Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 8,929

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoger He also did a halo jump in the latest Mission Impossible movie. His insurance company must be sweating bullets every time he does dangerous stunts.haha

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet The man's a machine. No fear. Along with Harrison Ford (who's physical acting is impeccable, if only on a smaller scale) he commands additional respect because it's one thing to act well on a soundstage with craft service, but quite another to do so whilst hanging off the side of an A400M during take-off.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Victor_Meldrew

@KALofKRYPTON I'd say none of the star trek films are good, all watchable and somewhat enjoyable, just not 'good' the only really crap one is the one where they save the whales, awful tripe.

Victor_Meldrew

JohnnyShoulder

I found this interesting...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-13-metal-gear-soli...

I did not know they were actually make a Metal Gear Solid movie. I remember the movie back in 2006 failing to gain much progress but was unaware that it had started back again in 2012.

The art work is quite cool. There is loads more content on the Twitter page mentioned in the article, and not just of art work but of gaming tat, tattoos etc.

I really like the art style from Yoji Shinkawa on the Metal Gear Solid games. So much so i might just make it my next framed picture to go up on my bedroom wall.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder That’s pretty awesome. I must say, I’m surprised that Kojima and Konami are playing nice together to forward the project. Maybe all the internet rumor about their animosity toward one another is overblown.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jaz007

@Th3solution Konami are probably terrified and Kojima probably doesn't want to see his baby slaughtered like almost every other video game that gets turned into a movie.

Jaz007

WanderingBullet

@JohnnyShoulder I love his art work as well. If your'e interested, there's a The Art of Metal Gear Solid I-IV coming out this August I believe.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Ah yeah saw that but didn't realise it wasn't released until August. Cheers.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet I second the thanks for the heads-up on the art book! I've got several of them already but didn't realise they were making a new one.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LieutenantFatman

Watched Dredd on Saturday. The 2012 one. So so good, very much enjoyed, another no nonsense dystopian future film, reminds me a bit of the excellence shown in Mad Max Fury Road.

LieutenantFatman

JohnnyShoulder

@kyleforrester87 Yeah that was an outstanding performance by Mcavoy. That ending took me by surprise. Cheers for the trailer!

Th3solution

I don’t see any reports on Marvel’s latest entry, so I guess I’ll give my impressions.
Ant Man and the Wasp was, in a word, disappointing. That’s not to say it wasn’t a decent movie, but expectations are high and I was hoping for something as clever as the first Ant Man (and it wasn’t) and a suitable step toward more integration into the overarching story of the MCU (and it didn’t). It’s sad when my favorite part of the movie was the post credits scene.
The high points- the action is decent, with the growing and shrinking mechanic put to good use. Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly perform well in their respective roles, as do Douglas and most of the support cast.
The low points- the humor was hit and miss, in my opinion. There were laugh out loud moments, but most of the attempts fell flat, which is surprising because the first Ant Man I found to be quite witty and most of the other Marvel movies have done well in the humor department (Guardians, Rangnarok, the Iron Mans, etc). But my biggest gripe was the story. The whole quantum physics thing just didn’t set wel with me. I’m no quantum astro physicist or an expert by any means, but I feel like I am a relatively informed person and I would like my movies to at least seem somewhat reasonable and believable. I am happy to just suspend my disbelief if a movie concept is presented like it is magic or unexplainable, but here the movie tries to make all these crazy things fit into deep discussions of fake scientific reasoning. The quantum physics, matter shifting, nether-realm visiting, ESP type communicating, and the use of Hank Pym’s inventions to do the things they do — it all just doesn’t quite work for me. Many, many major plot points revolve around Hank’s lab and scientific research and then yet as much science babble that they go on and on about, then in the next scene they will make a huge jump in logic where I was thinking that it didn’t make basic sense compared to the rest of the universe they had tried to build. And again, I can live with science fiction, as we see in all other franchises where logic and science is used just enough to make the concepts seem feasible. They all do it. But here it just felt a bit much. A lot of scientific talk, and yet not much that really made sense or explained how things work in a realistic and believable way.
Certainly I am overthinking it, and I probably need to watch it again.
But the first post credits extra scene was what I was hoping and waiting to see and has me properly excited for future movies. All the mumbo-jumbo in the rest of the movie about trying to find the mom, was basically forgettable.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jaz007

@Th3solution I saw Ant-Man and the Wasp too. I liked it, and it was interesting to see such a focus on the personal life of the hero and opposed to saving the day, but I also thought it lacked the humor of the first one, because while it still had its moments, it ditched some humor in favor of a more serious tone, which doesn't work as well for Ant-Man. Good movie, I'd still recommend it, but don't expect it to be better than the first.

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Jaz007 Yes, I agree it is definitely worth watching, especially for MCU fans. Did the quantum physics stuff put you off at all? Maybe I just overthink movies, but I had a hard time with concepts like the phase shifting enemy and how they tried to explain why she does that after that accident. And how exactly did the mom communicate and take over his mind? It was a strange leap there. Then they had some random part of the original suit that they had to use to triangulate her location in the quantum realm and it just didn’t make sense.
Plus I was hoping to see more about how Ant Man will be involved after the events of Infinity War. I had read online the theories that it was key that Ant Man was not present during the time when Thanos destroys half the world, because his ability to shrink into other dimensions was going to be a major piece of going into the Soul stone to save the Avengers that were disintegrated into another dimension. I know it’s all just internet theories, but I was expecting at least a slight clue as to how he might play a role in the next Avengers movie, and the end credit scene was the only thing that alluded to it

Edited on by Th3solution

WanderingBullet

What do you guys think of the new Aquaman and Shazam trailers? Personally, I thought they both looked quite good. For the first time, I'm actually really looking forward to a DCEU/Worlds of DC movie or in this case two movies.

There's also the Godzilla: King of the Monsters trailer.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet After watching Justice League I am done with the DCMU.

What does everyone think of James Gunn being fired by Disney of Guardians 3 for some almost 10 year old tweets? I don't condone what he said but something like this really grates with me, when someone intentionally trying to get people into trouble. That blogger (I've left his name off on purpose) sounds like a right menace to society.

Rudy_Manchego

@JohnnyShoulder I am annoyed by the whole Guardians thing and also the implications. Firstly, obviously not condoning those jokes - they were really bad. However, these actually surfaced during the filiming of Guardians 1 and James Gunn and Disney addressed them there and it went no further. However, after the Roseanne firing all this has taken a political aspect. Disney own the network that fired Roseanne and due to the left wing stance of James Gunn, bloggers have been digging, found these and basically held them up to Disney who then just washed their hands of James Gunn.

I'm not commentating on the politics of left and right because I think they can be as bad as each other, but I don't like the idea that someone said some very bad taste jokes 10 years ago, has not repeated it, was not in the employ of a company that had already worked with them for over 5 years (where they were well aware of the tweets) at the time but out of fear of a supposed backlash that company ruined their career. It's just hypocrisy to me.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic