Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 10,056

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Well, my region, as my partner lives about an hour away from me and my office was thirty minutes in the opposite direction, and I've seen it happen at all three locations. It might have something to do with distribution centres and whatnot, but that's just my random guess.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger An hour is quite long a distance for you and your significant other.

By the way, I'm still very happy with your screenshot of Snake in the Pequod as my desktop wallpaper!

Kidfried

Jaz007

Does anyone else think we may have gotten last the point where games with a realistic art style will stop having trouble aging badly in that department? As I’m playing Bloodborne, I think the game still looks fantastic even if God of War or Uncharted 4 is a bit more detailed with the textures and whatnot; it came pretty close to the PS4’s launch if I recall correctly. I’m not sure it will be a huge problem from now on. I’m not sure I can imagine the game being ugly in the future.
Perhaps they won’t feel top notch or as close to it anymore, but I don’t know about ugly.

Jaz007

Octane

@Jaz007 The idea of games improving (in the graphical department) during the lifespan of a console isn't as true as it used to be anymore. Back in the 80s, 90s and early 00s every console had a different architecture and every console was a new learning experience for the developers. These days though, they're basically PCs in a box. If the developer is familiar with developing on PC (and they should by default), there's not much of a learning curve left. Maybe we get engines that do more with the same hardware, maybe new techniques to make a game look better, but it's not an uphill struggle like it used to be anymore. So I think that early PS4 games will compare much more favourable to the later games than early PS2 games versus late PS2 games for example.

Octane

BAMozzy

@Jaz007 Its possible that the games we see now won't look as aged in the future because of their more realistic looking visuals. If you look at Goldeneye (N64 - 1997) which was a game that actually attempted to bring 'realism' into gaming with character faces from the movies, by 2007 (just 10yrs later) with Uncharted, that game made Goldeneye look incredibly dated and basic. 10years later though, Uncharted is still a 'good' looking game - ok its not as good as Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy but its not so 'bad' its ugly either. Its still just as playable and still looks good - if somewhat 'soft' (if you play the PS3 version) because of the lower resolution. Point is though that games evolved 'less' in the last 10years compared to 10yrs before that in a lot of ways. Its a bit like resolution - now we are at 4k, the jump up from 1080p isn't as big as the jump up from SD to HD (in TV - its more obvious in gaming) and I can see 8k having less impact than 4k does. HDR obviously makes a much bigger difference.

As someone with an Xbox One X that also 'enhances' (some) 360 games to a 'higher' resolution making them as 'sharp' with great 'textures' due to much better (built in) texture filtering as modern games, the visuals are often not too far off the modern PS4/XB1 games. They certainly haven't aged as rapidly as the previous generations. They are still 'great' games to play and don't look or feel dated.

What we are seeing now is more a refinement rather than an evolution of technology. Polygon counts are higher but its 'diminishing' returns. The biggest advancements are more in filling their world's with more vegetation, more NPC's, better lighting, water mechanics etc as well as being able to make the worlds 'bigger', more open with no 'loading' screens. I know we had open world games with no 'loading' screens last gen - until you wanted to go into a building. You also had narrow 'corridors' where the next area would load in whilst you travelled these barren areas - its something I think God of War uses too with the caves for example to areas off of the Lake of Nine but the point is, the modern game can have much better 'streaming' to eliminate these 'loading' sections.

The biggest difference I see in the future is more 'density'. More NPC's/AI/wildlife, more objects that can be moved or broken, better interaction with the 'world' (vegetation that moves or can be destroyed for example) and things like that. Maybe even more realistic NPCs and worlds too. By that I mean NPC's that actually build houses over time instead of constantly working on a house that never develops. We do see a bit more of that in games like H:ZD and AC: Origins where workers actually do have 'jobs' but its still quite limited - for example you don't see an NPC constantly sawing the same log but never getting anywhere...

Going back to this 'gen' games won't necessarily be as 'dated' from a visual sense but may feel somewhat 'static' or even empty - may even notice the pop-in more too. To a degree you do get that now by going back to last gen, fewer objects are able to be moved or broken, emptier or more 'barren' looking environments, loading areas, less 'impact' on the world, NPC's more static (as in locked to a specific task - like walking a set path or sawing the same log).

Point is, I think we will see more interactivity and realistic worlds, more dynamic rather than just realistic 'looking' worlds that are quite static. not just certain trees that can be cut down but any tree for example. Not just the jug or cup on the table that can be moved/broken but the table too - maybe even see environments change over time like buildings that actually get built or fields that actually get ploughed, seeded and grow. Return to a desolate village and the wildlife has taken it over more and the buildings are falling into greater disrepair. That can make current games feel more static despite having day/night cycles.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

RogerRoger

@Kidfried It is, but I like to think we make the best of it, given our circumstances. After all, you can't choose who you fall in love with. It's why I'm around here less at weekends; I spend most of them over at his, so any responses I do post are written on my phone (and I try not to check my phone at all whilst there; we spend so little time together, the least I can do is give him my full attention).

Glad Snake's still working for you! I used that shot for quite a while, too. Place any character, object or scene at sunset and I think you automatically make it 100% more photogenic.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Speaking as someone who also has had a somewhat long distance relationship in the past, there are always enough ways to make it work. And like you said, it's all about making the most of the time you are together. But from what it sounds like you've made it work very well together.

My current partner lives a 10 minute walk from my home, and I often forget how convenient that is.

Have you been together for long?

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Four years this month. You?

There have been tough moments. A lot of them have been (and continue to be, alas) the fault of my anxiety, depression and OCD which, before I met him, had me convinced that I could never sustain a relationship beyond a handful of months. Sometimes, I'd say the distance has helped more than it has made things worse. When I think back over some of the things I've put him through, it makes me love him even more for sticking with me. He's made some real big sacrifices to make me feel comfortable; I consider myself darn lucky.

Just as you're lucky to live so close to your partner, whilst also maintaining that degree of individuality. My mental issues aside, I've always believed that no matter how close two people can become, everybody needs five minutes to themselves each day. The tricky part is figuring out the balance.

At least, that's my opinion; I hope I haven't just offended you or anything!

Making It So Since 1987

Tasuki

So last night after a 20 year hiatus I started running a Dungeon and Dragons campaign. It's was alot of fun since it was a few of my old friends that a recently reconnected with so it kinda felt like old times, except this time my son was able to join in.

Not sure how popular Dungeon Drangons is here but I might post an summery of our weekly adventures here. This week we mainly created character's for 5th Edition so far we was a Half-Orc fighter, a Dwarf Fighter, a Half-Elf Rogue and a High Elf Sorcerer. Next weekend we will begin their first adventure.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Your story sounds awfully familiar. I've been together with my partner for six years, so that's quite similar in length I feel. For most of my life I've been struggling with mental health, in increasing intensity unfortunately. So, most of what you're saying I can understand (in my own way).

Maintaining my individuality is something I've been struggling with in my relationship. Being together with the one you love pretty much all of the time can be an amazing feeling. But it is difficult to care for someone else, when you also need to make a lot of time to care for yourself. It's the main reason why we're not living together even.

But yes, having an understanding partner is a blessing.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Tasuki I've never played D&D before, but it's pretty awesome you're able to share that experience with your kid. Probably didn't imagine that when you played 20 years ago!

How long sessions do you have?

Kidfried

Tasuki

@Kidfried Lol no I didn't. When I did have my son I always thought it would be cool if he would get into it, bit I didn't pressure him into it. He actually started watching people on YouTube playing it and such.

If you ever want to see it played I suggest looking up Critical Role on YouTube it's a weekly series where a bunch of voice actors get together and play Dungeon and Dragons. One of the players is Ashley Johnson who was Elle in The Last of Us. The others are Travis Willingham who does Mustang's voice in Full Metal Alchemist, his wife Laura Bailey who's done several anime and video game characters voices, Liam O'Brien who does several voices as well for games and anime and a few others that do anime and video game characters voices.

As for me my sessions are about 4 hours long mainly due to people's schedules.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Congratulations on your six years together!

I'm sorry to hear that your individuality has been a struggle for you. When you think of how many different personality types there are out there, even without the added complication of mental health issues, it's a wonder how anybody ever manages to find the right balance. You and I are the lucky ones; no matter how things turn out, at least we've had the opportunity to try.

Whilst I would never, ever wish mental health issues on anybody, not even my worst enemy, it is somewhat of a comfort when you can randomly, in a totally unrelated corner of the internet, bump into somebody in a similar situation. The core issue of mental health, at least from my perspective, is one of isolation; it's all raging within you, perhaps others haven't believed you, or not understood just how bad a bad day can be. You don't feel "normal" (whatever that is).

Sometimes it's just nice to be reminded that you're not as alone as you think. For taking an interest, for replying and for sharing your own story, you have my sincere thanks.

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@Kidfried @RogerRoger Power to you both for talking about this stuff. I wish I could have more time to myself but sometimes dealing with all the stuff in my life - I dont have the chance. That used to metamorphosise into a weekend blow out or booking myself into a hotel for a night. Now adays I reluctantly (Im a man damn it) admit I am upset and want some time on my own (I cant afford a hotel). That tends to work.

Ive never suffered with anxiety but suffered major depression when I got unfairly medically discharged from the Armed forces, my dad died and we lost our house in the space of a month. That was a proper crap time so if you have depression due to genetics that would be horrendous. Fortunately a couple of months happy pills and a start in a decent civvy job sorted me out. My wifes really understanding and I especially needed her then.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy Thank you, for both your opening sentence and the rest of your reply.

Recognising yourself and your own limits can be the hardest part of any such situation. Genuinely, without wanting to sound patronising, well done for identifying those moments and doing something about them. So many people don't, and it only makes things worse for themselves and their loved ones.

Pride can be my worst enemy, so I fully sympathise with the reluctant part of your admissions, and not just because I'm a bloke. I think everybody in modern western society, male or female, has a drive to be strong, independent and capable (and for anybody who's served, dial that up to eleven). Facing up to anything that knocks or undermines that can be so difficult, especially in front of your family.

Sounds like you've been through a really, really rough time. I'm sorry to hear that, but glad to hear you found a way to make it through and that your wife was, and is, supportive.

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger to be fair that was almost 7 years ago. All the bad stuff seemed to come at once which is usually stretched over a lifetime. Yeah acknowledging you have an issue is hard, its amplified when people dont understand your situation. But the meds helped me through and time is a good healer. I got a great job, we decided to buy a house the only thing I could never replace was my dad. Just decided to become an even better dad for my kids.

What is interesting to me and that experience is that ultra low. Staring into space, not functioning properley, saying your ok but your not, not wanting to do much or go out. Ive never suffered before from that so if one was inclined to be that way naturally its horrendous. Your just broken. Its weird actually.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JohnnyShoulder

I too suffered with depression and anxiety in the past, i still get my dark days and moments but feel a lot better then i did. The 'secret' for me was acknowledging what i had, recognising what was the main cause of it, and doing something about it. Having a good support circle of family and close friends that you can talk to sometimes helps (not always my parents for instance go to 'deep' for my liking).

One thing that irks me and something that I'm noticing more and more on the internet and media is when people say stuff like I'm a little bit of OCD' which couldn't be futher from the truth. I don't suffer from it myself but have known peple that do and seen what it can do to people.
@RogerRoger @Kidfried Thanks for being so open, i would post more but i have start work!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 Congratulations!

@JohnnyShoulder Ah, the "Doesn't everybody do that?" response. If I had a quid for every punch I've restrained, I'd... well, I'd only have about fifteen quid, but you get the idea.

In addition to your example of "I'm a little bit OCD", allow me to add "Doesn't everybody have bad days?", "We all have our strange habits!" and my personal favourite, "It's all just a matter of willpower, you know." Deliver with a condescending tone and you've got the majority reaction to mental health in this country. It's amazing how many people are experts on things they've never experienced for themselves (although, like I said before, I'd never wish any of this on anybody).

Thanks for sharing, and glad to hear you're a lot better than you were.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic