Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 3,121 to 3,140 of 10,084

HallowMoonshadow

Sorry but I first played it five years ago @Frigate

Didn't live up to it's lofty acclaim to me in the slightest sadly

Poor translation, the ugly deformed character models in the overworld, the materia system was only ok, rather generic main story beats, some annoying music in one particular place that absolutely did my head in.

Aerith dying was a complete non event to me as I never used her and or had any investment in her. And I actually didn't know how she died
In fact I didn't really care much about the main cast at all.

The breaking point was when Tifa had a slap fight with the female Shinra executive...

I enjoyed my time with The Legend Of Dragoon so muuuuuuuuch more despite all the reviews at the time comparing it to FFVII just because of the antagonist having silver hair just like ol' Sephy boy

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

It's better then IV, all the XIII's and XV @kyleforrester87 at least

One thing I really did like though from VII was Jenova.

Really quite facinating... I know it would've been something akin to Lavos in Chrono Trigger (Never played it but I know about it) but I'd liked to have seen her/it as the villian.

Seph's cool and all but that (Barring Lavos) would've been a bit more unique.

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 if your first experience of ff7 is right now you would probably dislike it too. I played secret of mana on the snes mini and ditched it after my first go, Metroid on the Nes mini - off after 10 minutes. Great games for the time but when you have played the many great games in the last generation it's a tough recommend to first time players. The barriers to entree are numerous with ff7. Rough polygonal graphics, stunted conversations, odd animations, gaps between save points, random battles and they are off the top of my head. FF10 is the only turnbased FF I would recommend to New players.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Thrillho

Yeah, an old housemate of mine downloaded FF7 on PC after I’d gone on about how brilliant it was and he gave up after less than an hour as he found it utterly dreadful on so many levels.

The power of nostalgia!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

Tasuki

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I agree Legend of Dragoon is soooo much better then FFVII. I never liked FFVII myself for me that when the series went down hill. Another PS RPG that I enjoyed waaay more then FFVII is Suikoden.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy I doubt i’d think it was bad, I play plenty of old games and enjoy them now, a good game is a good game. Although I’ll happily admit it wouldn’t be such a powerful experience as it was back then. Not only because of how technology has changed but I was a lot more impressionable back then too.

That said, I’ve seen plenty of people say they are playing FF7 for the first time (in particular since the HD version dropped) and they are really enjoying it, so it’s not as simple as saying old, rubbish graphics - bad game.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

themcnoisy

@kyleforrester87 It's not bad, ff7 was awesome!

WAS awesome. RPGs are one of a handful of genres which have gradually gotten better each generation. Of course some games are timeless - I would never have a bad word said about Super Bomberman!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

kyleforrester87

@themcnoisy RPGs maybe...JRPGs, much less so. In fact, bar Xenoblade Chronicles I don't rate any JRPGs as high as the PS1 era FF games, and they certainly haven't evolved a great deal in the past 20 years.

kyleforrester87

HallowMoonshadow

The overworldy graphics (Mainly just the freaky arms if I'm honest) are really only a minor nitpick of mine @kyleforrester87 (Cloud and co look great in battles) my main gripes were the story, characters and such

As I said to Frigate I ended up enjoying The Legend Of Dragoon (which I played a year or so AFTER FFVII) so I'm not that shallow about the graphics! Especialy seeing as I like to revist the PS1 and 2 😅

Well I can't really say if the FF series properly went downhill after that @Tasuki as I like X, X-2 & XII and the only others I've played of the series are III (which I like), IV, The first disc of VIII, XIII & XIII-2.

I only played that demo of XV but I absolutely hated the combat.

But regarding The Legend Of Dragoon...

Untitled

Yeah the voice acting is so bad in the CGI bits and the translation is just as bad (maybe even worse then FF VII) but I found the world, lore and characters were so much more interesting the FF VII.

Not to mention the combat was more engaging and it had some great battle music!

Not to mention some good themes too like the one for Seles

kyleforrester87

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I don't know about you, but if everyone's raving about how good something is my expectations tend to go into overdrive and I'm inevitably disappointed lol. It's one of those things, you just have to accept you're in a minority sometimes. I can't understand what people see in the Uncharted games but it is what it is I guess.

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@LN78 The series, in my opinion, is just not that fun the play, the stories are boring and the characters are generally annoying and I don't relate to them. As I say, I accept I'm in a minority.

kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

@LN78 Your taking my point to the extreme for some reason - of course I can understand why they might like it in the context of it being "a huge mega-budget Indiana Jones style adventures", but then if I was so inclined I could also say Indiana Jones sucks and I don't understand why people like him or the movies either, plus mega-budget means soulless over produced junk, and this would be an entirely valid opinion.

Do you have a stinky foot fetish? Do you understand why hundreds of thousands (?) of people do?

I know you understand what I am trying to say, and are just being a bit awkward, and I'm fine with that

kyleforrester87

HallowMoonshadow

Oh that's definitely no doubt a factor too @kyleforrester87 , hearing all the praise about it for twenty or so years before finally getting round to play it definitely didn't help.

I have no doubt that it was revolutionary for the time (Particularly us Brits as it was the first Final Fantasy game we got) and can definitely understand why people love it so but it just didn't set my world alight sadly.

I've only played Uncharted 3 of the series.

... It was ok I guess. Some nice set pieces like the plane in the desert and the ship but to be honest I barely remember the story at all...

Haven't even played The Last Of Us.

No doubt I'll probably only think that's ok when I eventually get round to it

kyleforrester87

@LN78 Well I hope my poor explanation made some sense then. I can say the same thing about the Star Wars movies, I honestly think it’s total rubbish, of course I can understand why people like it, but then I question why they might rate it higher than other franchises which I think are much better. That’s where my lack of understanding on the matter comes from.

To apply that to Uncharted, I can’t understand why people prefer them to the newer Tomb Raider games, which I think are fundamentally better.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yeah, Peach is a boss in Mario Bros. 2 (which is certainly better than the real SMB2, which is so difficult that it ceases to be any fun to play). I don't know if you've ever heard of Super Mario 3D World on Wii U, but it's a co-op enabled 3D Mario game, and Peach actually returns as a playable character with her floating ability intact!

RE: Mario Galaxy, it's no exaggeration to say that it's the game that made me passionate about gaming again after the seventh console gen almost killed my interest in the medium (my two favorite genres on the PS1/PS2 were survival horror and the JRPG, and both were withering on the vine and being replaced by boorish Western action games, which had a tremendous effect on me). It was also the first major Nintendo game I'd seriously engaged with since playing the NES as a child, so it functioned as a sort of induction into a new gaming world that I'd pretty much ignored until that point (with the exception of Pokemon games, which I was a huge fan of, even as a Playstation devotee; I pretty much owned my N64 JUST to play Pokemon Snap/Stadium/Hey You, Pikachu!/etc.).

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy wrote:

Haven't even played The Last Of Us.

No doubt I'll probably only think that's ok when I eventually get round to it

You're not missing much if you're not hugely impressed with heavily cinematic games and/or you've ever read/watched another post-apocalyptic drama in your life and are familiar with the tropes.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@kyleforrester87 @LN78 I love the Uncharted series, but I can’t seem to catch the passion people have for The Witcher 3. Perhaps I tried it at the wrong time and I do intend to try to get back at it one day, but I was expecting a transcendent experience that made my life complete, but after 5 or so hours I got distracted away. Maybe expectations is a big part of the issue. I guess we all have those weird mental blocks for games that the populace adores but we can’t quite understand the allure. Undertale is another one of those for me (reminded about this game in the indie article today). I can’t wrap my head around why that game has such a cult following.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution
I find myself easily distracted away from most games - rare to find something that really gets it's hooks in if I'm honest.

Regarding Undertale only ended up playing it as my daughter asked for it last Christmas - I think it came along at the right time. Before people started to tire of the 8-bit look and the sharp writing coupled with deceptively simple gameplay were a bit of a surprise. It's quite a nice game really.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

HallowMoonshadow

I have heard of 3D world... In hindsight @Ralizah I should've realised that's why it's called 3D World... as World was already taken! 😂

Huh... seems to that point we had quite a similar relationship with Nintendo up to that point with the Wii!

Though I only got an N64 a few years back just for Pokémon Stadium, and the neat Special edition Pikachu N64 for £30

I found Witcher 3 to be pretty good @Th3solution but not completely jaw dropping like most do. The combat is a bit lacklustre but it's got some great writing!

Which is kinda how I feel about Undertale as well. Good but not great. Undertale has great music as well though

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic