Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,481 to 3,500 of 3,644

crimsontadpoles

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I preferred the old system of having a single thread that was welcoming of all opinions big and small. Now it feels like my style of opinions will be too big for the Recently Beat thread, and too small and too low quality for the Reviews thread.

I'll get over this, but the two threads system is going to make me more discouraged to post my views.

RogerRoger

Welcome to the challenges of a broad community appeal; for everybody that likes a thing, there'll be somebody who prefers another way. Whilst I may not be as long-serving as others around here, I think we've been doing alright thusfar and when somebody raises an issue, it's always the right thing to at least try, with apologies to those who may now feel caught in the middle, like they can't post in either topic.

Although I must say that I'm a little dismayed at @KratosMD calling other people's posts "more... sophisticated" than theirs and at @crimsontadpoles fearing that their contributions might be "too low quality for the Reviews thread", and that @JohnnyShoulder feels "intimidated" about posting. I'm so sorry to hear that you've felt like that, guys, because that kinda thing really doesn't and shouldn't matter. There is absolutely equal value in anything you write, and just because I'm eloquent (at times) doesn't mean that I'm more valid in some way. You should never feel like you can't post around here.

And since we're on the subject, there is one thing I know for certain; there are dozens, if not more, of lurkers on every web forum. People might not reply to everything, but they're certainly reading it, every word. If you feel strongly enough to put fingers to keyboard, then trust me, it's a worthwhile endeavour.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I'm pretty sure mine are 90% incessant waffling rather then sophisticated @RogerRoger 😂

Perfectly fine with the change though and I'm sure whatever you post @crimsontadpoles will be great, whatever topic you decide to put them in

Or just put them in both like Thrilho says and cover your bases lol

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

KratosMD

@RogerRoger Well it's become I don't put in much effort in my posts regarding the games. I'll just say stuff such as "I really liked the game" and then I'll cover some general aspects of it, but that's pretty much it. I prefer to talk about as many games as possible rather than focusing on one at a time basically.

@crimsontadpoles You shouldn't feel like that though, as @Ralizah described in the "User reviews" thread, you can post reviews and impressions as well as everything in between and it doesn't even have to be that long either.

KratosMD

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Then you're doing better than me, as I'm probably at 98% waffle!

@KratosMD Yeah, I have noticed that my reviews have become longer the less games I play. I used to get through things quite quickly, and even have two or three games on the go simultaneously, but nowadays I'm playing one thing at a time, and slowly at that. Were I to play more, I simply wouldn't have the time to keep producing walls of text every other day.

So I can totally understand wanting to discuss a broader range of games and trying to avoid getting bogged down in deep analysis. Hopefully, now that we've found a two-topic solution, you can do just that. Looking forward to reading your next thoughts!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

Yeah, I have often posted in two or three threads at the same time, but for example I might post in the game specific thread, if one exists, about finishing the game and a few sentences about it, then in the trophy discussion thread if I got the platinum on it, then in the recently beat thread for my full impressions. Now I’ll use the recently beat thread for brief reports about finishing a game and put more organized thoughts in the review thread.
I would echo what’s been said that I feel like everyone who wants to be part of the discussion should be free to post their thoughts without worry for how it may read compared to others’ comments. I enjoy reading all styles of posts, especially if they have a modicum of reasoning behind them. A post saying “Uncharted sux” for example is not particularly meaningful to me, but one saying “I didn’t care for Uncharted because the game felt boring in my opinion” is perfectly fine as an alternative to to a 3000 word break down of the individual aspects of the game and where the game excelled and where it fell short. I have no problem with either approach and welcome all thoughts and opinions. I personally lean more toward making longer posts (obviously) because I enjoy writing, so I hope it doesn’t annoy.

We have a similar situation in the movie thread, although less widespread. Some of us like to wax verbose about a movie we like or dislike and I’ve read some downright fantastic in-depth reviews on that thread. Meanwhile most users just do shorter conversational posts about their thoughts on a movie. Both are equally valid and I hope that when I post long impressions and reviews that it’s not off-putting for people there. I’ve been trying to reign it in a little, but sometimes I can’t help myself. 😅 I’ve got my review of the second half of the MCU coming up and I half-way hesitate to put my full thoughts because they are legion.

I’m actually surprised there is not a character limit in posts here - at least I’ve never hit one. Surely there is. We put the site through a stress test with Noisy’s recent poll as some of those posts listing 1300 games were incredibly long and I kept wondering if we’d run into a limit 😄

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Ralizah

@crimsontadpoles Just think of it like a length thing.

Paragraph or under goes in Recently Beaten. Anything longer goes in User Impressions. And, to be honest, if you're uncomfortable in two threads, then go ahead and post the short ones in User Impressions, too. I'd much rather make exceptions for an arbitrary rule than have you feel uncomfortable expressing yourself in my thread.

Long doesn't necessarily mean good, and, while some of us enjoy the challenge of creating complex, intricate reviews, there's nothing wrong with creating a shorter review as a springboard for discussion. It's not a contest, and I'm pretty sure none of us are judging other peoples' reviews.

I created my thread specifically for people to be able to post about games they've beaten, and talk to other people about games they've beaten, and have a free discourse, because that's what I really value about what we have here.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PSN: Ralizah

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I swear I'd forget my head at times... Just realised I forgot to mention to the parents and children on friday that it's half term this week 😂

Soooo I have the week off. More or less.

Still a few meetings I need to go to during the week and I should really plan out a week or two's worth of lessons now that I have the time just so I can relax a little once we get back...

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy ...wait, it's Half Term already?! Blimey!

Now you can embrace the joy of gaming in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon. Enjoy!

Making It So Since 1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

You're telling me @RogerRoger... I'm the teacher and it's been plastered all over the primary/junior school and what most of the talks in the staff room have been on about the past week!

It was only thanks to my partner telling me as I was packing my bag for tomorrow... or I might've looked pretty foolish... 😂

I've already done that a number of times over the past eighteen years... But I'll be sure to enjoy it again this week

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

LN78

I'm certain this has been asked before but would somebody be kind enough to teach me the method for adding spoiler tags to posts? I keep having to retroactively edit my contributions to discussions when I realise I may have inadvertently included "sensitive" material. Thanks in advance.

LN78

Thrillho

@LN78 Put (spoiler) and (/spoiler) at the beginning and end of the text you want hidden BUT use the [square brackets] instead of the round ones.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@LN78 Just be aware that, if you @ somebody in a post containing spoiler tags and that somebody has email notifications switched on, the spoiler tags won't function in the email, meaning you could still inadvertently spoil things for them (and direct to their inbox, too). Learned that one the hard way!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@LN78 There are a few posts with a lot of the tricks here:
https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps_general_discussion/forma...
And I think there was more somewhere else, but this has the main things there like spoiler tags and inserting images and such. I forget to use some of the little tricks that are possible here. Like subscripts

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Octane

When you think Bethesda hit rock bottom with their $100 Fallout 76 sub; they glitched through the bottom and sank even further. Turns out that aside from your unlimited storage consuming your items, the servers aren't even private. People can still join you, and players have found out that the ''new'' servers they created already had missing loot and evidence of other players being in it before them...

Octane

Heavyarms55

@Octane Having been a huge fan of Fallout New Vegas and 3, it makes me very sad to see how Bethesda and the series has fallen so far...

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic