Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 2,981 to 3,000 of 3,475

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
That's a nice sentiment - but whether it's from a positions of institutionalised power, or just the person on the street, we as humans just can't help but be tribal.
Categorisation, division and subdivision, segregation and grouping are an inevitable consequence of humanity.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, as I see it, the usage of “bro” and “dude” in today’s phraseology is actually more as an expletive rather than a pronoun or title referring to the actual person you’re speaking to. “Bro, did you see that video on YouTube?!” Can be said to anyone, irrespective of gender of the person. Such is the lexicon of the modern United States. I have no idea if it has to do with legitimate gender neutrality and is progressive in nature or if its just plain laziness. But I don’t think it’s acceptable yet to say, “Sis” or “Chica”, “Girl”, “Girlfriend”, “Lady”, etc when addressing a group of men at the sports bar, unless one is prepared to brawl. However, I hear a group of girls say “Bro” and “Dude” to each other all the time.

Some of it is highly regional too, although with the internet it’s all starting to meld together. I have to catch myself though when I’m tempted to address someone in my real life by “mate” as is frequently done here. I love that British term but it just isn’t used in the U.S. in the same way. It sometimes infers a sexual relationship even, so we have to be careful.
Another example is “sir” and “ma’am” which you may see me use on here from time to time and is completely normal to hear when addressing people where I live. However I expect those terms will soon drop out of the established parlance because of the way society is evolving.

Of course I jest about wanting to be called “Your Highness” but it is interesting to see how language changes and is not only regional, but also individual in its connotations and acceptability.

Oh gosh, did I actually just ramble on about language for that long? Sorry about that. 😅

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON true as a species we tend to try to group together, it's a tribal survival instinct and it's also why we can be afraid of others because they are different as long ago anything different was a potential threat but i like to think that we have the intelligence to eventually overcome those instincts and break down those barriers

it probably wont happen in my lifetime nor that of the next generation but i do think that one day it will

do you want control of the games you buy, do you want to be able to play them when you want to with out needing to pay a monthly subscription & also pay the cost of the game

do you NOT want a faceless company to take your games away at a moments notice if so then #BoycottStadia

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Interesting, indeed.

If there is one thing that frustrates me, it’s when people ignorant of the subject matter attempt to speak with authority on that subject, much less legislate about it. Unfortunately government and centralized corporate executive boards and committees seem to all be like the Parliamentary committee in this article — A bunch of people making decisions and drawing conclusions about things they know nothing about. If this committee reconvenes it would be better to have each member bring their children and/or grandchildren with them to serve as consultants. 😂
To be fair, I think the author of the article is probably a bit biased as well. The committee seems to bring up some reasonable points of concern and worthy of discussion, it’s just their throwing around conclusions and opinions without much research or experience. It also seems like a heavy amount of the proceedings were stimulated by Prince Harry’s comments. I’m not in-the-know about British politics, but I assume that any statement by the Royal family carries much more weight and obligation, so maybe that’s why this session was thrown together so haphazardly.
For example, I recall there has been illnesses and even deaths of people who became so enthralled with MMORPG’s in years past that they didn’t even take time away to eat — I seem to recall a guy in South Korea maybe died of starvation while playing StarCraft because he couldn’t be torn away from the game to eat. (Maybe I’m making that story up or misremembering it. If so I should definitely be asked to serve on this committee.) But a 9 year old girl wetting her pants because she’s busy playing Fortnite isn’t even that abnormal. Er, well... if it is then I might have a problem...

Anyways. Ahem....

I do like the hilariously PCish vernacular that corporate gaming has come up with of calling loot boxes a much more acceptable sounding name - “surprise mechanics.” 😂

Edited on by Th3solution

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution
It's more the WHO decision than anything Harry said, though it is totally fair to say that our politicians (as with most) would rather be seen to legislate based on sensationalism and media driven/fabricated 'public outrage' than actually be fully informed on a subject.

This lot are no better than the scaremongers in the 90s. That at least gave rise to a voluntary ratings system, who knows where this idiocy will end up.

I object quite strongly to 'gaming addiction' being recognised in such a way and being used to legislate. It can certainly be a symptom and focus of unhealthy behaviours - but 'games' are not a substance. The resultant mental activity from playing games can be observed elsewhere. So those 'gaming addicts', removed from gaming, are just as likely to 'fall prey' to something else.

I don't think the industry particularly should be held accountable for the addictive behaviour of individuals.

Regulate 'surprise mechanics' (lol) by all means.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Yes, I think I agree with you. I’m a fan of an emphasis on personal responsibility in general. I realize there are some things that the government or corporations need to do to protect the innocent, but the mindset that we as individuals have to be protected against ourselves because centralized think-tanks know better than we do, well — that doesn’t make sense to me.
I think you’re right about there being individuals who have ‘addiction prone personalities’, for lack of a better term. There have been many a divorce, loss of job, bankruptcy, or physical illness which was related to sports, shopping, fishing, gambling, plastic surgery, over eating, etc, etc. Even devoid of an addictive substance, some people just engage in unhealthy behavior, like you say. It’s a bitter pill to swallow when legislators step into a citizens private life to intervene. I guess what I’m saying, is that I support the right to ruin our own lives (or at least I object most forms of impersonal oversight by those not directly involved in our personal lives and circumstances), because unfortunately the cost of taking away agency is that individuals are deprived of personal freedoms.
It’s a bit of a stretch but the discussion is somewhat related to one of my favorite quotes which I have a shortened version on my profile page here. Basically in a nutshell Teddy Roosevelt is talking about the ‘Man in the Arena’ who represents all of us in our own personal life battles and labors and if you aren’t in the arena with me, having the same battles and experiences as me, then I can’t be bothered to worry about your opinion. It’s not the critic who counts. In other words, he says - Don’t criticize, judge, (or legislate me) if you don’t understand me. And also, don’t expect to have the joy of victory and agony of defeat that I have if you’re just spectating from the crowd.
Anyways, I’ve always found that inspirational. 😄

Edited on by Th3solution

KratosMD

So I was wondering, do you guys know if @Fight_Sora_Fight has left PushSquare or something? His last post was over a month ago, and there wasn't a goodbye post so it made me curious.

KratosMD

FullbringIchigo

i'm wondering if i should change my name from FullbringIchigo to GokuSuperSaiyanGod

what do you think, change or stay the same?

do you want control of the games you buy, do you want to be able to play them when you want to with out needing to pay a monthly subscription & also pay the cost of the game

do you NOT want a faceless company to take your games away at a moments notice if so then #BoycottStadia

Thrillho

@FullbringIchigo I will have even less idea who you are after that. I can't seem to remember peoples names on here that well and you all keep changing your avatars!

Thrillho

FullbringIchigo

@Thrillho i like to confuse people, makes me seem more mysterious than i actually am

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@KratosMD I've noticed the absence of @Fight_Sora_Fight as well, but have no explanation for it, alas. Sometimes real life just happens. I hope they're alright.

@Fullbringlchigo Since I've gotten so used to typing your name out super-quickly, I say stay.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KratosMD i just checked and his last comment was a month ago, so yeah it looks like Sora just up and vanished

i wonder what happened

also that's 2 for stay and 0 for change so far

FullbringIchigo

don't mind me i'm just changing my profile pic every day to confuse @Thrillho

themcnoisy

@KratosMD @RogerRoger absolutely no ideas what happened to Teza aka @Fight_Sora_Fight. I'm still including him in messages but he has gone completely silent.

He did mention he wanted to finish his game of KH3 and his schedule had become too demanding. I hope he is ok

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

I'm finally motherfudging back!?!?!?! 😂

Been WAY TOO long! I missed you all... I need to catch up on soooooooooooooo much it's crazy! xD

Ya don't need to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all ya need is something simple, like someone to take care of - Aigis Persona 3

PSN:GoddessFoxy-E

》My No Commentary PS4 Youtube Channel《

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy You missed so much! — E3 happened including a bunch of Cyberpunk and FFVII hype, Death Stranding got a release date, .... uh, and @themcnoisy is apparently building the next Game Awards GOTY within Dreams! Other than that, it’s the same junk as usual. 😛

ellisael

Building on this conversation since i have been out of loop for 2 months. bites nails

ellisael

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I ead just thinking about you yesterday. End of the year school business I assume?

You hardly missed anything, though!

Kidfried

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic