Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,241 to 3,260 of 10,078

HallowMoonshadow

... Considering my latest Jade Cocoon 2 one was my longest clocking at nearly 3000 words and I REALLY can't help myself be stupidly thorough... I feel that's mostly (and probably deservedly) aimed at me @KratosMD šŸ˜‚

I believe there was discussion about it ages back, when good ol' Tasuki was still a mod (I think even Sammy and Ant weighed in as it was over a user review being deleted) and it was decided that the games you beat thread was the best place for them.

I'd rather see someone inspired to write a bunch (even if say 6 or so paragraphs and not my disastrously long length) rather then just "Beat Fallout 4. Was Good" (for example) that I've seen in there before

Plus... you don't have to read stupidly long posts

Feel free to ignore any of mine in there if you like

-EDIT- Not that I mind if a new topic was made for them or anything like that

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

@KratosMD I agree we need a review thread. I might even go as far to say I'd like specific review for platforms. A PS4 thread for reviews and one for other platforms.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@KratosMD Yeah I do remember a few months back that we had a brief discussion about posting user reviews and where to do them. A variety of ideas jumped around and then we ended up keeping things in the ā€œrecently beatā€ thread.
If there was a solution to make the reviews more accessible, such as @Kidfried ā€˜s idea then I would be all for it. In fact I would welcome a whole other area of the site for them to be highlighted because most of them lately are of outstanding quality. I think the people you tagged write reviews that are better than most dedicated gaming websites official writers, honestly. (Push Square excluded) Certainly I find them, along with ensuing discussion, more helpful and more enjoyable to read and the interaction is important. Because the posts are so top-notch, ā€œGames you recently beatā€ us one of the few threads I have tagged to follow so Iā€™m sure to not miss any content.
Anyways, Iā€™m happy with whatever we decide ā€” as long as we can keep doing them.

Edited on by Th3solution

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

HallowMoonshadow

Fair enough @KratosMD I understand now what you're getting at.

Well seeing as Ralizah made a new user review/impression thread I guess all this is moot now. I'll end up using that thread instead then!

-Edit- Pffft using the mobile version of the website I didn't see you had posted in that thread before I posted here... I feel like a goof šŸ˜‚

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

@KratosMD As somebody who tends to get a little, er... verbose (and never really intentionally, either) I've always been concerned that my inadvertent walls of text would somehow alienate wider discussion or intimidate others from posting their own musings. Whilst I'm always pleased and flattered whenever people read my ramblings, I'd be equally horrified if I ever thought those ramblings were overshadowing other contributions or otherwise turning users away; it's why I created a dedicated Star Trek topic, because I realised me and a couple other Trekkies were frequently derailing other, more generalised threads (and yet it's still happened a couple other times since).

Because the best thing about this place is that anybody can speak up, anytime, about anything... for example, about how they have a concern about a topic being overrun by long-form reviews. So I'll happily support whatever solution is put in place to preserve that kind of atmosphere around here.

Thanks for speaking up!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@Solea That game is getting pretty crazy reviews online. I'm definitely checking that out.

Solea wrote:

For the ... commie sympathizer

???

Solea wrote:

Undertale lover

You got me there. Still my GotY of 2015.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Well done, I have been thinking the same recently. As someone who tends not write huge volumes (and there is nothing wrong with that and your guys reviews are a joy to read), I have been a bit intimidated about posting my thoughts in here and most of the time just not bothered.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Thanks man, that means a lot that it's not just me then.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

HallowMoonshadow

Now I feel like a bit of a butt as I'd never even thought of that...

Sorry guys if I contributed to that in any way! @KratosMD @JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Nah don't feel bad! Everyone is different and is not gonna feel that way. Your Let It Die review was amazing for instance. I personally think it is more interesting to read when someone doesn't like a certain aspect of a game. A low scoring review, especially when it it a bigger release for some reason, always scratches an itch for me.

crimsontadpoles

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I preferred the old system of having a single thread that was welcoming of all opinions big and small. Now it feels like my style of opinions will be too big for the Recently Beat thread, and too small and too low quality for the Reviews thread.

I'll get over this, but the two threads system is going to make me more discouraged to post my views.

RogerRoger

Welcome to the challenges of a broad community appeal; for everybody that likes a thing, there'll be somebody who prefers another way. Whilst I may not be as long-serving as others around here, I think we've been doing alright thusfar and when somebody raises an issue, it's always the right thing to at least try, with apologies to those who may now feel caught in the middle, like they can't post in either topic.

Although I must say that I'm a little dismayed at @KratosMD calling other people's posts "more... sophisticated" than theirs and at @crimsontadpoles fearing that their contributions might be "too low quality for the Reviews thread", and that @JohnnyShoulder feels "intimidated" about posting. I'm so sorry to hear that you've felt like that, guys, because that kinda thing really doesn't and shouldn't matter. There is absolutely equal value in anything you write, and just because I'm eloquent (at times) doesn't mean that I'm more valid in some way. You should never feel like you can't post around here.

And since we're on the subject, there is one thing I know for certain; there are dozens, if not more, of lurkers on every web forum. People might not reply to everything, but they're certainly reading it, every word. If you feel strongly enough to put fingers to keyboard, then trust me, it's a worthwhile endeavour.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I'm pretty sure mine are 90% incessant waffling rather then sophisticated @RogerRoger šŸ˜‚

Perfectly fine with the change though and I'm sure whatever you post @crimsontadpoles will be great, whatever topic you decide to put them in

Or just put them in both like Thrilho says and cover your bases lol

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Then you're doing better than me, as I'm probably at 98% waffle!

@KratosMD Yeah, I have noticed that my reviews have become longer the less games I play. I used to get through things quite quickly, and even have two or three games on the go simultaneously, but nowadays I'm playing one thing at a time, and slowly at that. Were I to play more, I simply wouldn't have the time to keep producing walls of text every other day.

So I can totally understand wanting to discuss a broader range of games and trying to avoid getting bogged down in deep analysis. Hopefully, now that we've found a two-topic solution, you can do just that. Looking forward to reading your next thoughts!

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

Yeah, I have often posted in two or three threads at the same time, but for example I might post in the game specific thread, if one exists, about finishing the game and a few sentences about it, then in the trophy discussion thread if I got the platinum on it, then in the recently beat thread for my full impressions. Now Iā€™ll use the recently beat thread for brief reports about finishing a game and put more organized thoughts in the review thread.
I would echo whatā€™s been said that I feel like everyone who wants to be part of the discussion should be free to post their thoughts without worry for how it may read compared to othersā€™ comments. I enjoy reading all styles of posts, especially if they have a modicum of reasoning behind them. A post saying ā€œUncharted suxā€ for example is not particularly meaningful to me, but one saying ā€œI didnā€™t care for Uncharted because the game felt boring in my opinionā€ is perfectly fine as an alternative to to a 3000 word break down of the individual aspects of the game and where the game excelled and where it fell short. I have no problem with either approach and welcome all thoughts and opinions. I personally lean more toward making longer posts (obviously) because I enjoy writing, so I hope it doesnā€™t annoy.

We have a similar situation in the movie thread, although less widespread. Some of us like to wax verbose about a movie we like or dislike and Iā€™ve read some downright fantastic in-depth reviews on that thread. Meanwhile most users just do shorter conversational posts about their thoughts on a movie. Both are equally valid and I hope that when I post long impressions and reviews that itā€™s not off-putting for people there. Iā€™ve been trying to reign it in a little, but sometimes I canā€™t help myself. šŸ˜… Iā€™ve got my review of the second half of the MCU coming up and I half-way hesitate to put my full thoughts because they are legion.

Iā€™m actually surprised there is not a character limit in posts here - at least Iā€™ve never hit one. Surely there is. We put the site through a stress test with Noisyā€™s recent poll as some of those posts listing 1300 games were incredibly long and I kept wondering if weā€™d run into a limit šŸ˜„

Edited on by Th3solution

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

Ralizah

@crimsontadpoles Just think of it like a length thing.

Paragraph or under goes in Recently Beaten. Anything longer goes in User Impressions. And, to be honest, if you're uncomfortable in two threads, then go ahead and post the short ones in User Impressions, too. I'd much rather make exceptions for an arbitrary rule than have you feel uncomfortable expressing yourself in my thread.

Long doesn't necessarily mean good, and, while some of us enjoy the challenge of creating complex, intricate reviews, there's nothing wrong with creating a shorter review as a springboard for discussion. It's not a contest, and I'm pretty sure none of us are judging other peoples' reviews.

I created my thread specifically for people to be able to post about games they've beaten, and talk to other people about games they've beaten, and have a free discourse, because that's what I really value about what we have here.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

I swear I'd forget my head at times... Just realised I forgot to mention to the parents and children on friday that it's half term this week šŸ˜‚

Soooo I have the week off. More or less.

Still a few meetings I need to go to during the week and I should really plan out a week or two's worth of lessons now that I have the time just so I can relax a little once we get back...

RogerRoger

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy ...wait, it's Half Term already?! Blimey!

Now you can embrace the joy of gaming in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon. Enjoy!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic