Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,701 to 3,720 of 10,056

nessisonett

Yeah I’m a hypocrite, love animals and think mass slaughtering is wrong on every level but I cook a lot and really like eating meat. I have tried some alternatives that are seriously good though so I reckon with a bit more time, they could make alternatives I could work into my lifestyle.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

I think if any of us visited a slaughterhouse we be repulsed. Nevertheless, I don’t subscribe to vegan lifestyle or diet personally, but would support measures to improve ethical treatment of animals and beasts of burden. I do think all creatures deserve their own level of respect, but I will squash a cockroach when it enters my dwelling, something I’ve seen some people turn their a critical eye to.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution I'll catch a spider and put it out all day every day versus killing it, but if you see a roach in your house well... you got a much bigger problem and you gotta start killing them en masse or you'll be overrun unfortunately. I mean, I'd kill cows if they started trying to overrun my flat too, so I guess that's another time I could justify the killing of animals lol. But in general I wont kill a bug just because it's easier, unless it's the type that'll lead to infestation.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 It’s a slippery slope, sir. The devils advocate would say the deer population also needs control through hunting in order to keep them from invading our neighborhoods in droves. 😜 Many a driver is killed hitting a deer. Not to mention the wild boar population that ruins farmers’ crops. Etc, etc, etc.
I’m not a hunter, but I’ve had buddies who are, so I’ve gone round and round on these things.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution Sure but that doesn't mean I'm going to let my body become a bed bug buffet lol. And to be honest if I kept nearly hitting deer maybe I'd be inclined to get out a gun and do something about it before they killed me. Hunting does make sense to me, unless you're just doing it for pleasure. The problem is, I figure a lot of hunters say they are doing it for some greater good, when really they just enjoy killing stuff.

kyleforrester87

HallowMoonshadow

I've spent most my life now as a Pescetarian now. I grew up eating a standard diet til I was 17 or so. My ex husband (Or boyfriend at the time) was a Vegetarian and I ended up giving it a go... Gave up all the other kinds of meat aside from fish.

They aren't perfect but I quite like most the meat alternatives like Quorn & such. It helps my mother in law is a chef (in particular skilled in Japanese and Asian cusine) and VERY good at her job, teaching my partner everything she knows about cooking so I get some amazing food at times even from something very mundane 😀

I'm not that great a cook though myself. I probably would've been back to eating meat if it wasn't for my partners (past and present) being able to cook 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Jaz007

@Th3solution No Game No Life is an anime. A brother and his adopted sister who are legendary online (under a certain username) for never losing a game. They get transported into a world where everything is decided by games and no killing violence and such is allowed. Two participants have to agree upon a game and something of equal value or bet for the game. The world was once getting torn apart by way before the world had these rules though, and the move “No Game No Life: Zero” tells the story of how the world became like it is. Where it went from being torn apart by violence to everything being decided by games.
The series is beyond crazy and clever with how they win the games and the mind games they play in the process.

Jaz007

RogerRoger

LN78 wrote:

@RogerRoger I guess I just find it odd that you can be upset at the "unnecessary" slaying of digital animals for the edification of fictional characters but are OK with unnecessary slaying of actual animals for your own consumption. Please don't take that as any sort of condemnation, I just find human rationale difficult to figure out on many occasions,this being one of them. I'm sure you must find my reckless abandon in killing so many creatures in "RDR2" completely reprehensible!!

@LN78 Oh no, I get the contradiction, it's fine. Happens a lot in life.

I have a zero tolerance policy towards narcotics and alcohol, but will routinely eat a whole bag of donuts and without a frequent caffeine fix, I get headaches. It's bizarre how education has gradually turned us against certain forms of harmful or damaging behaviour (to ourselves, to another species or to an entire ecosystem) yet left the door wide open for others.

I think there's a level of cowardice at play with me, something others have alluded to. I'll eat the burger because it doesn't have big, sad eyes to gaze at. I'll eat the chicken because I didn't have to break its neck. In a survival situation it'd be a different story but today, in this semi-civilised world, I have the luxury of distancing myself from the unpleasant end of the chain. When playing a game, it may all be digital but I'm still pulling the trigger and still listening to realistic squeals as the pig-shaped polygons stop moving. That makes me genuinely uncomfortable. Buying a bacon roll does not. Perhaps it should.

I'm also fighting my upbringing. When he left the Navy, my grandfather opened up a butcher's shop, and so meat was a part of every single meal. Nowadays I can be inadvertently vegetarian or vegan, simply because I have days where I quite fancy a salad, but I was raised on meat. Family gatherings happen around roast dinners, or slap-up breakfasts, and so it's second nature to simply eat up.

So no, you keep slaughtering all those artificial animals in Red Dead (you monster!) because I get it. For such a simple issue, it has a remarkably complex legacy.

But then being human is a remarkably complex thing.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@kyleforrester87 While I put spiders out now, years ago me and my sister were too scared to do so - instead we'd name them. We became most attached to Dierdre, Martha and Moira, who we assumed were triplets. Poor Alfonse was named posthumously after we discovered him squashed in a door frame. 😢

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

kyleforrester87

@mookysam lol I was thinking you were going to say you vacuumed them up or something but nope..named em.

Once my housemate found a pretty big spider curled up dead, and he spent quite a long time arranging its legs in a position with toothpicks so it looked alive, and put in the bathroom by the toothbrushes. It stayed there for over a year, and scared a lot of people, multiple times.

kyleforrester87

RogerRoger

@LN78 Drat. Was my attempt to obfuscate my hypocrisy with tangents and other musings really so transparent?

I'll take that as a compliment, thank you!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

A survival horror game about a creepy British orphanage with evil, controlling children...

well, now I HAVE to play it.

The game was unfortunately a bit unfinished in terms of the combat @Ralizah and is a bit clunky apparently to say the least. Not even in the "It's a horror game and supposed to be kinda clunky" way.

The company had to release it before they could polish it up some more because they ran out of funding... Not long after RoR's release they went defunct too, which is a shame (They only made two games). The story's definitely the highlight of Rule Of Rose.

Ralizah wrote:

They get goofier over time. It's hard to believe Clock Tower 3 was ever supposed to pass as a horror game, to be frank.

When I had a re-look the other day at the series there was a rather interesting tidbit I didn't know. The first person you see on the opening credits for Clock Tower 3 is the director as you might expect. Except he's actually a fairly well known Japanese film director which I wasn't aware of.

Plus they did all the cutscenes with mo-cap and you can notably see the wirework looking movements were kept in the animation which really adds to the exaggeration of it all to me.

The english dub might've just went with it and made it even campier/goofier then it was already looking.

Ralizah wrote:

I've been holding off on Resi 7 with the idea that I'd eventually get a PSVR and play it on that,

I found the Resi 7 demo too spooky just with headphones... I kept jumping at every little noise thinking one of the bakers was walking behind me... only to realise afterwards that it was just me as there were tin cans all over the kitchen floor 😂

Ralizah wrote:

Does a gaming habit run in the family?

Very much so. As I've already mentioned a number of times before my dad got me into gaming with Resident Evil back when I was in my teens, never really got into the SNES my dad had bought previously.

For my kids both my Son and Daughter are gamers. My son's tastes are relatively average... My daughter takes after me though and a bit more diverse

Ralizah wrote:

I'm thinking I'll be playing Fatal Frame 2 this year, actually. I played the first one last year, and it was... pretty good!

I haven't played any of the Fatal Frame games besides #2 but from what I've heard the second is considered the best of the series.

It's been ages since I played it (It's only available on the US psn on PS3 I believe and for me it was tied to the US account I lost when my PS3 had to wipe itself clean) but I remember Fatal Frame 2 quite a bit still because of it's uniqueness.

It had a pretty good story and was definitely spooky with some unnerving ghost designs. It felt very unique to me with the location and was generally easy to get a feel for the layout.

There was a bit of backtracking involved but other then that I don't think there was anything bad I had to say about it. The english voices were pretty good, the camera based combat was satisfying.

... I think there was quite a bit of health pickups and film laying about but other then that it was a very solid experience overall.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

The game was unfortunately a bit unfinished in terms of the combat and is a bit clunky apparently to say the least. Not even in the "It's a horror game and supposed to be kinda clunky" way.

The company had to release it before they could polish it up some more because they ran out of funding... Not long after RoR's release they went defunct too, which is a shame (They only made two games). The story's definitely the highlight of Rule Of Rose.

That's unfortunate, although (probably) not a dealbreaker for a PS2 survival horror game. There was a lot of clunk and jank mixed into the generally high quality of the software on that platform.

When I had a re-look the other day at the series there was a rather interesting tidbit I didn't know. The first person you see on the opening credits for Clock Tower 3 is the director as you might expect. Except he's actually a fairly well known Japanese film director which I wasn't aware of.

Plus they did all the cutscenes with mo-cap and you can notably see the wirework looking movements were kept in the animation which really adds to the exaggeration of it all to me.

The english dub might've just went with it and made it even campier/goofier then it was already looking.

The dubbing and mocap are definitely an element of the goofiness (I've never seen video game characters gyrate and wiggle and convulse so much in a video game before; the actors clearly had fun with it), but the story and gameplay elements are often completely out of place in a horror game. I'm not sure what it was going for. Although I'll get more into that in a week or two.

I found the Resi 7 demo too spooky just with headphones... I kept jumping at every little noise thinking one of the bakers was walking behind me... only to realise afterwards that it was just me as there were tin cans all over the kitchen floor 😂

In retrospect, it's funny, because there's really nothing coming to get you at all in the demo. The atmosphere is definitely spooky, though. It must be sublime in VR. Although I should probably make sure it won't be too much for me. Don't really want to freak out and send a DS4 flying through the TV in our game room.

Very much so. As I've already mentioned a number of times before my dad got me into gaming with Resident Evil back when I was in my teens, never really got into the SNES my dad had bought previously.

For my kids both my Son and Daughter are gamers. My son's tastes are relatively average... My daughter takes after me though and a bit more diverse

Yeah, I remember you talking about your dad. It's neat that your kids are into it, too.

I've actually gotten my sister, mother, nephew, and brother-in-law more into gaming as well. Granted, my mother is a bit casual and can't handle anything really complex, but she loves Animal Crossing and did well with some of the simpler ARPGs on 3DS like Fantasy Life and Disney Magical World. Meanwhile, I've introduced my sister to stuff like Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, and, now, The Witcher 3. My BiL is a bit stuck on PC gaming, but he's enjoying some strategy and adventure games on the Switch.

It's fun, because when a game with local multiplayer that we all play comes out, gaming time kind of feeds into family time.

Can't really get them to give traditional home consoles a chance, though. The handhelds just fit much more neatly into our busy lives.

I haven't played any of the Fatal Frame games besides #2 but from what I've heard the second is considered the best of the series.

It's been ages since I played it (It's only available on the US psn on PS3 I believe and for me it was tied to the US account I lost when my PS3 had to wipe itself clean) but I remember Fatal Frame 2 quite a bit still because of it's uniqueness.

It had a pretty good story and was definitely spooky with some unnerving ghost designs. It felt very unique to me with the location and was generally easy to get a feel for the layout.

There was a bit of backtracking involved but other then that I don't think there was anything bad I had to say about it. The english voices were pretty good, the camera based combat was satisfying.

... I think there was quite a bit of health pickups and film laying about but other then that it was a very solid experience overall.

The english voice work in the original is pretty bad. I wish there was the option to play a localized version with Japanese audio. Didn't detract too much from the game, though. Like with Silent Hill, weird voice acting can work well with the eerie atmosphere.

I really wish the series wasn't owned by Nintendo, though. They haven't treated the series right. The Wii entry apparently never left Japan, and Fatal Frame 5 was digital only in the States. The only entry in the series that got a proper release over here, if it can even be called that, is some gimmicky spinoff AR thing on the 3DS.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

Ralizah wrote:

That's unfortunate, although (probably) not a dealbreaker for a PS2 survival horror game. There was a lot of clunk and jank mixed into the generally high quality of the software on that platform.

Well whenever you do play it I hope it's not dealbreaking!

Ralizah wrote:

The dubbing and mocap are definitely an element of the goofiness (I've never seen video game characters gyrate and wiggle and convulse so much in a video game before... I'm not sure what it was going for. Although I'll get more into that in a week or two.

I look forward to reading your eventual thoughts on Clock Tower 3!

Ralizah wrote:

In retrospect, it's funny, because there's really nothing coming to get you at all in the demo.

You say that but those tin cans had it in for me! 😂

And yeah probably wise about seeing if you can handle Resi in VR! I'd 100% end up throwing my controller at something... Knowing my luck I'd end up knocking everything in the room over...

Ralizah wrote:

Yeah, I remember you talking about your dad. It's neat that your kids are into it, too.

I've actually gotten my sister, mother, nephew, and brother-in-law more into gaming as well. Granted, my mother is a bit casual and can't handle anything really complex...

I have tried over the years to get my mom into gaming too but she can't handle anything complex either. She's rather decent at fighting games and enjoys them... But it's only for a few matches before she gives up. Otherwise it's either Nintendogs (bless her) or Professor Layton.

I have actually seemingly started wearing down my partners aversion to video games too. Veeeeeery slightly. Still working on that

My daughter coming back home (after deciding Uni wasn't for her) means I've been able to do some more co-op stuff with her and I can get that family time vibe once again which I missed (But nowhere near as much as her!)

Ralizah wrote:

I really wish the series wasn't owned by Nintendo, though. They haven't treated the series right.

Yeah I heard that the jump to Nintendo is when Fatal Frame is considered to be it's weakest. I think I remember 5 actually got a physical release here but only as some super duper collector edition.

Plus the AR thing sounds bad, and not "so bad it's good" kinda bad either...

Ralizah wrote:

Like with Silent Hill, weird voice acting can work well with the eerie atmosphere.

... I... Haven't actually played a Silent Hill... 😅

Interesting new signature for your posts too... You play quite a number of games and your taste in gaming doesn't seem to only focus on such a thing... Is it a quote or something? 😁

nessisonett

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Speaking of mums, mine is currently in a state of denial in Red Dead 2 Chapter 6. It’s been a long road full of many ‘PRESS L2, NO THAT’S R2’ moments but it’s been both hilarious and great to show my mum what me and my brothers see in gaming. The Witcher TV show means she’s gonna play Witcher 3 next because she loved that and I reckon she can get by without having played 1 and 2.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

It sounds like you have a lovely family. Here's hoping you eventually convince your partner to open up more to your hobby!

It's also kind of impressive for your casual gamer mother to be decent at fighting games. I'm not a casual gamer, and I still suck at them.

Yeah I heard that the jump to Nintendo is when Fatal Frame is considered to be it's weakest. I think I remember 5 actually got a physical release here but only as some super duper collector edition.

Plus the AR thing sounds bad, and not "so bad it's good" kinda bad either...

Yeah. The game got a limited physical release in Europe. I've actually considered hacking my Wii U to break the region lock and importing one of those expensive second-hand copies of the European physical. I don't mind digital on my Switch, but, for some reason, the thought of paying $50 for a digital Wii U game just turns my stomach.

Besides being a complete gimmick, the problem with AR games is that you need to be situated in an extremely well-lit room to play them properly. That doesn't really mix well with the whole 'spooky ghost game' thing.

Also, I just want to play a Fatal Frame game, not flip through a manual and play stupid minigames.

... I... Haven't actually played a Silent Hill... 😅

You should, if you ever get the chance.

One of the first four, anyway. Konami kept kicking the license off to various random Western developers last gen, and, predictably, they didn't really understand how to make good Silent Hill games (I've actually heard Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on the Wii was an interesting game, but it's very, very different, and not really a survival horror experience). It's also worth keeping in mind that the third game was a direct sequel to the first game, whereas 2 and 4 stand on their own.

There was an HD re-release of the PS2 games on PS3/X360, but the collection was so incompetent that they're vastly inferior versions of the games.

Interesting new signature for your posts too... You play quite a number of games and your taste in gaming doesn't seem to only focus on such a thing... Is it a quote or something? 😁

This article. I found Yamauchi's salty take on the failure of the N64 to be quite funny.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/02/random_the_real_rea...

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I have tried several times to kindle an interest in gaming for my wife but to no avail. She used to love Tetris and Crash Bandicoot so tried that again with her, including getting Insane Trilogy but she just wasn't interested. I tried to force her to play Gone Home but she spent the whole time spinning around and unable to move.

I have to accept that gaming isn't for her in the same way that parenting well just isn't something I am capable of.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@WanderingBullet That trailer for Plan 8 got me curious. I'm not sure I'd ever play such a game on PC, but I'd love for it to be a success and make the jump to console! Thanks for sharing!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic