Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,641 to 3,660 of 10,084

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Hey, I used the word "try", okay...?!

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy All it took was one (terrible, I mean... whoa) stand-up "comedian" (term used lightly) to adopt the name at a student bar, and there was no going back. That guy was just... no, I've blocked those memories for a reason. Yikes.

@Ralizah As long as you can show your working, I'd take a "shut up" any day.

And I take your points, I really do. I think that, for me personally, passing judgement flies a little too close to the concepts of individual agency, and its eventual impact on society. There was an infamous case of a left-wing UK newspaper, The Guardian, urging its readers to write to American voters ahead of the 2004 Presidential Election, to tell them to elect Kerry "for the good of the global community". The predictable outcome was that a bunch of enraged Americans told a bunch of nosy, arrogant Brits to get lost, and rightly so.

I was studying politics at the time. My lecturer was the one who showed us all the newspaper's campaign, telling us it was a good, important idea and basically commanding us to get involved. Several of my classmates wrote letters. I was utterly ashamed to be sitting alongside them (at the time; now I'd probably just shake my head and make a wisecrack or three).

Of course I know who I'd vote for if I were an American, but that doesn't give me the right to tell an American who to vote for (via metaphor, directly or otherwise). That's their decision, not mine, because the outcome is gonna impact them more than it will me.

I'm all for freedom of opinion. It's about how we all use our opinions nowadays, in this interconnected, international century. That's the key issue for me.

As for the case study of Japanese censorship, I did say that those red lines were "growing in number" but what I perhaps should've said was that they're forever in flux. I like to hope that they're changing for the better, but it's taking time. Just as we used to demonise comic books, we also used to be comfortable with sexism, so things are shifting both ways. The more international we become, the more some cultures can feel overwhelmed by suddenly having to cater for markets that hold vastly different standards. I can totally see how the behind-the-scenes details of the specific situations we know about make for an imbalanced and, frankly, unfair picture for many, and I respect that being something people get passionate about.

Given the potential perception of the censored content we're discussing, I hope it never becomes normalised or acceptable, but that's just me and my professional experience talking (which I'm trying really hard to keep away from the keyboard right now). I'm certain that things will balance themselves out eventually, the more globalised we all become. We're definitely trending towards more international commonality, despite what some politicians and news channels might have you believe.

@Arugula Roll on that day!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

RogerRoger wrote:

Of course I know who I'd vote for if I were an American, but that doesn't give me the right to tell an American who to vote for (via metaphor, directly or otherwise). That's their decision, not mine, because the outcome is gonna impact them more than it will me.

Maybe, but I don't think the same is true of the people whose lives we shatter when whatever warmonger in chief we've happened to elect invades their country or murders their friends and family with his army of flying death robots (even President Nobel Peace Prize, who ordered more drone strikes during his term than did GWB).

If we start a war, there's always other countries who end up sending soldiers to aid us as well.

And, frankly, if we do something stupid and tank our economy, the world is going down in the muck with us.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

Currently in London on a long weekend, it feels so strange being without games when this is normally when I play the most! Brought my Vita but it dies in 0.2 seconds on battery so I have to play it plugged in. If anyone knows a nice place for dinner in the King’s Cross area then I’d appreciate it! Trying to decide whether to eat at Piebury Corner or Dishoom tonight.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 Ahh yes, the so called ‘gentleman’s clubs’ 😂😂

kyleforrester87

@nessisonett I dunno it was really odd, I was waiting for someone to come in on a train at 2pm on a Saturday. Thought it was a regular pub, didn’t notice the naked woman rubbing herself on stage until I’d ordered my pint 😂

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@Ralizah True, I suppose. I'd certainly give tremendous weight to certain opinions from those unfortunate targets (and the UK is not exactly innocent in that regard either, so I get that).

@nessisonett ...and last time I was at King's Cross, I ate at the St. Pancras Hotel and it wasn't half-bad. There's also the frightening-sounding German Gymnasium round the back, but you can't really go wrong with Dishoom, so that'd be my tie-breaker. Hope you enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Dishoom was queued out the door so ended up at MEATLiquor. It was really quite tasty and got a lovely toffee apple boozy shake. Absolutely stuffed so time for One Piece Pirate Warriors 3!

Th3solution

@Ralizah @RogerRoger Thank you both for your contributions for me to ponder. I do think we see eye-to-eye in the majority of these issues, with each of us having our own little twist on the same basic core beliefs. Kinda like there are several different types of vanilla ice cream, but the same basic flavor can be modified to taste a little unique in its own way. (I’m a fan of Vanilla Bean, personally)
I really enjoy getting into these discussions as a good mental exercise. I’ve said before that’s partly why I enjoy writing reviews as well — through the act of verbalizing (or in this case putting in writing) a thought, opinion, or idea, we actually crystallize our perspective to ourselves as much or more than we do to the hearer or reader. I will leave it at that and might take you up on extended discussion over PSN.

@nessisonett MEATliquor sounds divine! What a great name for an eating and drinking establishment.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Splat

RIP Kobe Bryant.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Oh, of course! It's Sunday evening, a.k.a. everybody-arrives-early-for-their-train-home-after-the-weekend-and-decides-to-grab-food-whilst-they-wait time! Glad you found something somewhere, then!

@Th3solution Vanilla Bean?! Eurgh!!

Only kidding; I think you've got it in one there. Although now I want ice cream, damn it.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Splat ...wait, what?

Just found the headlines. That's a real shock. His name is known around the world. Apparently his teenage daughter was also involved in the crash. What a tragedy.

May they both rest in peace.

Making It So Since 1987

Splat

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-l...

Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers legend, five-time NBA champion and one of the most prolific scorers in basketball history, is dead at the age of 41.

The retired basketball star was aboard a helicopter that crashed near Calabasas, California Sunday morning. Los Angeles County Sheriffs wrote that all five people aboard the helicopter were killed in the crash.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

nessisonett

Truly awful about Kobe, his daughter and the rest of the crew. Horrible accident.

redd214

Been bouncing back and forth between crying in the bathroom and bear hugging my kids for the last few hours. Kobe had a big impact on me as he was in his prime while I was a high school/college basketball player. Absolutely stunning and sad news. The fact that the tragedy claimed children as well is even more gut wrenching. Hope all of their loved ones find peace.

Go hug someone you love, you never know when their time comes

RIP Bean

Edited on by redd214

redd214

RogerRoger

@redd214 Hope you're gonna be alright, and are feeling a little better today.

Making It So Since 1987

redd214

@RogerRoger thank you! Still a bit shaken from it all. I was driving home from my son's basketball game when I got the news. He was just like me, a dad just being there for his kids. Greatful to have watched him as a player and father and wish all the best for his family and the others affected.

redd214

KALofKRYPTON

Shame about the kids and everyone losing their lives, but Bryant was a rapist. Apologised for, enabled and embraced over and over again by the American commercial sports machine.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

KALofKRYPTON

@kyleforrester87 I'm here all week

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic