Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 10,056

JohnnyShoulder

@beemo I remember those days before I went HD in the 360 era. Fifa and Gears of War I really struggled with.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

BAMozzy

@beemo At 10ft, you should be looking at 75" or more to get the most out of 4k. That being said, you can still get some benefits from a 55" TV at 10ft. The image will look sharper and more detailed - whether you can actually see all the finer details.

An example of that is 'text'. As the text gets smaller on screen, you have fewer pixels to define the edges and shapes. At 1080p, some very small text (say 4 pixels high) will be just a blur - especially letters that have rounder shapes - an L or an I would be OK but A or B or C or E would be difficult but at 4k, you have 16 pixels to create those same letters at the same screen size. Maybe you can't really see those words at 10ft away on a small 43" screen but if you wanted to, you would see nothing but a blurry blob with maybe the odd letter as readable but it would be a lot easier to read on a 4k screen. The main benefit is more in the mid range areas where 1080p starts to get blurry on smaller objects, things like hair/fur becomes more blurred together - tabby cats for example stop looking 'tabby' and become more of a smudge of colour - Ginger and white stripes become a pale ginger cat , light Grey and black stripes become a dark grey cat - they lose their stripes at closer to the camera than they do on a 4k screen because the pixels can't show more than 1 colour.

Its not just these things either - If you look at most films, your brain is filling in information - that green blurry smudge in front of that house shape is grass, that yellow smudge is sand in a desert etc so you don't often really look close but with 4k you can get more detail - more contrast with shadows and highlights which gives the grass more texture, more texture in Sand too as you can almost see each individual grains, Snow too stops being just flat white but almost each individual crystal that can sparkle in the light to give more texture too.

Like I said though, at 43" and 10ft away, you probably won't see these things anyway but they will be there. You may notice that there seems more sharpness. You will find the small print on text a lot easier to read as it won't be so blurry. It will make more difference in gaming as they use more fine lines, more sharp edges than films do so there will be a more noticeable difference than you will see in film/TV. At 43" though, you may have to look for those differences and most of the time, you will be wondering whether there is any difference at all. I doubt you could read text at 16 (4k) pixels high at 10ft away even if they are well defined and not just a blurry mess on a 43" TV. At 55" it would be difficult but maybe not impossible if you have white on black or black on white.

You can of course sit much closer but I would recommend going much larger - at least 55". If you want HDR you could drop down a bit to 49" as HDR is not so size dependent to be beneficial so will at least get some benefit - most TV's under 49" aren't 'great' for HDR and are more 'SDR' TV's that will play HDR content. They are 'brighter' but only because you don't watch SDR with the brightness turned up to max which you do with HDR on these.

According to charts, some would say that you should sit 3-4' away from 55" TV to get the best from 4k and over 7' away you would need to go up in screen size. At 10' away, the charts say you need at least 80" TV's but that is BS - maybe if you want to see a difference with 'every' pixel, every area on the screen, but you can still get the impression of a sharper, cleaner, less blurry/smudgy image, get the impression of more detail - read the cans on a shelf in a kitchen cupboard rather than just see the smudge of colours that indicate the cans in the background because their is more pixels to create that detail, that separation of colours. Players on the opposite side of a football pitch names are readable because there is more pixels to create the letter shapes - point is that detail is there and more defined and with higher contrast content (like bright text on dark backgrounds), that sharpness is more obvious.

The choice is yours at the end of the day, but I would recommend going as big as you can physically fit in that space. 4k is likely to be the only choice going forward anyway but to get the most from it, the bigger you need to go or closer you need to be. I think 55" should be the smallest you should consider and even then you may not see the 'smallest' details clearly in some content - its easier to see a white line on a black background because of the contrast than it will be to see variation in browns on a person's head for example because the colours are closer together.

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

BAMozzy

@beemo No probs - considering you are using a 32" TV now, the biggest benefit will come from increasing the screen size which will of course help with 'small' text because that too will be increased in size. 4k will make it sharper and that can make it easier to read - even at distance - because its sharper with the soft blurry edges that makes small things even more difficult to see. In a pitch black room, you can probably see see a pinhole of light at 10ft away - our eyes are very sensitive to light so text on a solid background (black on white or vice versa) will be easier to read.

If 43" is the most you can afford, its still going to be a sizeable upgrade and improvement over 32". Its going to be easier to see things in games, whilst watching TV etc and its not like you have to sit at 10' all the time - I am sure you could move closer on occasion. If you were going from a 43" HD TV to a 43" 4k TV, I would probably advise you to save your money and keep saving, wait for bigger TV's to drop in price and you to save enough money to buy bigger because the difference will be minimal between a 43" HD and 4k TV at 10' - you will really have to look hard or get closer to see the difference. Going from a 32" to 43" though is a different matter - that increase in size will be much more beneficial!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Octane

@Kidfried Alright, I wasn't sure if I was right or not, and I would feel silly talking nonsense.

Anyway, during one of my ''I need to watch trailers of every upcoming game I'm excited for'' moments, I saw the game Vane on my wishlist. I watched the trailer, and I remembered it was that intriguing game about a bird, a bit like Journey perhaps. Anyway, I moved on, watched a few PSVR games, and a little game called MARE showed up in my feed.

Turns out, it's unfortunately only confirmed for Oculus Rift so far, but it looks like a pretty cool game:

I'm getting strong Last Guardian vibes from it. But it also reminded me of Vane, as you're playing as a bird character. I did some searching, and it eventually brought me to Polygon of all places! Turns out there's this guy that worked on The Last Guardian, left midway development, wanted to make his own game and he joined a studio. That's what turned into Vane. He wasn't happy with the changes the studio wanted to make to his game, so he left (again), to work on his own, and now he's making MARE. A sprititual successor to a game that isn't even out yet which was inspired by The Last Guardian in the first place. And with Vane resembles TLG nothing at all, I can imagine that's due to the changes the studio wanted to make.

Here's another trailer:

Anyway, this is probably completely pointless to you, as I don't think anyone on PushSquare even owns an Oculus Rift (neither do I), but it's a cool story I wanted to share anyway lol. The Polygon article is actually worth a read.

Octane

jdv95

seems that fallout 76 will go down as 1 of the worst games when it comes to userscore.

the average user score on metacritic is 2.1. https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/fallout-76/user...

not gonna lie,i do find some pleasure in that.

granted,actual reviews are not out yet,but i don't think the user score will go up by much anytime soon due to the backlash it has. (valid backlash in some cases)

Edited on by jdv95

jdv95

andreoni79

I share here an interesting read about videogames and violence; not the usual one since this time the journalist interviewed some of the survivors of the 2015 terrorist attack in Paris who always played videogames, shooters included.
This is the direct link for those who can read French; I haven't found an English translation yet.
https://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2018/11/13/13-novembre-...

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Kidfried

@Octane I'm way too broke to ever have an Oculus Rift, but that game looks awesome. Art direction is superb on this one.

Vane I hadn't heard about before either. Put it on my wish list immediately, thanks!

Also, I feel like I'm on the minority on this site, but I feel like Polygon is one of the better sites for game journalism. I get that their politics don't gel with everyone, but their quality of writing is pretty high.

@andreoni79 Sounds like a super interesting read! I will look at this, and Octane's article, in the train tomorrow.

Kidfried

Jaz007

So a thought, why do companies want people playing non-MP games for so long? It makes for MP, but why a company wants people to keep them to keep playing a game instead of having a satisfactory experience and move in to buy another game is confusing to me. I can’t imagine stuff like AC gets that much of MCs.

Jaz007

Kidfried

@Jaz007 I think they want gamers playing for longer, so they keep talking about this game, so it remains trending and people keep buying it.

Kidfried

Octane

@Kidfried I hope it makes it way to PSVR at some point. I just bought one, so I kinda want as many games as possible. And it looks like the type of game I'd be all over.

Well, I still remembered that time Polygon tried to prove that Mario Kart 8 would be the worst selling Mario Kart by using this chart. They predicted 1.28 million total sales, but it ended up at 8 million or something like that. They have a bunch of other nonsense articles as well. It's all over the place really. The pie chart is still the best, I don't think anybody knows what it was supposed to add. Untitled

@Jaz007 @Kidfried More time spent in a game = a higher chance of purchasing MTX at some point?

Octane

Th3solution

@Jaz007 Yeah, I’m not necessarily a fan of SP games all getting to be so long. Occasionally having a 100 hour SP game is fine but most of the games seems to be getting longer and longer. Maybe it’s because a lot of consumers only buy a couple games per year and not everyone has an enormous backlog like *cough, cough * some of us do.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Octane Haha, I never heard about that. But that's so dumb. I only read their reviews and some of the long reads that interest me, so I will admit to maybe not being enough in the know to know about their full output.

The problem behind that Mario Kart article -besides the obvious-, is a problem I have with most (gaming) media. It's journalism based on bias/preassumptions, instead of a neutral perspective.

(Mare is a really cool story and great looking game!)

Kidfried

Octane

@KratosMD Except that E3 is just... E3. It's nice and all, but a live stream garners just as much attention these days. Gamescom is bigger than E3, may as well go there. E3 isn't that important anymore. Now if Sony announced an all-digital PS5, and MS Tweeted ''Keep your old Xbox discs for Scarlett!'' You'd have a point.

In the end, I'm in it for the games. If they can keep delivering games, then I don't really care when or where they announce them. I'm sure they're planning something, and maybe we all look like fools in a year from now thinking this was a terrible idea.

Considering people disliked this year's E3, I think skipping next year's may be a good thing. It's going to be a repeat of this year anyway, minus Spider-Man I guess. This also tells me they can't reveal PS5 games at E3 because they will reveal the PS5 at a later date. Get the remaining PS4 games out of the door first, then start focusing on the PS5.

Octane

Th3solution

@Octane Your statement about skipping E3 ‘because the only new or exciting news they have to share is PS5 related’ makes a lot of sense. I think you’re right. They can’t reveal Horizon Zero Dawn 2, Spider-Man 2, or GoW: The Boy Adventures, or any of their other PS5 games that we know are in development until they nail down a PS5 reveal. If your reasoning is correct, then it’s a wise move to hold out until the PS5 announcement is ready, probably later in the year.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jaz007

My issue is they have games to show off. Nioh 2, Medieval remake, stuff like that. If they made the expectations tempered like we initially expected this year, they could still have an E3. Plus third-part announcements can come too.

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Jaz007 Yeah, we’ll still get the 3rd party announcements and I’m sure they will mention PS4 exclusive things, but some may be presented during the Microsoft show and if so we won’t be detailed about PS extras. There are a couple exclusives left for PS4 that weren’t highlighted at the last E3 like Medieval Remake and Dreams (not sure Nioh 2 has been confirmed, has it?) but probably not enough for a full conference. Xbox went high volume this past E3 and will probably do so again with all the studios they have bought, whereas Sony focused on quality over quantity. For some reason the consensus was that it was a weaker show by Sony as a result and so I get why they don’t want to try that approach again. Especially when games like Nioh and Medieval are not going to be system sellers like The Last of Us and Spider-Man.

kyleforrester87

So I had a bike stolen (a cycle this time) in August, and it cost around £900 so it was quite nice and I was pretty disappointed to see it go. Usually they don't come back to you, especially somewhere like London, but I got a call this afternoon from the police and they picked up someone dealing drugs on it so I'm getting it back!

I did since replace it, so I'm not sure I have room for both now... I've already told my girlfriend hers is going to get moved into the garden, I don't know how that's going to go down though.

Happy Friday and thanks Police!

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic