Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 841 to 860 of 10,056

Tasuki

Yep with that said I think that will be all for the great controller debate of '18. This is just a case of you are going to believe what you want to believe.

So today it was 108 where I live. I hate this kind of weather, it just makes it that you want do nothing but lounge around.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Kidfried

So, yesterday I saw something really special. I went to the live performance of Dear Esther, the indie game by Chinese Room. The game was played live in front of an audience from start to finish on a big screen.

However, the sound of the game was pretty much muted and played live. The musicians that recorded the soundtrack were all there and playing along to what was happening in the video game. There was also someone on a laptop providing special effects. It sounded exactly like the soundtrack, but it was way more engaging this way of course.

The voice actor of the main character stood at the center of the stage and narrated the story. Truly brilliant.

I know there was quite an extensive tour of this project throughout the UK last fall, did anyone see it?

Kidfried

Rudy_Manchego

@Kidfried I heard about it but it wasn't anywhere near me. That is amazing and I am incredibly jealous.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Th3solution

@Kidfried Wow, that is really interesting. I didn’t even know such a project existed.
I guess it’s the equivalent of going to see a favorite musical artist or band live in concert. It’s a better experience hearing them perform live. Very cool.
I haven’t played Dear Esther, but on a whim I decided to try Everybody’s Gone to Rapture this weekend and although I’m only about an hour into it, I’m impressed with Chinese Room so far. Very polished presentation.
With a name like “Chinese Room” I would have thought the developer was out of Asia, but apparently they must be a British company, right? Those crazy British people are always thinking up these cool ideas. 😉

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

@Kidfried That sounds pretty cool! Where did you go to see it?

Octane

Kidfried

@Octane It was in Amsterdam, which is about 2.5 hours from where I live (link).

@Th3solution From what I heard, this project was about the first time a video game was played live in front of an audience with live music and voice acting. A lot of that is due to the fact that the game can be completed within 1.5 hours, though. But I would love to see more stuff like this.

It was kind of alienating to see a gamer sit on stage next to an orchestra, in a positive way of course! And it was great to experience a whole game together with such a large audience, a stark contrast with sitting on the sofa on my own.

@Rudy_Manchego Who knows what the future holds!

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Add another "wow, that's awesome and I'm jealous" to the pile! I've heard of such things for films (there was a Star Trek concert that I attended which showed specific scenes from the shows with the music muted, and an orchestra played the score live) but never for a game, and never with the SFX and voice acting included. Incredible! Here's hoping they do more, elsewhere around the world, pretty soon!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@Kidfried That's about an hour from where I live!

I didn't know they have those kinds of concerts over here. Would love to attend something like a God of War concert.

Octane

Rudy_Manchego

@Kidfried Hopefully more Jessica Curry concerts!

@Th3solution Alas the Chinese Room were a British company but they effectively went under earlier this year and laid off all their development team citing lack of investment in their new projects. To date, their games are Dear Esther, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and a Google VR game called So Let Us Melt. Rapture is probably my favourite game of this gen.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

KALofKRYPTON

@Rudy_Manchego Speaking of, I never did get around to EGTTR.

That could actually be pretty playable for me at the moment!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON ...Rapture was free on PS Plus about a year or so ago. I’ve had it in my backlog and kept meaning to play it and was in the mood this weekend. I think I’m going to like it. I’m a sucker for a good story and pretty graphics. I’ve never been to England, but playing it feels like you’re walking through a quaint English rural community.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution Same - I remember watching a few bits and bobs about it pre-release.
It is very Shropshire village (I live relatively nearby and spent quite a lot of time in the area as a kid). Quaint probably isn't the right word, though I guess the perception of that is rather different for non-Brits.

I'm wondering whether they put Stiperstones in there. Loved exploring the place as a kid!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah, as far as I’m concerned if it doesn’t have traffic lights, skyscrapers, neon signs and billboards - then it’s “quaint.” 😆
And it there’s still phone booths (which there is in the game) then it’s downright charming.

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution That's a phone 'box'

Don't get me wrong, most of Shropshire is lovely! There's usually a decent pub about, which to be honest - is all most of us need.

Rudy_Manchego

Random question but bear with me guys - I'm looking for suggestions of favourite quirks, imagery, gameplay from the Metal Gear Solid series. I'm writing a faux documentary on Hideo Kojima and I've got a lot covered from the Konami fallout but it would be great to throw in some MGS related jokes. I've played a few but I'm not overly familiar with all the plots etc.

Kind of looking for common plot points, quirks of the gameplay that people like or dislike, most crazy moments that might be good of exploiting for a quick joke.

mookysam

@Rudy_Manchego Gotta include naked cartwheeling Raiden.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam Ha perfect - going to google that. Will assume it is based on a real life experience from Kojima's life!.

RogerRoger

@Rudy_Manchego Naked cartwheeling Raiden aside (good call from @mookysam there), there are running gags or lines throughout the series that fans will go nuts for, including "Kept you waiting, huh?" and "You're pretty good!" so have a peek on YouTube for the scenes which include those moments, so that you can use the lines in context.

The cardboard box is a neverending source of humour, and a box with feet sticking out in mid-sprint is instantly recognisable and yet probably not trademarked in any major way (how can it be?).

Also, it hasn't gone unnoticed that Snake is quite a reactionary fellow who'll notice things aloud and / or repeat anything said to him as a question. So, for example, if somebody says "Snake, here's an apple!" he'll step forward slightly, grab it and growl "An apple?" whilst looking it over. It's quite a common thing in translated material and / or exposition-heavy writing (because it then allows somebody to explain exactly what an apple is and why they're giving it to him) but it became quite the running gag across the Metal Gear saga, probably because all the storylines rely heavily on exposition. I've seen artwork and compilations of 'Snake Repeats Things with Emphasis' and I think Mr. Kojima has admitted to playing up to it at times.

I mean, in the PSone game alone, most of Snake's dialogue is from him literally walking up to things and naming them aloud. "A surveillance camera?" "A Hind-D?" "Soliton Radar?" "Genome soldiers?" "Alaskan field mice?" And so on.

EDIT: Found a couple compilation videos for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ZCk1o_Mj4 covers "Kept you waiting, huh?" and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0czSV6fyXg is "You're pretty good!"

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaake!

I think that is how it goes anyway. You get that when you die in the ps1 game.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic