Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 781 to 800 of 10,076

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Ah, now that sounds better. I'm not completely clued-up on the behind-the-scenes stories, and the press release made it sound like he'd single-handedly created Discovery. If there's been recent turmoil, I'm not surprised they're trying to steady the starship with such wording.

I'll still be watching Discovery but I'd be more interested in new projects, including animation (been recently watching The Clone Wars and something similar could be an excellent, more practical and much more cost-effective way of bringing back classic spinoff characters who are perhaps too old for their uniforms, in a post-Nemesis adventure or something).

Thanks for the reassurance!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you know the Kelvinverse would be perfect for a animated series, think about it they could expand the universe and characters in a way you just can't do in a film

although i'm hoping one of these projects is a Post Nemesis/Countdown series, i wanna see what happens after the destruction of Romulus

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo There's fertile narrative ground there, for sure. It wouldn't matter that Brent Spiner has aged beyond being able to convincingly play Captain Data if they make him CGI; he can still do the voice perfectly.

Although I'm one of those freaks who didn't mind the visual discrepancy in "These Are The Voyages..." (ENT) when Frakes and Sirtis reprised their role a decade later, yet weren't supposed to have aged. I was just so jazzed about that episode. It's still a personal favourite.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

kyleforrester87

I finished today something I've been trying to get a line drawn under for 2 months. Various parties, many of them letting me down. Won't go into detail coz it's boring work stuff, and honestly it wasn't taking up a huge amount of my time, just dragging on and threatening to keep me awake. But damn does it feel good to get that off my back.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Release.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

BAMozzy

So it seems that the main reason that Sony is 'anti-crossplay' is that they don't want you buying things on other platforms and playing them on Sony - whether that's the game, micro-transactional content or DLC. In other words, they want you to spend money in their store and only their store - not buy stuff on Switch/Xbox/PC and have that all on your PS4 because your account is 'linked'. That explains why you have to have a completely 'new' account for Fortnite if you already have one on PS4.

Not to say they don't have other reasons - like 'protecting' its customers from playing with others. They can't exactly 'ban' players on other platforms for not playing nicely. Its a bit like an overbearing parent keeping their 'kids' inside to only play with their brothers/sisters.

It doesn't bother me either way. I have both an Xbox and Playstation so I can play games as I want. If I wanted to play Fortnite online for example, then I can choose to play in a more enclosed system or more open environment. I can see both sides of the argument but cross-play can improve the experience - more people in lobbies, better ping and more chance to find matches in less popular modes - especially long term. If you only have 10000players online on PS4 but 50000 if you added up all players across all systems, you have a better chance of being in lobbies with local people - not a mix of US, UK, rest of EU, Aus, Asia etc...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Haruki_NLI

Wow. Sony never ceases to stop amazing me.

Went to stream Sly 1 on my PS3 via the Trilogy. Weirdly...the Trilogy lets you use the DS4 for navigation but once you load a game....nope. has to be a DS3.

So I get my DS3. Plug it in....nothing. Things dead and only 3 to 4 years old. Same thing happened to my original one.

First the wireless dies, then the controller becomes a paperweight.

So now I need to shop for a mercfiully cheap PS3 controller. Why is the DS4 compatible with the Trilogy until you pick a game? Thats dumb.

Second PS3 controller to die this way in 7 years too.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Tasuki

@Knuckles-Fajita Sony's controllers have always been junk. My original SNES controllers from the 1990s still works just fine. My Genesis, N64 all work just fine too. My PS1, PS2 and PS4 I have replaced numerous times. Heck I am on my 4th PS4 controller.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Haruki_NLI

@Tasuki It's such a random way for a controller to die. Loses wireless and then all charge capabilities. My Wiimotes still work fine. By Wii U Gamepad is fine. 360 controllers are fine. Gamecube controller...fine!

The moment it's a Sony controller? Nope. Analog sticks lock up, shoulder buttons break, THIS happens....I even have working Mega Drive controllers for god's sake and those are older than I am!

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki maybe it's how you use them because i have NEVER had to replace a sony controller but have had at least 4 XB360 ones and 2 XB1 controllers

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @Tasuki @Knuckles-Fajita
Still on my launch DS4s. I do alternate them per charge for even wear. But they're in pretty good condition.
I know there was a big thing regarding rubber on thumbsticks too. Mine are fine, as are everyone's I know IRL.
That said, I still have a couple of early DS3s, a launch Sixaxis - several DS2s. Of all of them, the 'X' button on one of the DS2s needs a lot more pressure than the other buttons to work, but it does work.

In fairness, the only thing there really is to go wrong with a MegaDrive controller is carbon loss from wear on the contacts. Perhaps perishing rubber by now. But not much else in there.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Haruki_NLI

@Tasuki There's the Pro Controllers but....er....no thanks.

@KALofKRYPTON I just have bad luck ;p

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @Tasuki @Knuckles-Fajita i once had a Master System D-Pad pop out while playing as for Nintendo, never had a issue same as PlayStation and the OG XBOX but with the 360 my first developed a fault with the analog stick so it keep making everything go to the left, my one with the transforming D-Pad well the D-Pad just came off my 3rd the face buttons just stopped working and my 4th just stopped powering on regardless of how i tried to power it

as for the XB1 on my original the triggers stopped working but my current one is going well (so far anyway)

i think it's all down to how you use them and luck that you got one from a good batch

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo SNES shoulder buttons didn't do all that well after being used so prolifically in Street Fighter, but they's usually just stick a bit and be OK so long as you took them apart and kept it all clean.

urgh... that Master System pad...

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

BAMozzy

In terms of controllers, my XB360/DS3 controllers actually lasted better from general wear and tear. I do play a LOT of games where you click the Left thumbstick and push forward to run - typical arrangement I know. On the current Gen controllers, these seem to wear out much quicker and the actual thumbstick which is just pushed onto the controller is the biggest complaint I have with the DS4. The hole seems to deep on the thumbstick or the 'rod' that comes up from the switch is not long enough and therefore the thumbstick drops a mm or two which can affect the running. Its happened on EVERY DS4 I have - you can check yours yourself by pulling up on the thumbstick and see if it pops up a bit. Its this little drop that really can affect the running - some controllers seem less affected as in they have dropped but doesn't seem to affect the running performance.

The big issue I had with the DS3 though was battery charge and how the rechargeable batteries deteriorate over time/usage. I have 2 or 3 that don't hold their charge anymore or don't last very long at all after a full charge. They are effectively useless and nothing more than scrap - unless of course you use them as wired controllers or take them apart and replace the battery - not that I have done either of these but I don't really play on my PS3 now. Its why I hate built in battery packs as they are only good for a limited amount of charges and deteriorate over time too. I would MUCH prefer Sony to adopt the MS method - even if its not with normal AA or AAA batteries but with a removable and rechargeable battery pack. That way if the 'battery' does die and/or won't charge, you can just replace it. You can also have a 'spare' fully charged and easy to swap in when the charge runs out - its better than finding your recharge cable and having to play wired...

Anyway, going back to the controllers and their build quality...

Both the 360 and DS3 lasted well and felt more 'solid' too - thicker plastic? better joins? They lasted me a lot longer too. I wouldn't say they lasted 'indefinitely' for me as you can see a 'groove' worn into the thumbstick shaft and at least 3/4 of my controllers have got a bit 'loose' with the odd one that the character moves on its own but they lasted quite a long time. Not as long as the 8/16bit era but then they only had buttons - not analogue sticks with push switches. I had a few N64 controllers where the thumbsticks are 'broken'.

However, this gen my DS4s (both old and new versions inc the latest) feel cheaper in build quality (maybe because of the extra expense of lightbars, speaker and touch-pad) and wear out much quicker too. The V1 Xbox controllers do feel slightly better built and last a bit longer BUT still didn't last a long time - certainly not compared to last gen. I can't say if the latter versions of the XB1 controllers last better because since they launched the Elite, I haven't needed to buy one. The Elite has lasted me nearly 3yrs (3yrs in October) and its still just as good as new - well except the rubber grip which has started to peel away but all the thumbsticks, the triggers etc all feel like new - no play, no wear etc and that's with thousands and thousands of hours in games like Destiny, CoD, BF, TF etc where you are 'clicking' to run and doing that a LOT.

My 'PS4 Pro' controller lasted me 2 months before it started to play up - although that was with daily use and with a LOT of hours per day so for others that may well be a years worth. But that also shows the difference between a well built controller and the 'standard' controllers of this gen. I can't be much 'heavier' on this gen than I was last gen and it shows that if you build a controller properly (like the Elite), it will last. I know the Elite was 'expensive' but its outlasted the equivalent cost of standard controllers costs 3x as much but lasted 10x as long!

The 'cynic' in me makes me feel that Sony and MS built them to wear out quickly (at least if you play a LOT) because they know that you will have to buy replacements regularly. If they lasted the generation, at most you may buy an extra 1-3 (for family couch co-op) but make them 'weak' and you will have to buy relatively regularly - depending on the games you play and average hours you play a month. They want the console to last - after all RROD and to a lesser degree YLOD can have a big impact on the perception - people still talk about the RROD now so make the controller weak and people will have to buy replacements regularly - maybe not too make so those that game a few hours a week won't have issues for a few years but those that game for hours every day will need a couple of controllers a year...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Kidfried

Push Square turned into Nintendo Life this week. The site is just a fullscreen advert for Mario Tennis on Switch right now for me. Please Sony, do something about this travesty!

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

@Kidfried You havent seen the absolutely hilarious and ironic Fortnite on Switch adds? Or the Nintendo @E3 ad?

I've got The Crew 2 now but I got a chuckle out of the Fortnite one.

I'll agree though, I dont care about Mario Tennis Aces. Or any Mario spinoff really. Not sure why they exist when Camelot could be doing better things.

Kidfried

@Knuckles-Fajita You are BLP? It's hard to keep track of your name changes, man!

And we're from different regions, so I never had the ads you named before. Also, I feel that, as someone who doesn't visit Nintendo-centric websites, they might not have come up for me for that reason as well.

I do care about Mario Tennis, though. My most anticipated Nintendo release for this year even (a bit due to a lack of must haves for me).

Kidfried

Haruki_NLI

@Kidfried The Fortnite one has been the most common for me, because of the irony I find it hilarious. But I saw Monster Hunter World/Horizon/God of War ads on NintendoLife a while back so it works both ways.

I dont care about Mario Tennis. I never have and it's one of those where I see the appeal but....nah I'm good. I won't get the mileage out of it that I did Smash and ARMS and Mario Kart when I was at university. Now that I'm at home in the middle of nowhere at least.

I only have one first party must-have this year. The rest are third parties or Wii U ports like Captain Toad. Kinda sad but also kinda refreshing as the same is true of Xbox and PlayStation too. All third party titles.

Octane

#kratosgate

We will never forget.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic