Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 2,701 to 2,720 of 10,078

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I've got an XZ3 and it suffers the same problem, yeah. I just naturally assumed it was the default behavior of this new phone, as I recently upgraded from an older Xperia which didn't have the new Android update on.

When it appears, the little cog beneath the media volume slider is a shortcut to your ringtone volume control settings. Two taps / three seconds of your life that you'll never get back, but it's there.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON I've got a Huawei on Android 9, so can only assume it is something Sony is doing with the UI.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KALofKRYPTON

@JohnnyShoulder that's more something Huawei is doing with their customisations.

Sony tend to tread pretty close to stock Android these days. Which is mostly a good thing, but in this case, not.

@RogerRoger I've found an (old) APK for a button configuration app that sorts it. Behaves well when media is focused too so I've sorted it now. Will link if you want it.
The clock thing is actually doing my nut in though! 🙄😬

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Thanks for the offer but, since I was lucky enough to upgrade the phone itself at the same time as upgrading to the new version of Android, I've been able to kinda go "well, this is how the new phone works now, I guess" and learn it (and all the other changes). Switch it back just as I've gotten the hang of it and that's what'll properly confuse me!

Didn't even notice the clock thing, but then I wear a watch and have clocks around the apartment, so checking the time on my phone is less of a thing for me anyway.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Ah I see. I actually don't mind the new volume controls as I listen to a lot of music whilst I'm traveling to and from work, and my phone is on silent for the majority of the day any way.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger No worries.

It's this 'clock above clock' thing. I've maintained essentially the exact same homescreen layout for many years, and the notification bar has pretty much always been status stuff to the right, and notifications on the left. But now, becuase of Samsung and their 'notch'... 😠
Untitled

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Dear goodness, how much stuff do you have on your phone?!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Ha!

I very rarely use my laptop unless there's something Windows specific I have to do - or that would just be easier with a keyboard; so phone or tablet (which shares a very similar layout). That's just my Homescreen, left pane is a calendar widget and right has a couple of widgets and a couple of rows of my most used apps

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON First thing I did with my new phone (with my last couple new phones, actually) was remove the baked-in Google app. That disables or removes most of the annoying intrusions, but then I also remove all the social media apps, music apps (save the default Sony music player, which I've stripped down to simply show me the album covers for the .mp3s I've uploaded to the phone's memory) and disable anything that requires my location, so Maps, weather, etc. all get the boot.

I basically have Phone, Messages, Chrome and Contacts alongside the shortcut to my other apps (of which there's only one page) and that's it. Don't even have the network name at the top; I know what network I'm on, why do I need that?!

Damn, I sound old.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Not really.

I understand the appeal of stripping everything out.
I used to root and customise every phone I had. Until Sony slowed down with the bloatware and Samsung's Touchwiz actually got to be rather good.

I've disabled the status bar clock now - shame there's nothing baked in to let me move it back.

QualityGeezer

Has anyone seen the Michael macintrye chit chat joke

QualityGeezer

KALofKRYPTON

@QualityGeezer I'm guessing it's not funny

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

QualityGeezer

@KALofKRYPTON it's very funny actually it's how English phrases don't go together, for instance we can have a chat but not a chit lol

QualityGeezer

KALofKRYPTON

@QualityGeezer I'll take your word for it on how funny it is (eye of the beholder and all that), but 'chit' is definitely a word.

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger You don't wanna see my phone then, I have 3 pages full of apps! That is probably quite tame compared to some I reckon!

KALofKRYPTON

@QualityGeezer I know who he is, he's about as funny as cancer.

@JohnnyShoulder that genuinely sounds horrendous! 😂
Not even alphabetised and categorised in to folders? 😲

JohnnyShoulder

@KALofKRYPTON Nope, the only real order is that the apps I use most often are on the front page.

KALofKRYPTON

@QualityGeezer not belittling anything.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic