Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,041 to 1,060 of 8,866

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007 It's probably more likely that the Leto movie will happen. Phoenix has been linked to the same project as DiCaprio, but I doubt that will ever see the light of day.

Hopefully Margot Robbie's Birds of Prey movie does well. Sounds like a great take and will hopefully feature Leto's Joker too. They should stick with Leto's Joker and just move forward with recasting Batman for the solo film. Jake Gyllenhaal could work as a younger version of Affleck's Batman, and Leto would be a brilliant Joker to see in the Death in the Family story.

@WanderingBullet WB has unfortunately been mostly obsessed with chasing the 'Avengers money' for last half decade, and doing so as quickly as possible.

Man of Steel could have been a great jump off point for the DCEU - but it really should have followed with a proper Superman film rather than BvS. Wonder Woman was great (apart from the depiction of Ares). Justice League is mostly just a shame.

I worry that The Flash film will permanently stall until they see how Aquaman performs. I'm not a huge fan of Ezra as Barry, or the costuming and effects direction. - but a Flashpoint film could be just the ticket to get everyone back on board. You can include all of the mainline cast, a new Batman and of course Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Flashpoint Batman, which would be just wonderful.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

LieutenantFatman

@KALofKRYPTON
Hey, watched Star Trek 6 last night with my wife and we both agreed it was the best film, great fun. Thanks matey.

LieutenantFatman

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet Scratch that! Just read the news that the Phoenix movie has the green light.

I couldn't be less interested in a project if I'm honest.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@LieutenantFatman No worries pal, I do love The Undiscovered Country.

If you're moving on to Generations (a pretty weak film if you analyse it, but I do like it), keep your eyes peeled for some TUC footage

WanderingBullet

@KALofKRYPTON You're right about WB chasing Marvel's/Disney money. Marvel took their time in developing their characters before assembling them into a team movie. DC just introduced their characters via CCTV footages.

I read a few days ago that the Birds of Prey movie will only start filming in early 2019. Is Affleck still attached to reprise his role as Batman? I think he's hesitant now because both BvS and JL were disappointing movies.

I thought Ezra Miller was okay as the Flash. My main issue was that he ran funny in that movie.lol

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

KALofKRYPTON

@WanderingBullet They could have gone straight in with a Justice League film based on the New 52 Justice League comic rather than world build first. that could've made a great film and WB wouldn't be so much on the back foot or throwing things out in a rush to try and make something stick.
WB are sadly home to the worst of reactionary exec's with very little vision beyond might make them quick $$$, especially when it comes to the DC movies.

Affleck is so done with Batman it hurts. You could see it during the press tours for BvS. He hated putting on the muscle and keeping in shape.
It's a shame too. He totally phones it in for most of Justice League, but he was great in BvS. It would have been nice to see him helm a solo outing.

Yep, the weird skating and arm flinging motion is horrible and silly - I'm not keen on annoying, comic releif Barry either.
The TV show has really nailed the Flash effects work

Jaz007

@KALofKRYPTON The reason I brought it up is because it just got reconfirmed yesterday.... and the Leto movie got confirmed two months ago. I feel like some viewers will be very confused. And I know it the Joker, but I think we get enough superhero movies as is. I hope your right about it seeing the last guy of day though.

Jaz007

KALofKRYPTON

@Jaz007 I don't think they will (get confused, I mean).

WB often thinks along the same lines, and it's just wrong really. It's not hard for the average person to understand that there are two films featuring different portrayals of the same character.

They use the excuse all the time while they stunt their TV output by saying that 'people would get confused' over having a movie and a TV version of something.
It's only because of how well the Berlanti shows turned out that we have any consistently good DC character representations on screen at all. Yet even with how good they are, how many characters they've been allowed to use, they're still not allowed to say 'Batman'. It's ridiculous.

JohnnyShoulder

WB kinda lost me when they weren't even allowed to call Superman that in Man of Steel.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder ...but they do? They even make a sweet little gag about it (a gag in a Snyder film, no less) which helps explain why it's such a goofy name. They're at C&C and a subordinate gives a status report about "Superman" and Colonel Hardy does a double-take (he maybe even repeats the name; it's been a while) and the subordinate says "Uh... yeah, that's... that's what they're calling him." Made me grin from ear to ear.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

My partner and I have inadvertantly fallen into a pattern of sharing some of our favourite films from our formative teenage years. This weekend just gone, he introduced me to three I'd never seen before.

Four Weddings and a Funeral and Sliding Doors were things I could've easily lived the rest of my life without seeing, but in between them he genuinely surprised me with Arlington Road. I'd never heard of it before, and mistakenly thought it was another nonsense rom-com; after watching Hugh Grant struggle to get a sentence out for two hours, I wasn't expecting great shakes... but boy howdy, what a film. The opening was a real shocker, and then it settled in to a creeping, foreboding pressure-cooker of a thing. The final fifteen minutes were such a crescendo, such an incredible pay-off, and such a relentless kick in the balls.

Unfortunately, because of the structure of the narrative, it's one of those "watch once" films; I asked my partner what it was like watching it again with me and he admitted that he was watching my reactions more than anything else, because he didn't need to see it again (and he'd seen it on release in 1999). I was on the edge of my seat; I know that sounds like a cliché but no, really, I was leaning forward and sitting right on the edge of my seat by the end.

So, that's one out of three, then. Next weekend, it's my turn and, since we watched John Hannah being all charming and deep in the rom-coms, I'm subjecting him to The Mummy trilogy (the good Brendan Fraser ones, not the shallow Tom Cruise vehicle).

He's gonna hate them.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger The Mummy films are awesome, if Universal wanted to create a Dark Universe of Monster Movies they should have just used them as the start and as they are set in the 30's-50's then you don't have to even bring back any of the cast

in fact if they had any sense they would retcon them into the Dark Universe because after all it was a different Mummy AND the Gold Book was also in the new film (as an easter egg yes but still it's a link that could be exploited)

on a side note the Tom Cruise film wasn't terrible, it's watchable but it's not great either

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Agreed. I think I actually let out a small groan of disappointment when I saw the Book of the Dead in the new one, because it just reminded me of how much fun I could be having watching the other films.

You're right, though; the Tom Cruise film wasn't the worst thing ever (it was very Uncharted in parts, actually) but it lacked the spark and chemistry that made the others so much ridiculous fun. I'll always defend Cruise's acting ability (I've yet to see him just show up for a paycheque, and I'm really looking forward to Mission: Impossible Fallout because that's his definitive role, and one heck of a series) so it was a shame to see him giving it 100% amidst such mediocrity.

It was the first (and to date, only) film I've seen at the IMAX Greenwich, so at least it was a decent experience on a more visceral level. Some of the action was really decent.

Hated the spider bit, though.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i find it's a pretty decent "popcorn" flick, something you can put on to kill a few hours and as for Mission Impossible, yeah i'm looking forward to the new one too and it is a good series but i do wonder if they are maybe reaching the end, i can't see many more after this one being made

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder As @RogerRoger points out, they do - but it completely makes sense that it's not used much and follows the standard comic convention that Lois names him in the press and it sticks.

KALofKRYPTON

Interesting news: Neil Blomkamp is helming a RoboCop sequel!

I have mixed feelings. It's a soft sequel to the original film based on Numier and Miner's original sequel script (which is really, really awful) that is being rewritten by a guy who's writing and directing credits are pretty thin on the ground.

I think Blomkamp is a great choice to helm a RoboCop movie, but I also wish that they'd just leave it alone.

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger Ouch of course you guys are correct. Sorry for get my facts mixed up and thanks for correcting me. Shows how long since I've watched the film lol.

In really do wish they would stop making sequels or remaking films that I grew up with. Very rarely they improve on the originals imo.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I dunno; despite his advancing years, Tom Cruise seems to be doing bigger and bigger stunts each time. I reckon he'll have a few more Mission: Impossible films in him, if not right away then certainly a swansong down the line.

Apparently, in this latest one, there's something really spectacular involving a helicopter and some cargo dangling beneath it, flying over some mountains, and many stunt professionals said that it couldn't be done, even by stunt guys... but he still did. Of course, then he went and broke his ankle jumping at a short wall, but that happens. The scripts are well-paced and neat, if unchallenging, but they've really nailed the "compelling cast + insane spectacle" formula that made Bond so enduring. As long as they can keep going, I'll keep watching.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder No worries (although now I'm left curious as to what your excuse is)!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder I know... I wouldn't mind so much if there were actually no new ideas out there, or at least unexploited literature and characters etc.

It's not even as if being a franchise or known commodity is a guarantee of financial (never mind creative) success. RoboCop, Ghostbusters, TMNT, The Mummy, Conan...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic