Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 4,661 to 4,680 of 10,075

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I’ve seen more spats on here about the Star Wars prequels than TLOU2 😂😂

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

I had a wee look to see which PS4 games actually got 10 on here and it was hilarious to go into each indie and read the comments. I forgot how much crazy hate there was back then for anything that wasn’t AAA. It was also weird seeing users I hadn’t seen in a while so I checked their last comments and one of them was along the lines of “go ahead and ban me”. Brilliant, it’s like when they say “go ahead and shoot me” in the movies and the other guy says something like “happy to comply” and then blasts him in the forehead.

LieutenantFatman

@nessisonett
It's so weird isn't it? People getting so incredibly worked up that a game exists that they don't want to play. That's a huge amount of time and energy wasted on something that doesn't interest them. Very odd behaviour.

LieutenantFatman

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Yeah I don't get the people that immediately relegate anything that is an indie game or that is not AAA as trash. 🤷‍♂️

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@LieutenantFatman @JohnnyShoulder That line of thinking‘s not as prevalent now than it was back at the start of this gen. With so many AAA series disappointing people, games like Stardew Valley, Celeste and the like have delivered a pure gaming experience without the bloat and I think people appreciate that.

nessisonett

@LN78 Kenneth Williams is the OG of camp humour and I do love him. Carry On films are truly awful but there’s something strangely funny about how obvious they are. I read his diaries a while back though and they’re a pretty tragic read, it’s interesting to see how attitudes towards gay people made him both essentially entirely celibate and alone, one of the factors that led to his suicide. I always felt sorry for him but despite everything, I want “oooh Matron” to live on, even though it’s like a really obvious stereotype.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett My Dad had “oooh Matron” as a voicemail message on our landline a couple of decades ago!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tjuz

@Th3solution I'm the exact same when it comes to putting on music and podcasts during activities. I just can't do it. It's too distracting and I'll end up focused on either or. Just yesterday I was on call with a friend playing Fall Guys, doing pretty well for myself, but the second the music went on I started failing pretty much every first round. Now, I'm not the best player in the world, but I also feel like those two things weren't not related! Haha, but yeah. For me to be able to put something on I have to be doing a totally mindless task during it, and gaming is certainly not that. I can't even write replies on this forum while listening to music! It's honestly quite inconvenient and I'd love to be able to say I can multitask like that, but it seems like it's not in the cards for either me or you. Stupid brains.

Tjuz

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 @nessisonett Kenneth Williams was a comedy genius - a lot of his non-Carry On work was very boundary pushing, especially his stage and radio where he managed to do some seriously rude innuendo. He was also great at doing interviews and writing. The real shame is that he became typecast in those Carry on films and that, in of itself, just became the lazy camp stereotype and from what I have read, contributed a lot to his depression etc.

I think comedy is of an era and it is possible to recognise great comedy work and at the same time realise that they are not suitable now. I mean now, the Carry on films are deeply sexist, homophobic and racist in a lot of ways and I agree they shouldn't be revered as such but at the same time, in the performances, the lines and delivery and timing they had some real moments of comedic genius. I mean Monty Python is the same - for all the great surreal sketches, the show itself had a bunch of stuff that just wouldn't fly in today's society.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

nessisonett

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah, I think nowadays we’re so used to comedy covering almost everything that we forget the people who helped to push those boundaries. Without loads of shows that probably wouldn’t air today such as Allo Allo, Are You Being Served and the like, we wouldn’t have our modern comedies that can push those boundaries without (usually) having thousands of wee old dears sending their complaints to Ofcom.

mookysam

@nessisonett I agree with the particular programmes you mention, but would say that the alternative comedy of the '80's pushed more boundaries and has had a more lasting impact, without necessarily relying on the misogyny, racism and homophobia that drove a lot of earlier comedy (particularly stand-up). Much of the cultural output of the '80's was defined by an entire generation's disillusionment (if not disgust) with the Thatcher government.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

nessisonett

@mookysam You’re quite right, it’s easy to see the influence of people like Rik Mayall and French and Saunders in pretty much all mainstream British comedy these days. I saw that Stewart Lee’s trying to cultivate a new alternative comedy scene and to be honest, there’ve been some great comedians coming through recently. I’m a big fan of the Off Menu podcast which has a lot of guests who’re basically just other comedians but because they’re all from the same scene, you hear a lot of stories. It’s not an easy lifestyle and we, as viewers, probably take for granted the years of graft it takes to make it onto an episode of a panel show.

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 I agree - Carry On's, or at least the later ones where they just really did the same thing over and over are not my cup of tea. i would say the early ones - largely black and white still have moments but it was a case of taking a successful couple of films and then just duplicating over and over again.

@mookysam You are right but the 80's counter comedy needed something to counter against, particularly the very much state approved comedy of the time seen on most outlets. It also assumes that great comedy wasn't being made at that time - it was... it was more of a comedy establishment they were railing against.

What is interesting is we are now seeing the countering against that 80's style comedy - accusations of sexism or characters etc. that are now seen as offensive. Take the Harry Enfield Stavros character or some of Rory Bremner's impersonations. It is changing all the time.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

mookysam

@nessisonett I love French and Saunders' spoofs. 😂 I've been watching Ab Fab recently and it made me think just how forward thinking it was for the early '90's. Have you seen any of The Comic Strip Presents?
I read an article on The Guardian recently about the importance of the Edinburgh Festival in finding new talent, and how Covid-19 has thrown a spanner in the works. I can't find it now though. Apparently many acts go there to be discovered and may end up on things like Mock the Week, or even get a series commissioned.

@Rudy_Manchego Yeah, things are continuously changing and a lot of what we see on TV mirrors changes in wider society. Something as genuinely offensive as Little Britain was not only acceptable 15 years ago, but was one of the biggest programmes on television. It's not that it wasn't offensive at the time and people are suddenly just sensitive, but that people are realising that it should never have been okay in the first place. I also like that TV is now getting to a place where gay and disabled people are not just tired stereotypes or the punchline of a joke.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Kidfried

@mookysam Oof, Little Brittain. I remember feeling the peer pressure to like it, because everyone around me did. But I just hated it, hehe.

Kidfried

BearsEatBeets

Not sure if many have seen this but it looks very impressive.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

Rudy_Manchego

@mookysam Absolutely - I'll be honest, I really liked elements of Little Britain and the Come Fly with Me 'follow' up series at the time, particularly the original two radio shows. There are some great sketches but to me, the least funny was always the over the top characters like Emily Howard and 'only Gay' in the village. I just loved the toy shop sketch for example. However, there were a lot of lazy gags in there looking back which really played on stereotypes in a way that is (rightfully) not acceptable. Comedy, a little like horror and sci fi is an interesting view into society at the time it was created. As you say, it is an inditment of the time that we see it shouldn't be acceptable.

I am a huge Bill Hicks fan and I have seen current generation comedians come out and say he should be cancelled because of some of his views - that he was misogynistic etc. It is interesting because in a lot of ways, he was a far out left radical in his views but by todays standards, absolutely the material is aged in some ways. To me it doesn't mean that he wasnt a comedy genius but he was pushing boundaries in the time period he was in. If I listen to him now, some bits I grimace at which I see as a good thing - it shows I can see how much we have grown.

I fully expect that some current comedy in 20-30 yrs will also age badly. In fact, I hope it does!

Rudy_Manchego

@LN78 Yeah what was the old joke.. Question: Why is Denis Leary a star while Bill Hicks is unknown? Answer: Because there's no cure for cancer.

Russell Crowe has been trying to get a biopic going for years and I hope it never gets made because it is the last thing he wants or needs. I have seen other comedians like Stewart Lee make jokes saying he wished he was judged on just 4 live shows which I think is harsh.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic