Forums

Topic: The Chit Chat Thread

Posts 1,621 to 1,640 of 3,623

KratosMD

So I'm starting to realise that I'm finally getting to the point in my life where completing games doesn't matter anymore for me. After having graduated earlier this year, I'm now searching for jobs and trying to change my lifestyle, which means less time for video games. However I'm still interested in playing a lot of games. It just means that now I'll either have to prioritise certain games or just play each game less than before.

This might not necessarily be a bad thing. I spoke out a couple of months ago in a thread (I don't recall which specific topic) that I'm always striving to finish the story mode of each game that I play. But I do wish that I could be that type of gamer who plays a game as long as he/she wants until he/she gets bored of it and moves on. I think this might finally be that time. For example, I've been recently playing AC: Origins but I got fed up with the game after 20 hours and now I'm playing Yakuza Kiwami 2. And I'm thinking about moving on to another game soon as well.

This would be amazing since I've longed for this to happen to me and I believe that's the quintessential way to play video games. Why force yourself to do meaningless tasks for some trinkets or whatever, when you should just play a game as long as you feel like it and then move on.

If I can completely drop my previous mentality, then I believe I've finally reached the gaming version of nirvana, lol.

KratosMD

Kidfried

@KratosMD In growing older, actually the opposite happened to me. I just stopped caring about having to play too many different games, and as a result I became less impatient with other games. (I still play a lot of games, though!)

But, I think I'm pretty alone in this.

Kidfried

Kidfried

Wow, sad. Did my best to post a solution to someone's problem, then my posts get removed.

Kidfried

Tasuki

@Kidfried It's because the OP posted in a foreign language. I know you want to help but also I don't want to encourage them for breaking a rule. I am sure they will see my post and then repost the problem in English.

Thanks for understanding

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

KratosMD

@Kidfried Well the thing is I love variety in general and that's a part of me that won't change. Which is why I still want to have as many experiences with video games as I can. But the problem that always emerges is lack of time.

When you become older I feel like your free time becomes much more precious and so you'd want to spend it wisely. That is, it would feel like a waste to spend your evening grinding away at a Platinum trophy or doing something repetitive in general just to satisfy your completionist mindset. I feel like it would be much better to just pick out a game you're interested it and give it a try for a while. Instead of then feeling obligated to finish it, you should decide whether to continue playing it or move on to something else. That's not how I've been doing throughout my gaming life, and I want that to change because I want to procure as many experiences as possible instead of restricting myself.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

Jaz007

@KratosMD I feel you. I have trouble with finishing games, and it bothers me. I have trouble starting something new and it nags at me when I don't finish something. I mean, I don't need to finish everything, but at the same time, when I look back at games, I feel like I appreciate the ones I beat more than the ones I didn't. Of course, there may also be a reason I finished it too, but I feel like something is missing if I don't. Half-complete stories I think are the main issue I think. I agree completely about platinums. I've never intentionally gotten a platinum. There are just too many games for that.
I kind of want both though, to just let go of not finishing games, but also to just buckle down and finish them. So instead, I get neither.

Backkoggery ID: Jaz007

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD I'm a big believer of only playing games until they are fun. I don't see the point of playing games just to complete them if you are not enjoying the experience. Sure games will sometimes have certain levels or sections which you don't enjoy, which sometimes you can grit your teeth and get through until the next enjoyable section.

I think I'm at that stage with Monster Hunter World. The main gameplay is awesome, but it feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over again, just with different monsters. Which I'm finding a bit of a drag tbh.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KratosMD

@Jaz007 "I feel like I appreciate the ones I beat more than the ones I didn't" This sentence piqued my interest since I do wonder whether I would've been better off not finishing every game. For example, I disliked MGS3 because I felt that the ending went on for too long (which I thought because I was rushing through the game). If I had stopped playing it before I grew frustrated, maybe my opinion of it would've been much better than it is now.

But yeah, I have the same problem as you regarding letting go of games. I feel like if I can overcome this problem, I'd enjoy my gaming life so much more. I would constantly be having fun instead of feeling pressured into finishing one game that I've lost interest in and holding off on playing another game that I'm more interested in. Also, who's to say that you won't return to that game down the line eventually. I just think it would feel more liberating being able to switch between major games at all times, instead of being glued to a single one for a long time.

@JohnnyShoulder Totally feel you regarding Monster Hunter. I've played so many iterations of that series and it has never been able to capture my attention for a long time. It just feels like grinding in order to grind some more, I don't like games like that.

I've just felt for the longest time ever that I want to gather experiences by playing as many games as possible. I started gaming rather late and I've had so much to catch up to, even now. But rushing through games has only led me to enjoy them less than if I had taken my time with each one. It sucks but I mean, maybe I would have never gotten an opportunity to play through a specific game if I had waited too long. So while the experience wasn't the best, I think it's good that I've at least gained it.

KratosMD

Tasuki

@JohnnyShoulder @KratosMD I feel the same way about Monster Hunter World. It's a bit better with friends but in the end it still feels the same. I am not sure how people hold this game in such high regards with such repetitive gameplay, but as they say to each their own.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

TowaHerschel7

@Tasuki Honestly it has WAY less content than 3 Ultimate and 4 Ultimate which I feel were somewhat better games not even taking into account how much more content they had compared to World.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Waves of Adventure and Role Playing PS4 Community: Join Today!

Twitter:

mookysam

@Kidfried I'm the same actually. As I've got older (in my 30's) I don't feel pressure to quickly move on from title to title or play lots of games at once. It's nice to finish what I play and just go at a pace that allows me to properly enjoy them. I'm happy to wait until Christmas for Red Dead Redemption 2 and Spider-Man.

mookysam

PSN: mookysam

WanderingBullet

@TowaHerschel7 I don't play the 3DS versions but don't they have the advantage of reusing assets (monsters) from previous games? I mean in a sense it's like a sports game where the developers reuse assets from previous games but maybe slightly improving them. MHW is a new game altogether. If Capcom releases MHW2 they could reuse the monsters from the first game as well adding new ones.

In regards to the game be repetitive, I think all loot based games are repetitive. At least with MHW the AI is really good which adds a bit of randomness to the fights.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

RogerRoger

@Kidfried @mookysam I'd say I'm the same as you both describe, save for the fact that my insomnia usually means that I finish new releases relatively quickly. When I was younger, I'd play two or three different genres at once, or I'd rush things to beat the next release date.

Now, save for a little bit of nervousness about bumping into spoilers online, I'm quite happy to leave things on my shelf until I'm good and ready for them.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet Most, if not all video games are repetitive by their very nature. Some games hide it better than others, and some people can put up with different things to different degrees. I managed to play the main story campaigns of both The Divison and Destiny 2. Not sure if I can be bothered to go back to MWH. I'm not saying it is a bad game or anything, just not for me.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Octane

What's up with PS4 discs not fitting in their game case? Whenever I buy a game, unwrap the plastic, and open it, the first thing that happens is the disc falling out. They're never in place

Octane

Kidfried

@Octane AL WAYS. Never had this during previous generations.

Kidfried

FullbringIchigo

@Octane i noticed that too and not just with PS4 games but also XB1 games and DVD's lately

"Don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history make it's own judgments"

WanderingBullet

@Octane This happens to me quite often. I figured it was down to the courier not handling the parcel with care during shipping.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Th3solution

@Octane I don’t have this happen much, but I have opened up the case to find a cracked disc before. 🙁

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Octane

@Kidfried @FullbringIchigo @WanderingBullet Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'm always worried about scratching the discs, so far they've arrived fine. Whoever is packaging these things, they seem to just throw 'em in and close the case. I've never gotten one that was stuck to the little nub or whatever that thing is called. It's so weird!

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic