Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,261 to 3,280 of 3,453

RogerRoger

Welcome back to @Fight_Sora_Fight and @KALofKRYPTON (did you guys co-ordinate or something?).

@Kidfried Makes total sense. With a movie, you know you're gonna give up three hours maximum, but often less; with books, you can see how thick they are and estimate based on your reading speed. Games are, by their nature, unknowns. I've often gotten frustrated with games I thought were six-hour blasts, only to discover that they're double or triple that (especially when, after four hours, I'd thought "this gameplay isn't grabbing me, but I've only got a couple more hours so I'll push on").

So I think, unless it's a launch title I've been eagerly anticipating, I'll definitely lean heavily on HLTB in future because, as @Rudy_Manchego says, length is no indicator of quality but even the most enjoyable of games can outstay their welcome when you're trying to schedule the rest of your life.

Oh, and I'm glad I can stop banging the table now, @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy (although now you're making me feel bad that I haven't gotten around to my own replay, despite saying "I should really replay Horizon at some point" for well over a year now)!

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger

Unlike @Fight_Sora_Fight - I have no other reasons than abject antisocial laziness and slight busying for being away...

Untitled

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Well, I hope you're alright and it's great to see you back!

I'll leave the "big stuff" innuendo to the imagination of others.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

So odd topic so thought I would lob it in here. On the subject of backlogs. So anyway, I was prepping for an idea for a podcast episodes about an imaginary backlog related mental health disorder whereby people can't stop themselves in sales and amass huge backlog. It was looking to be a mockumentary style approach. Anyway, when I thought about it, I thought I would assess my own gaming backlog. Ended going up with Backloggery.com to go through my list.

Now I am very very luckly that I have multiple platforms and have had things like Gold on XB gifted to me. So i thought that I would go through my backlog and add up all the games that I could play. My ground rules were as follows:

1) Wouldn't include my retro collection of games or previous (ish) gen. There are some exceptions or borderline cases which I will come on ti.
2) If I paid for the game, it was included, be it physical or digital.
3) Subscriptions - If it was a gold game or PS Plus I have included it IF it is something I feel I would actually like to play. I have lots of random PS Vita and PS4 games which may be great but I have zero interest. Now whether I will play them over anything else is debatable but the aim is to say, what games could be considered a backlog.
4) Services like gamepass or the NES online sub thing for Switch were excluded at time of writing.
5) Under no circumstances would I tell my wife of the backlog size.

So anyway, I spent some time cataloguing and also listing all the games I have beaten overall for context.

The result? I have over 176 games I could possibly play across the following platforms: PS4, PS Vita, Switch, Wii U, 3DS, XB1 (inc backwards compat titles via gold). I also added GBA just because I had started 1 game.

In context, I think I have 'beaten' something like 100 odd games in the last 4 years and played another 30 odd.

Now I know this isn't necessarily important or indicative of how to play games or anything (or that beating a game means much really) but I was surprised just how much I had in my backlog. In fairness, I think I had bought or owned about 50 of that list, and many were from sales etc. But wow - what a list!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@kyleforrester87 Sorry but you need to come to terms with what happened. Not just burying it in a forum.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

kyleforrester87

@Rudy_Manchego I probably complete 1/3 of the games I play these days. Some games start good, and drop off, and some games are just bad from the get go - I don't force myself to see them through.

I don't mind watching a bad film to completion, but theirs just no way I'm investing 50 hours into a poor JRPG.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Oooh is that The Legend Of Kyle & The Lampshade Of No Real Signficance you're playing there @kyleforrester87 ?

(Bad joke and no idea what Zelda it actually is 😂... Looks pretty nice though!)

.... I think my backlog is maybe only 4 games from over the years that I've just not really got round to beating/got fully in the mood for @Rudy_Manchego

• Darkest Dungeon
  • Breath Of Fire: Dragon Quarter
  • Transformers (The Atari one for ps2)
  • Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven

Breath Of Fire, Transformers and Tenchu I got in a 4 for £5 deal at some local game shop with Sonic Heroes a few years back

Wouldn't mind that list of 176 games of yours though!

Edited on by Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I DO need to replay it sometime actually @kyleforrester87

And yeah I don't purchase a whole lot of games, especially in the last few years when I moved up from Teaching Assistant to Teacher. That is technically the entireity of my backlog

Plus I admittedly like revisiting my older games quite a bit!

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

Rudy_Manchego

@kyleforrester87 I have had to learn to be a bit more like that. There are a few games I played to completion, just because I had started it but now I will quit. For example, I wasn't going anywhere with Sekiro so stopped it.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Wow that is impressive to keep things moving on the backlog. It is probably the better way to be rather than constantly collecting.

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Proabably @Rudy_Manchego , but at least if If you fancy a change of pace you've got 175 other games to choose from!

I have four five (I forgot about Wild Arms 3 on PS4) that I haven't beat and about a hundred in my collection I've probably already played through at least twice each :')

Also might as well reply here to you seeing as I already a, rather then spread it out into the games you've beat topic too

I would try and borrow a PSVR unit if I can but the only other people I know who game is my nineteen year old daughter who doesn't have one & is halfway across the country at uni and a 25 year old colleague from work who's very casual about it.

Plus even if they did have one I'd feel a bit sad asking them seeing as I'm 13 years older then them 😅

So... C'est la vie!

But hey when the PS5 pops round maybe there'll be a PS-VR 2 and I'll be able to snag the original on the cheap

Rudy_Manchego

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Don’t worry, I know no one in easily commutable distance with a PSVR or even remotely similar gaming tastes. It is why things forums like Push Square are so awesome!

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Ha ha Definitely @Rudy_Manchego

Just wished I'd found this place a bit sooner (Well... Realised there was a forum section at least, I'd known of PushSquare for a while!)

Never joined any other ones as they were a bit much... Push Square is pretty chill and friendly I really like that about this place

So thanks all of ya (Roger, Kyle, Ralizah, Solution, Kidfried, Johnny, Kal, Frigate, Noisy, Gremio, mooky, KratosMD + others I can't think of at the moment) for making me feel welcome!

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That is what drew me to this place too, I was looking for a forum after one closed down and this had a similar vibe. Other sites were either too busy or toxic for much liking. Glad you are enjoying your time here!

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic