Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,721 to 3,740 of 10,056

WanderingBullet

@RogerRoge No problem. Both Plan 8 and Crimson Desert are developed by Pearl Abyss, the creator of Black Desert. I thought both trailers looked great but as of right now I have no idea what the gameplays are like.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

HallowMoonshadow

She can totally get by @nessisonett without playing the previous Witcher games (I did and I'm pretty sure 90% of people who've played the third did too!)

It's rather cool you managed to persuade her to play Red Dead of all things! Was that her first "proper" game?

Ha ha awww @Rudy_Manchego that's a shame but fair enough if she isn't interested... I may have to accept that at some point myself with my partner!

Ralizah wrote:

It's also kind of impressive for your casual gamer mother to be decent at fighting games. I'm not a casual gamer, and I still suck at them.

Ha ha well I'm not great at them either @Ralizah. By decent I meant she's able to mostly keep up with me in them. She's very much a button masher though and she can get a bit competitive in those seeing as she can actually play them šŸ˜…

... It's 3D movement (and the analogue sticks in particular) that throw her into disarray.

Ralizah wrote:

Also, I just want to play a Fatal Frame game, not flip through a manual and play stupid minigames.

Ooooooh hell you weren't kidding about it being mostly minigames. It's only two hours long if that! How weird! I mean I can sorta see why they thought using the 3DS might have been a good idea ... but yeah...

Ralizah wrote:

I've actually heard Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on the Wii was an interesting game...

I think it was on PS2 as well... But it was mainly made for Wii. Unsuprisingly it's a bit of a rare commodity though. I've heard things about it too with a psychatrist or something checking up on you? Sounds a bit like what's in Until Dawn with Dr Hill? Might be a touch more involved in Shattered Memories?

I've seen both the SH films though (Pyramid head was spoiled to me anyway beforehand) and honestly I think the first is kinda ok? The second is a trainwreck though šŸ˜‚

Ralizah wrote:

There was an HD re-release of the PS2 games on PS3/X360, but the collection was so incompetent that they're vastly inferior versions of the games.

I heard the PS3 version is a bit better in this regard? It was something about losing all the master builds and they had to basically redo it or something? Had entirely new audio if I remember right as I swore I read something involving voice actors for one of them...

Ralizah wrote:

This article. I found Yamauchi's salty take on the failure of the N64 to be quite funny

I just read the PushSquare article about it! Considering he was the president back when they made baseball cards though he was in the seat for quite some time which is impressive!

... Still quite bitter though too. I mean I would've been too if I was in his shoes!

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Iā€™d say it was probably the first ā€˜properā€™ game although sheā€™s played Lego Harry Potter and a lot of simulators like The Sims and Tropico. Itā€™s taken a while for her to get used to the controller, itā€™s amazing what we take for granted having memorised controllers and training our hand-eye coordination so long ago!

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

nessisonett wrote:

Sheā€™s played Lego Harry Potter and a lot of simulators like The Sims and Tropico

I think any of those sucessfully count as proper games @nessisonett!

I was moreso thinking of something like candy crush or Nintendogs or something ... Nice selection there to get her used to it... My mother (she's 58) would probably take one look at Tropico and hand the controller back with all those menus though šŸ˜…

She'd probably give Lego Potter a go though!

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

It's 3D movement (and the analogue sticks in particular) that throw her into disarray.

The analog sticks on controllers really throw my brother-in-law off as well. He's great with a mouse and keyboard, but have him try to play something with dual analog and suddenly he's barely able to move and aim at the same time. He hasn't developed the pruned synaptic connections needed to do that stuff effortlessly.

Of course, I'm trash when it comes to trying to use a keyboard to platform in a PC game, so who am I to talk?

Ooooooh hell you weren't kidding about it being mostly minigames. It's only two hours long if that! How weird! I mean I can sorta see why they thought using the 3DS might have been a good idea ... but yeah...

I want to be a fly on the wall at the meeting where the corporate suits first came up with the idea of an AR-centered Fatal Frame minigame collection that would require sitting in a bright environment to play. I just can't fathom what anyone was thinking.

I think it was on PS2 as well... But it was mainly made for Wii. Unsuprisingly it's a bit of a rare commodity though. I've heard things about it too with a psychatrist or something checking up on you? Sounds a bit like what's in Until Dawn with Dr Hill? Might be a touch more involved in Shattered Memories?

It is actually quite Until Dawn-ish, actually, since the game changes certain aspects of the environment and narrative depending on what actions you choose throughout the game. Also, like Until Dawn, there's a session with a psychiatrist.

I've not heard good things about the PS2 version. I believe it was severely gimped in comparison to the more fully-featured Wii release (probably the only time I'll ever be able to say that about a Wii game with a straight face).

I've seen both the SH films though (Pyramid head was spoiled to me anyway beforehand) and honestly I think the first is kinda ok? The second is a trainwreck though šŸ˜‚

There's very little that triggers Silent Hill fans more than seeing films and subsequent games use Pyramid Head. For narrative reasons, he should ONLY ever appear in the context of Silent Hill 2. He's not just a generic monster to be utilized in various media!

I heard the PS3 version is a bit better in this regard? It was something about losing all the master builds and they had to basically redo it or something? Had entirely new audio if I remember right as I swore I read something involving voice actors for one of them...

Actually, the PS3 version had an unlocked framerate, resulting in a lot of judder, whereas the 360 version generally stayed locked at 30fps. The handling of the FMVs and the aspect ratio change was amateurish. Dramatically reduced fog effects in Silent Hill 2. And yeah, new voices, which the games really didn't need. :/

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Too late - already started divorce proceedings after reading your thread. Enough is enough!

Just kidding, I get she isn't into it and some things can't be forced.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Genrou

Sad to hear about Kirk Douglas but he did live a long full life. He is truly a legend in the movie industry. May he rest in piece.

Genrou

nessisonett

@Genrou Oof, itā€™s sad to see him go since heā€™s basically the last Old Hollywood actor left other than Olivia de Havilland. Theyā€™ve lived almost two lifetimes by now.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Stick it to the Man is ace! It has a very strange sense of humour and some of the puzzles are a bit out there. It has some novel uses of some of the features on the Ds4, like using the pad to tickle someone. Great little game!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@Genrou Iā€™m surprised and ashamed to say that despite his being a cultural icon (and #17 on AFIā€™s list of ā€œGreatest Male Screen Legends of Classic Cinemaā€, according to Wikipedia) I havenā€™t seen a single Kirk Douglas film. I looked up his filmography out of curiosity and the only one I actually tried to watch was Man From Snowy River but I never really got into it and remember next to nothing about it. (All I recall was the iconic scene with someone riding a horse down a steep incline šŸ˜„) I also may have seen a few scenes in passing of his role in Spartacus. I love that I see he did appear in an episode of The Simpsons and Xena: Warrior Princess. Honestly, Michael Douglas his son looks so much mike him that it was difficult to keep them distinct in my mind. I had no idea Kirk was 103 when he passed yesterday. That is a long life, for sure.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder @KratosMD Stick it to the Man is a wonderfully bonkers game with some rather left field puzzles and a cool art style. If you like the Monkey Island type of humour, puzzle solving, and wandering around then you'll enjoy it! I played it back on PS3 so didn't know about the "tickling".

The title track is also perfect for the game.

Thrillho

Kidfried

Stick it to the man is great, I can confirm!

Kidfried

Genrou

@Th3solution Yeah I remember when I was a kid and even a teenager I would get the two mixed up (much like Donald and Keifer Southerland). I have seen a few of his movies but honestly the only one that sticks out in my mind is Spartacus and its not the reason most people would think.

Genrou

Jaz007

So for a college course we have to give a presentation, written and oral on a major security breach, and looking through a list of major ones, I remembered the legendary month PSN was down for. Also has some interesting stuff like how Sony said credit card information wasnā€™t leaked and itā€™s hard to say if Sony was responsible for any of the leaks itā€™s 77 million members had or if stuff that normally does that did it. I asked my group about it, and weā€™re going over that one. I can remember it alright too.

Jaz007

Jaz007

@KratosMD Excellent piece of news! It gives me some interest in getting it.
@get2sammyB Dod you see what @KratosMD said about there being Spyro Collectionā€™s with all three games on the disc? This could be worth an article.

Jaz007

Octane

@KratosMD ''Which Version of Kingdom Hearts Should You Buy?'' can be an article on its own

Yeah, that's very possible regarding the data size! If you manage to find a copy, let us know! I'm certain there are plenty of people that got the original version and downloaded everything that are willing to confirm whether it takes up 70GB or not.

Octane

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

Of course, I'm trash when it comes to trying to use a keyboard to platform in a PC game, so who am I to talk?

Well... considering I've never played with a keyboard and mouse before you're no doubt better then me @Ralizah!

Ralizah wrote:

I want to be a fly on the wall at the meeting where the corporate suits first came up with the idea of an AR-centered Fatal Frame minigame collection that would require sitting in a bright environment to play. I just can't fathom what anyone was thinking.

The same suits who presumably thought it'd be a good idea to bring Suda51 in on the 4th Fatal Frame game! (Seriously he was part of 4's design! I found it out when you said the 4th wasn't released to the west and I took a little look about it)

Ralizah wrote:

It is actually quite Until Dawn-ish, actually, since the game changes certain aspects of the environment and narrative depending on what actions you choose throughout the game. Also, like Until Dawn, there's a session with a psychiatrist

Huh... I wonder if the Until Dawn guys took inspiration from that? Still that's pretty neat... And I don't think anyone has ever said that about Wii port... ever šŸ˜‚

Ralizah wrote:

There's very little that triggers Silent Hill fans more than seeing films and subsequent games use Pyramid Head. For narrative reasons, he should ONLY ever appear in the context of Silent Hill 2.

If I was a betting woman I'd say he's some kind of repressed desires or something for the protagonist of SH2... That or he IS the protag from SH2!!!

... It is a neat design though. I can see why they used it even if it makes zero sense.

Ralizah wrote:

Actually, the PS3 version had an unlocked framerate, resulting in a lot of judder, whereas the 360 version generally stayed locked at 30fps. The handling of the FMVs and the aspect ratio change was amateurish. Dramatically reduced fog effects in Silent Hill 2. And yeah, new voices, which the games really didn't need. :/

Oh interesting! I swear I heard there was a patch for the PS3 version that konami didn't bother putting on the 360 so I always assumed it was the better version.

It's rather weird they gave it new voices though... was there any given reason for that?

WanderingBullet

I've tried the Japanese demo. I liked some of the original songs from the anime so its nice to hear them in the game. I wanna say gameplay wise (the battle part) it feels a bit like the Dragon Quest Heroes games but with less enemies. Also, I would've liked it more if Kosuke Fujishima was the character design artist instead of Tite Kubo.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

KALofKRYPTON

I'm going to be heading back in to Elite Dangerous at some point soon and have been looking back in to the esoterica over the past week or so for a general bead on my plans for getting back in the cockpit of my trusty Viper and progressing to get to our solar system.

I found this guy's videos on the ships of ED, he sets up beautiful shots and manages to articulate the majesty of the exploration side of the game really nicely.

This is a great video showcasing one of the ships, and(eventually) Sagittarius A*, which I'll absolutely try to get to at some point.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Jaz007

Kinda random, but @theMCNoisy, I still have those sick Persona 5 car pictures from Gran Turismo you made as my computer background lol.

Jaz007

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic