Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,301 to 3,320 of 10,056

Gremio108

@Th3solution Absolutely 100% that approach would work. Even just four or five extra levels, combined with the knowledge from the times you've already died to them, makes most bosses significantly more manageable. If not, then there's probably some anti-poison ring or piece of armour that would make the difference. Every boss has a trick to beating it*. There's really no shame in looking things up online in these sort of games, or asking the Push Square community like you say. I remember your struggles with Father Gascoigne well. Likewise, I'd have really struggled with parts of Sekiro without the help of @JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I think the reason I breezed through Demon's Souls was because I was couch co-oping a lot of it with my mate. When it came to Dark Souls I was all alone. In a similar manner to the online community, having a buddy by your side can pull you through these games! It's no coincidence that the next Soulsborne game we co-opped was DSIII (at least the first few hours) and that was where it clicked for me. It's true as well that getting yourself into that winning mindset with your character is important. If your character 'feels' right, you somehow play so much better, regardless of the stats.

@Ralizah I'll never forget walking down the stairs at Firelink Shrine in Dark Souls 1, going from a pleasant chat at a bonfire to being ganked by about fifteen enemies five hundred times my level and realising I may have taken a wrong turn. Things are far more clear-cut in DSIII, plus the ability to warp between bonfires is available pretty much from the word 'go', unlike the first game where it wasn't unlocked until roughly a third of the way through. That makes it a lot easier to flee from an area with your tail between your legs.

*apart from the Bed of Chaos, who is just a d***.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

Anyway enough about Soulsborne, time for me to admit something - I've never tried Marmite. I've dabbled in Bovril, which I'm told is something of a gateway meat extract.

@JohnnyShoulder A mate of mine drinks Bovril at the football like water. He can do cup after cup of it. It's horrific to witness.

Thrillho

@LN78

The product that was to become Marmite was invented during the late 19th century when German scientist Justus von Liebig discovered that brewer's yeast could be concentrated, bottled and eaten.

Thrillho

Gremio108

@LN78 I wonder if anyone has ever found some way to have Bovril and Marmite together? If so I'm guessing the salt levels meant they didn't live to tell the tale.

Thrillho

@LN78 I think it is still made from leftovers from beer brewing too.

I’ve had Bovril once at the football. It was quite strange feeling like you’re drinking gravy..

Thrillho

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 @Th3solution Fextralife has been my closest ally playing the From games over the years. Those guys really do know their stuff!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah the amount of stuff I would have missed without a Fextralife check is ridiculous. Bypassed an entire area once, until I looked on there

Thrillho

Should we start a Marmite & Bovril thread?

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Untitled

The Anti Marmite & Bovril league (...Consiting of only me so far) shall protest against the foul villiainy of ridiculously salty spreads and diabolical "beef tea" πŸ˜‚

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

KALofKRYPTON

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

"beef tea"

Bravo - I've never heard Bovril reverred to as beef tea, I like it - makes it sound like some sort of idiotic Heston Blumenthal nonsense.

I love Marmite, though I haven't eaten it in a while - Bovril is right on plan though. I think I'll try to get myself some delicious beef tea for later on

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Ralizah

It's interesting. I thought games running sub-native res on handhelds was mainly a Switch thing because of all the demanding ports and hybrid form factor of the system leading to games being designed to be a bit more demanding than they would have on a dedicated handheld, but apparently a gob of PS Vita games ran at sub-native res, too. Big ones! I thought Gravity Rush and Project Diva f looked terrific on the system, but apparently they were running at 408p.

I guess small screens really do hide imperfections.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah Yeah, loads of Vita games are either locked or variable. The inky OLED hides many 'sins'.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Ralizah

@KALofKRYPTON I guess artstyle is a big part of it, too. Project Diva is a rhythm game with stylized anime visuals, and Gravity Rush's artstyle is soft and dreamlike in the first place. Whereas the biggest sub-native sinners on Switch are realistic AAA games where the crappy textures stand out more.

But yeah, despite the burn in, the Vita's OLED screen is just gorgeous.

Edited on by Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah you have burn in?!

Ralizah

@KALofKRYPTON Yeah. It looks like black splotches on the screen. A common "feature" of OLED screens, from what I hear. Thankfully, it's only really noticeable when the color of the screen is excessively dark, so it's not a big deal, for the most part.

Edited on by Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

@Ralizah I know what it is, but never thought about anyone getting it on Vita... Battery life isn't long enough πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

RogerRoger

@Ralizah @KALofKRYPTON I've had those black spots on my PS Vita's screen from day one. They can't be burn-in because they were there the second I switched the console on. Apparently it's got something to do with the liquid compound used to seal the layers of the screen together, and are random and different for everybody; I consider myself quite lucky, as mine are grouped around the corners and edges mostly. They're only visible when the screen is pitch black (so like, loading screens and developer logos and whatnot). Given the slightest shade of colour, even with all the muted tones of something like Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, they disappear.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Octane Goodness me, what a sh1t show! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic