. It’s been getting a lot of attention and hype. Now, I liked it and there’s definitely a good story in there somewhere, but as a whole experience, it felt somewhat lacking in cohesion for me. However, Terrified definitely has some genuinely creepy moments and a couple of great jump scares, bolstered by a great score. So if you do subscribe to Shudder, I’d certainly recommend it

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

jacobia

@WanderingBullet Yeah, The John Wick movies are great, looking forward to the 3rd one too. I really like Keanu Reeves, and he apparently works his butt off for his roles. As far as some of the films I’ve seen him in, I don’t think he’s a particularly good actor, but I think he’s perfect in John Wick. And he absolutely nailed it in The Matrix trilogy as Neo.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

snakeeater

Hey guys speaking of horror movies and seeing as Halloween is nearing, yesterday I saw the movie "Apostle". It just released yesterday on Netflix and usually I don't think much of Movies produced by Netflix but this one was actually pretty good. It's really creepy and it has some disturbing scenes in it. It was not as much scary as it was unsettling though. Can only recommend it if you are into the kind of horror movies that remind you of resident evil 4 or bloodborne namely a whole town going crazy.

snakeeater

jacobia

@snakeeater Oh yes indeed! I’ve been anticipating the release of Apostle ever since I read about it on Bloody-Disgusting.com. A new horror movie from Gareth Evans, the writer/director of The Raid 1 and 2, and the Safe Haven segment from V/H/S 2? And starring Dan Stevens (Legion) and Michael Sheen? Hell yes please!!! Will be watching Apostle in the next few days, and I can’t wait 😊

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

JohnnyShoulder

@jacobia @snakeeater Ah yes my mate in work was talking about that yesterday. Really liked The Raid 1 and 2 and after Legion I'm pretty much intrested in everything Dan Stevens does from now on.

Cheers for the heads up!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

snakeeater

@jacobia @JohnnyShoulder You guys have great taste in movies in my opinion . I've seen the Raid 1 and 2 and damn were they good. I didn't expect the guy directing those movies could also make a really decent horror movie but he pulled it off. If i might recommend you another great Dan Stevens movie.."The Guest" was awesome if you haven't seen it yet .

snakeeater

JohnnyShoulder

@snakeeater Yeah The Guest I thought was a cool, kooky movie and certainly not what I was expecting when I first heard of it. It gets a bit weird towards the end and I don't think it will be to everyone's tastes.

snakeeater

@JohnnyShoulder Fair enough it really is not for everyone. For me it was actually getting surprised by its plot and the soundtrack that made the movie so memorable. I was expecting a standard action flick and got that weird twist instead.

snakeeater

jacobia

@snakeeater Thanks! I’ve heard good things about The Guest, and funnily enough, again it’s from a separate director and writer involved in the V/H/S movies. I’ll have to check it out.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

JohnnyShoulder

@snakeeater It took my surprise too. Totally forgot about how good the soundtrack was, I'll have to listen to it on Spotify now.

RogerRoger

So, my partner and I watched The Greatest Showman last night and found it to be a solid, if a little uninspired, airbrushed vanity project for one of history's greatest jerks.

It made him turn to me and ask if I'd ever seen Moulin Rouge before, which I hadn't. What he didn't turn and ask was "Have you seen this terrifying Haribo-fuelled fever dream before?" and so I was totally unprepared for the relentless sensory bludgeoning of the first ten minutes alone. I had to pause it and walk around the house for a bit, just to escape having some kind of fit. A celebration of everything I find repugnant, edited by an eight-year-old.

The final ten minutes of the film (credits included) made it mostly worthwhile, but I could've watched them on YouTube without the deeply uncomfortable two hours beforehand.

Oh well. Meant we got to spend the morning watching cartoons, so swings and roundabouts!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger I fell asleep watching The Greatest Showman.

@KALofKRYPTON @Tjuz @WanderingBullet @jacobia
On the subject of Disney’s The Lion King, I rather like it as well, it’s probably a top 10 Disney movie, maybe top 20. But let’s be real, most of the Disney movies recycle the same basic tropes and plot devices anyways. And don’t get me wrong, I really like almost all Disney and Pixar movies, new and old. There is hardly a bad one in the bunch and I enjoy rewatching most of them even years later. Very high production value.
But if you think about it, can you name one major Disney or Pixar movie in which the protagonist actually has both parents alive? Almost all of them are centered around the main characters having lost a parent or spouse either before the movie (ex Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Finding Nemo, etc) or during (ex Lion King, Bambi, Up, Frozen etc). It’s hard to even think of a Disney movie that doesn’t have that the death of a parent or child as a central plot device.
It’s just an observation, not a criticism. I suppose they are going for the most emotionally impactful setting they can imagine, and so why not just kill off one of the main characters parents or spouse.
I apologize, these are the meaningless things my mind thinks about if I don’t occupy it playing video games.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

WanderingBullet

@jacobia "I don’t think he’s a particularly good actor..."

Agreed and yeah, I think his performances during action sequences in John Wick were very good.

@Th3solution Haha, you're right. Trying to think of my favourites and I think the top three are Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Mulan.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Th3solution

@WanderingBullet Yup, see? My theory is 3 for 3 on your favorites: Belle — mom is gone (I think died, iirc). Aladdin — no parents and Jasmine also has no mom (and I vaguely remember something about her having died). Mulan — her dad is dead (I think died in war, iirc). No Disney character has a family free of some form of tragic death.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic